House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bert

Want To Agree New Tenancy Agreement

... reduce the rent a little? I live in Worcester, I don't think there is sufficient evidence for falling rents as there is in London. Nothing ever gets fixed by the landlord which I suppose is one argument.

I would also like to change the tenancy agreement so it's based on an ongoing month by month basis with a months notice if I wanted to move out. At the moment it's either 6 or 12 months which I feel is far to strict.

Any ideas?

... reduce the rent a little? I live in Worcester, I don't think there is sufficient evidence for falling rents as there is in London. Nothing ever gets fixed by the landlord which I suppose is one argument.

I would also like to change the tenancy agreement so it's based on an ongoing month by month basis with a months notice if I wanted to move out. At the moment it's either 6 or 12 months which I feel is far to strict.

Any ideas?

It won't be easy to persuade your landlord to reduce the rent if you can only commit to a month to month contract.

If you have been a model tenant, causing no problems, you have a chance. I rent out to a female friend and she never bothers me at all. In fact, i arranged to fit a shower curtain (she said she only bathed when she moved in and that she didn't need a curtain) and noticed a couple of little jobs needing doing.

She has a 1 year contract but I would probably reduce the rent to keep hold of a good tenant.

If you are a nightmare tenant, you might as well pack your bags now :D

Let us know how you get. Good luck anyhow.

I think I'm a good tenant. Have muttered hardly a word for the last 12 months, am a very tidy person, and don't hide 'girlfriends' 'lodgers' and whatnot in the flat. Whereas I get bothered all the time for inspections, etc.. When I do have an inspection they ask if everything is ok. I say well, actually this has been broken the last 2 months, and it would be nice if the outside of the windows were cleaned because I can't see through it anymore. They say ok, we'll look into it - but nother ever gets done. It's the £200 renewal of tenancy agreement that pisses me off (for doing what?) - this is the only reason why I want to switch to a periodic agreement

I think I'm a good tenant. Have muttered hardly a word for the last 12 months, am a very tidy person, and don't hide 'girlfriends' 'lodgers' and whatnot in the flat. Whereas I get bothered all the time for inspections, etc.. When I do have an inspection they ask if everything is ok. I say well, actually this has been broken the last 2 months, and it would be nice if the outside of the windows were cleaned because I can't see through it anymore. They say ok, we'll look into it - but nother ever gets done. It's the £200 renewal of tenancy agreement that pisses me off (for doing what?) - this is the only reason why I want to switch to a periodic agreement

If you can save yourself £200, explain this to your landlord your reasons for prefering a month to month contract. I think you've got a good chance of getting it reduced but it will be a gamble suggesting a figure that your landlord will not find insulting.

If the rent you pay only just covers his mortgage then I don't fancy your chances. If it's more than his mortgage he may lower it to this amount to keep you there.

The flat I rent out was rented for £775 before I bought and renovated it. I only charge £725 but it covers my mortgage and because I don't use a letting agent, this saves me over £70/month. You could suggest to your landlord that you could pay him directly. This way he could reduce your rent and maybe still be quids in.

You could offer to pay by standing order. This should give him peace of mind. He could still draft up a contract, similar to the one you signed , on a month to month basis. There are examples of these contracts available on the net, again i'd check www.landlordzone.co.uk

Having no letting agent is perfect for me since the flat is on the same road I live on

:)

I think my landlord spends alot of time overseas. My letting agent complains about never being able to contact him. I didn't think it was allowed or 'ethical' to contact the landlord behind the letting agencys back? Besides, I don't have a clue who he is or how to contact him.

Thanks for your responses.

Edited by bert