House Price Crash Forum
Tester

Time For Coordinated Action

I've no doubt that the market will correct itself in the long term but now, how about channeling the energies of the First Time Buyers who browse this site.

I propose that a standard letter be produced with a target audience of Members of Parliament. The aim being to highlight the pertinent issued faced by First Time Buyers and demonstrate the strength of feeling in numbers; a kind of petition.

The standard letter could then be signed and mailed or emailed to your local MP.

What prompted this thought was the link below which made my blood boil. It is yet another example of how the tax environment favours investors thus taking housing away from homemakers:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/property/first...1587306,00.html

Then, how about another standard letter to be sent to our local papers for their letters page.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Tester

I've no doubt that the market will correct itself in the long term but now, how about channeling the energies of the First Time Buyers who browse this site.

I propose that a standard letter be produced with a target audience of Members of Parliament. The aim being to highlight the pertinent issued faced by First Time Buyers and demonstrate the strength of feeling in numbers; a kind of pettition.

The standard letter could then be signed and mailed or emailed to your local MP.

What prompted this thought was the link below which made my blood boil. It is yet another example of how the tax environment favours investors thus taking housing away from homemakers:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/property/first...1587306,00.html

Then, how about another standard letter to be sent to our local papers for their letters page.

What do you guys think?

I think a crack team of psychiatrists in white coats should be parachuted in to incarcerate our politicians in loony bins and save this country from more grief.

If it's there I'd put my name to it.

But don't we need some form of direct action to alert potential FTBs to the likely position that they are putting themselves in? If people genuinely looked at the data and therefore saw the risks then this market would correct in record time. (NO FTB activity = NO chain completion)

Prude

BTL and tax breaks have not caused this boom - cheap money/credit and human nature have done it, as before.

Letter to MPs get publicity if you are lucky but can only ever generate MP type action/solutions/legislation - how often do their solutions work out for everyone?!

As I read in one of the broadsheets today, there is a chinese proverb along the lines of "if you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people." Quick govt fixes to these problems are just like pushing down flat an air bubble in a rubber sheet - another three pop up elsewhere to deal with. The market will fix this one - it always does, just needs time.

I think we need to educate people (HPC is doing this already) as to what debt is, how it works, inflation, deflation, borrowing, repayment, lifetime cashflow, etc etc. Yes most of the population will not get it initially but start them young and who knows.

Rather than letters to MPs, I suggest everyone on HPC seeks out a Discussion Forum on the web (starting in the UK) and find any old excuse to leave a link to this website. Just type "Discussion Forum uk" into google and visit a few. I am going to do this on the Liverpool FC Supporters and the Student Room forums - just because they were on the first google results page. If we all did this, imagine the numbers of linkers.

Great idea!

We just need a template and their names/addresses.

Anyone willing to have a stab at a rough letter?

Great idea!

We just need a template and their names/addresses.

Anyone willing to have a stab at a rough letter?

That's one impressive cat you got there!

Rather than letters to MPs, I suggest everyone on HPC seeks out a Discussion Forum on the web (starting in the UK) and find any old excuse to leave a link to this website. Just type "Discussion Forum uk" into google and visit a few. I am going to do this on the Liverpool FC Supporters and the Student Room forums - just because they were on the first google results page. If we all did this, imagine the numbers of linkers.

Good thinking Tempest - I'll get on it this weekend and let the forum know which ones I've done. If we start a thread for which forums have been covered then between us we could give this website maximum exposure.

I'm on mission - excellent

prude

I think we need to educate people (HPC is doing this already) as to what debt is, how it works, inflation, deflation, borrowing, repayment, lifetime cashflow, etc etc. Yes most of the population will not get it initially but start them young and who knows.

Exactly ... education is the aim. I like your idea about the Discussion Forums.

You are right that writing to MPs has a minimal effect ... but it is the number of people that do it that counts.

I actually believe the Letters page in the local paper would have a bigger impact/audience than one to MPs but will be more difficult to write.

Yes, that's how I found this site.

From a car forum.

Needs a focus - a particular day for eaxmple.

I'm having an alternative 'A' day myself. It will be the day that a number of spare credit cards that I have will be winging their way to the waste bin and any company that has sent me A day guff on BTL gets their business withdrawn - my insurance agent will be the first to get the heave-ho.

In the past I have managed to get letters published in The Times, Evening Standard, The Sun and the Birmingham Evening Mail. Also, an article in The Times was based on an e-mail I sent to The Times Editor. I also sent an e-mail complaint to the BBC about The Real Story and was subsequently phoned and invited to appear on News 24 to go head to head with the producer of the programme (unfortunately I did not have the guts or confidence to take up the offer).

The above isn't too bad for one individual and does show that we can get our voices into the mainstream media.

So, I agree with the ideas that have been suggested (writing to MPs, going on other discusion forums, etc.). I don't think it has to be an either/or situation. Why not give all the ideas a go? Those of us who want to participate can do so and those who think it is not worth the effort can ignore the activity. Each to their own. Personally I like to feel active rather than just waiting for events to unfold.

Good thinking Tempest - I'll get on it this weekend and let the forum know which ones I've done. If we start a thread for which forums have been covered then between us we could give this website maximum exposure.

I'm on mission - excellent

prude

Great. I'll try and do the same - Lets aim to start a thread on Monday to this effect (maybe even ask for it to be pinned!). If it mushrooms all well and good. We are if nothing else educating people

Shine on Harvey Moon - you sound like my kind of guy. Keep at it. I would have loved to see someone from this forum 'head to head' on the news though. I'm sure someone on here wouldn't mind stepping in. Come on volunteers this way - contact Alfie and resurrect the interview.

Prude

Guest Bart of Darkness

Standard (form) letters tend to get ignored even more than individual ones.

From looking at the warning signs in the wider economy, no action will be needed. FTB's (such as myself) would be better off directing their enerrgies towards preserving themselves and their deposit from the oncoming financial sh*tstorm.