House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Bumped Into Ea

Some of you might remember the hilarious conversation I retold here a few months ago with a former Sunday football chum now married to the daughter of a prominent Swansea EA. (Why oh why was that post not pinned?). He now works as an EA in the 'family' business.

Anyhow, I've just got back from visiting my GP or, rather, sitting in my GP's waiting room only to suddenly realise that my appointment is in fact next week and not this. However, it gave me a chance to catch up on back copies of the Readers Digest and National Geographic, to chat with several senior citizens about the problems of the World and to wonder whether the gorgeous woman I am fancying sat across from me is in fact a woman or a rather cunning transexual.

Well, would you believe it but in walks the aforementioned EA. He still looks like Death warmed up (Death was his nickname when he played on the wing - "Over here Death, knock it in!" was a frequent cry to be heard on the footie fields of Swansea.). After the usual pleasantries I did not waste time in getting down to the nitty gritty.

ME: So, what is going on with the housing market then?

HIM: You wouldn't believe it. When did I see you last - 4 or 5 months ago wasn't it? It was bad then but it has got a lot worse since."

ME: (Innocently) Why's that then?

At which point the floogates open. BTW, he is well aware that I posted our last conversation on here.

HIM: Nothing is selling. Everybody wants ridiculous prices and no one is prepared to reduce. Worse, we have got so many houses to let and nobody who wants to rent them. People are asking London rental prices on houses in pretty shit areas of Swansea. Locals can't afford them. Would you pay eight or nine hundred a month to rent out a ****** (Names name of a well known national builder.) house when half of that would have got you a repayment mortgage on the same property three years ago?

ME: Can't you get the rents reduced?

HIM: It's not that easy. Some people are just being greedy and stupid. Most of them can't reduce the rents because it is what they need to cover their mortgages. We've got quite a few people on our books who have reduced their rents after having no renters for over a year BUT then the rent is not even covering their mortage. We get people ringing us up all the time asking us to become their renting agent but when we tell them how much they can rent out for they refuse to believe us and go looking for another agent. I don't give a sh*t about the Londoners because they've caused the problem in Swansea but when I have some local woman who works part-time at Tesco talking to me as if she is Paul Getty because she and her husband have bought a house to rent out I just want to tell them to "F**k off and leave me alone!". You would not believe how many birds in Swansea have speculated in property.

ME: Oh, I think I would. The nutty tarts have a lot to answer for. They watch Changing Rooms once or twice and suddenly they are all into painting everything beige. When one does it it soon gets round on the girly grapevine and they all have to do it. It's like getting married.

HIM: Tell me about it. You know how stupid prices are right now in Swansea. We've got houses on our books that have been for sale for almost two years. They are well over-priced but nobody is prepared to bring their prices down. Can you believe that I still get silly cows ringing me up every week expecting their asking price to go up because the house has been on sale longer! Them and the damn surgeons are the worst.

ME: Surgeons?

HIM: We've got lots of Doctors who are renting out houses. You'd think they would make enough money. Just being greedy if you ask me.

ME: Ah, of course estate agents haven't been greedy?

HIM: (Laughs) Still are. Part of the problem is still too many EAs want the business so are prepared to quote a stupid asking price just to get the business. We gave that up months ago because we simply have too many properties on the books. I think one or two firms are going to go bust soon.

ME: (Very interested) Who?

HIM: (Names one well known firm and one which, I admit, I had never heard of.) Until prices fall dramatically I can't see many houses moving.

ME: I agree. I still think that Swansea is going to see at least 40% fall from the current asking prices.

HIM: At least. I think they are going to fall more. That would be good for us. People round here will be able to afford houses again and people will start moving, buying again. That will mean more work for us and we'll get to make some money. Too many of the agents round here have just got greedy. Making huge commission off just one sale meant they didn't need to do any real work. The sooner house prices fall the sooner locals will be able to buy and we'll see many of the English speculators f**k off back to England. They started this and I would love to see them lose everything.

ME: Speaking of which - what is happening on the auction front? I am begining to see houses up for auction again.

HIM: Still not much in that area but we're expecting it to rise dramatically this year or next. The only people who are selling by auction are those who know they can still get away with some kind of profit. Most people can't afford to do that because they need their asking price to break even. We've not seen any repossessions at the moment because the banks are still lending. You would not believe how many people who have bought to rent but have had no renters so they have gone back to the banks and got a bigger mortgage. *****ers!

ME: So how do you see things planning out in the next year?

Alas, at which point he was called in to see his GP. No doubt he will read this himself sometime later on this weekend and have a laugh about being the Swansea EA equivalent of Deep Throat. I personally think he pretty well sums up the local property market at the moment - an incredible number of properties to rent and/or for sale, asking prices simply ridiculous for London salaries let alone for South Wales salaries and ditto for rental prices. It can only end one way. Interesting inside information though.

were you taking short-hand at the time, recording it or have the memory of an elephant?

I was expecting someone to ask that - but not so early on in the thread.

I used to work in Television and, for several years, I interviewed everyone from Vox Pops on the street through to politicians, royalty, famous actors and musicians, doctors, etc, on everything from fluff items through to complex programmes about new cancer treatments or other scientific break-throughs.

I was known for having, and still have, a brilliant memory not just for word for word conversations but also, from a technical POV, knowing at what point on the timecode (of the tape) a particular part of the conversation occured. It is something that you simply pick up and it is vital in the editing room when you come to put a TV programme together - especially on the tight deadlines allowed for post-production in modern television. You become very adept at not only remembering word for word what someone has said but also at remembering the key phrases they have spoken required for the programme you are making.

Oddly enough, if I meet someone in an everyday setting and I am not stimulated by who they are or what they are saying I have great trouble remembering their name let alone what they are saying to me even as they are saying it. I simply switch off.

sorry, what did you say your name was?

I am awful for that but only if someone has not interested me. I know it sounds rude but I very quickly decide now whether someone is worthy of my interest or not. If not, I seem to blot them out of existence even if they are standing right in front of me. Must be old age.

Here are my threads about my EA friend. Personally, I think the first is a classic. I can't believe it was posted nearly a year ago now.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=2822

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...wtopic=4901&hl=

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...wtopic=6134&hl=

Actually, this could become a history of the decline in Swansea HPs for future generations.

to wonder whether the gorgeous woman I am fancying sat across from me is in fact a woman or a rather cunning transexual.

Check the throat: I don't think anyone's come up with surgery to remove the 'adam's apple' yet. Also, if my experience with my transexual friend (used to work with them when they were male before they had the 'op') is anything to go by, they'll probably act extremely feminine rather than being a typical beer-gulping, belching, fat slapper.

Edited by MarkG

Check the throat: I don't think anyone's come up with surgery to remove the 'adam's apple' yet. Also, if my experience with my transexual friend (used to work with them when they were male before they had the 'op') is anything to go by, they'll probably act extremely feminine rather than being a typical beer-gulping, belching, fat slapper.

Actually, they do adam's apple shaving nowadays. I know this as I used to work, again in TV-land, with a sound recordist who had a sex-changed operation and who, yes, did look more feminine and acted more feminine than many biologically born women.

He moved to Paris and became, ahem, a high class hooker. He is now very wealthy and very happy.

Also, they now do sex-changes at a MUCH younger age and hence the hormones have a greater affect. Thank goodness I am not a teenager today as, instead of the GP telling you to go and have a few beers, play some rugby and get laid (Not in that order I would assume.), he may well refer you for gender reassignment surgery! :blink:

OK! Getting back on subject :rolleyes: these posteds are a great indicator of the state of sentiment with in the market. If Swansea is in anyway indicative of what is happening in the rest of the country, we are not far of the panic stage and repossions.

It is all looking like a really chilly winter.

The Masked Tuplip,

Great posts, by the way.

HIM: Nothing is selling. Everybody wants ridiculous prices and no one is prepared to reduce. Worse, we have got so many houses to let and nobody who wants to rent them ...

HIM: It's not that easy. Some people are just being greedy and stupid ...

HIM: ... I think one or two firms are going to go bust soon.

Great stuff Masked Tulip!!!

to back up your story [and the bits I've left in the quote] here's some REAL statistics. I have searches saved on Rightmove and Primelocation which cover all the EAs in my area [Midlands] apart from 3 crappy tiddlers. The searches cover all houses from £200k - £350k; a pretty fair spread I'd say. (I'm STR by the way).

I've tracked the results this week and the changes to a total pool of just over 300 houses has been 5 new properties; 7 price reductions and 10 sales, on the basis that there are some 30 EAs making up the total thats a third of a sale each in this price range. If you accept that much of the stuff below £200k is FTB land then there won't be much sold there so they are left with the pickings of posher 4 beds 2 baths and bigger.

Everyday there is the same overpriced crap thats been there for months - how much longer can it go on until the stupid EAs realise that they only way they are going to get all this stuff off there books and get their margins back is to start driving down prices. I posted the other week that my local house rag had gone up from a regular 60 odd pages to over 100, with 10 pages of very small print rentals!!!!

Edited by Algie

Some of you might remember the hilarious conversation I retold here a few months ago with a former Sunday football chum now married to the daughter of a prominent Swansea EA. (Why oh why was that post not pinned?). He now works as an EA in the 'family' business.

Anyhow, I've just got back from visiting my GP or, rather, sitting in my GP's waiting room only to suddenly realise that my appointment is in fact next week and not this. However, it gave me a chance to catch up on back copies of the Readers Digest and National Geographic, to chat with several senior citizens about the problems of the World and to wonder whether the gorgeous woman I am fancying sat across from me is in fact a woman or a rather cunning transexual.

Well, would you believe it but in walks the aforementioned EA. He still looks like Death warmed up (Death was his nickname when he played on the wing - "Over here Death, knock it in!" was a frequent cry to be heard on the footie fields of Swansea.). After the usual pleasantries I did not waste time in getting down to the nitty gritty.

HIM: You wouldn't believe it. When did I see you last - 4 or 5 months ago wasn't it? It was bad then but it has got a lot worse since."

At which point the floogates open. BTW, he is well aware that I posted our last conversation on here.

HIM: Nothing is selling. Everybody wants ridiculous prices and no one is prepared to reduce. Worse, we have got so many houses to let and nobody who wants to rent them. People are asking London rental prices on houses in pretty shit areas of Swansea. Locals can't afford them. Would you pay eight or nine hundred a month to rent out a ****** (Names name of a well known national builder.) house when half of that would have got you a repayment mortgage on the same property three years ago?

HIM: It's not that easy. Some people are just being greedy and stupid. Most of them can't reduce the rents because it is what they need to cover their mortgages. We've got quite a few people on our books who have reduced their rents after having no renters for over a year BUT then the rent is not even covering their mortage. We get people ringing us up all the time asking us to become their renting agent but when we tell them how much they can rent out for they refuse to believe us and go looking for another agent. I don't give a sh*t about the Londoners because they've caused the problem in Swansea but when I have some local woman who works part-time at Tesco talking to me as if she is Paul Getty because she and her husband have bought a house to rent out I just want to tell them to "F**k off and leave me alone!". You would not believe how many birds in Swansea have speculated in property.

ME: Oh, I think I would. The nutty tarts have a lot to answer for. They watch Changing Rooms once or twice and suddenly they are all into painting everything beige. When one does it it soon gets round on the girly grapevine and they all have to do it. It's like getting married.

HIM: Tell me about it. You know how stupid prices are right now in Swansea. We've got houses on our books that have been for sale for almost two years. They are well over-priced but nobody is prepared to bring their prices down. Can you believe that I still get silly cows ringing me up every week expecting their asking price to go up because the house has been on sale longer! Them and the damn surgeons are the worst.

HIM: We've got lots of Doctors who are renting out houses. You'd think they would make enough money. Just being greedy if you ask me.

HIM: (Laughs) Still are. Part of the problem is still too many EAs want the business so are prepared to quote a stupid asking price just to get the business. We gave that up months ago because we simply have too many properties on the books. I think one or two firms are going to go bust soon.

HIM: (Names one well known firm and one which, I admit, I had never heard of.) Until prices fall dramatically I can't see many houses moving.

ME: I agree. I still think that Swansea is going to see at least 40% fall from the current asking prices.

HIM: At least. I think they are going to fall more. That would be good for us. People round here will be able to afford houses again and people will start moving, buying again. That will mean more work for us and we'll get to make some money. Too many of the agents round here have just got greedy. Making huge commission off just one sale meant they didn't need to do any real work. The sooner house prices fall the sooner locals will be able to buy and we'll see many of the English speculators f**k off back to England. They started this and I would love to see them lose everything.

ME: Speaking of which - what is happening on the auction front? I am begining to see houses up for auction again.

HIM: Still not much in that area but we're expecting it to rise dramatically this year or next. The only people who are selling by auction are those who know they can still get away with some kind of profit. Most people can't afford to do that because they need their asking price to break even. We've not seen any repossessions at the moment because the banks are still lending. You would not believe how many people who have bought to rent but have had no renters so they have gone back to the banks and got a bigger mortgage. *****ers!

Alas, at which point he was called in to see his GP. No doubt he will read this himself sometime later on this weekend and have a laugh about being the Swansea EA equivalent of Deep Throat. I personally think he pretty well sums up the local property market at the moment - an incredible number of properties to rent and/or for sale, asking prices simply ridiculous for London salaries let alone for South Wales salaries and ditto for rental prices. It can only end one way. Interesting inside information though.

Its that south wales thing again though- low incomes + keeping up with the Jones's = DISASTER!

Good stuff, MT.

One point raised was the fact that rental properties are piling up. We got our latest rented place just over three months ago, got a little discount for going with a 12 month lease rather than a 6 months. Seemed about the best thing around for the money, although there was no shortage of things to see. Basically, rentals are too expensive for the locals and I'd expect professionals moving into the area were paying the daft prices - now recruitment is drying up and job losses are mounting, there's no one around to pay silly money anymore.

It now seems we could get an even better place for a little less money and there's LOADS of stuff for rent. There's now a few house for rent and for sale. The mentality seems to be the same - 'Either I get the big fat price I want, or I rent it out so someone else can pay my mortgage'. Total denial that the value of their homes/investments is decreasing or that anything is 'wrong'.

That's right. Classic signs in my experience are

* very, very red nail varnish

* Rothman's cigarettes and cigaretter holder

* uneccessarily high heels

* strange girly drinks at the bar

* thick-as-paint makeup esp. lipstick

* fishnet stockings

* affected high-pitched laugh

I once simultaneously had a transexual and a tranvestite colleague who didn't know each other. As a public service I thought I'd introduce them so that they could support each other which I did in a pub but it backfired, each was disgusted and incredulous at the others' behaviour.

OK! Getting back on subject :rolleyes: these posteds are a great indicator of the state of sentiment with in the market. If Swansea is in anyway indicative of what is happening in the rest of the country, we are not far of the panic stage and repossions.

The Masked Tuplip,

Great posts, by the way.

But only if the alleged conversations with EAs are real, don't forget that HPC members specialise in impersonating members of that blighted profession on the internet so I think a grain or two of salt is needed.

I was expecting someone to ask that - but not so early on in the thread.

I used to work in Television and, for several years, I interviewed everyone from Vox Pops on the street through to politicians, royalty, famous actors and musicians, doctors, etc, on everything from fluff items through to complex programmes about new cancer treatments or other scientific break-throughs.

I was known for having, and still have, a brilliant memory not just for word for word conversations but also, from a technical POV, knowing at what point on the timecode (of the tape) a particular part of the conversation occured. It is something that you simply pick up and it is vital in the editing room when you come to put a TV programme together - especially on the tight deadlines allowed for post-production in modern television. You become very adept at not only remembering word for word what someone has said but also at remembering the key phrases they have spoken required for the programme you are making.

That is quite a talent! I'm impressed. I think it was von Neumann, the brilliant mathematician, who could read back word for word every book he'd ever read, or so I believe.

Anyhow, I've just got back from visiting my GP or, rather, sitting in my GP's waiting room only to suddenly realise that my appointment is in fact next week and not this.

Lol, I wont ask what he's treating you for :lol:

Good post.

The hair can give it away sometimes:-

emily.jpg

post-1934-1129296228_thumb.jpg

Basically, rentals are too expensive for the locals and I'd expect professionals moving into the area were paying the daft prices - now recruitment is drying up and job losses are mounting, there's no one around to pay silly money anymore.

Odd you should mention this. About 2 years ago in Swansea a well known IT outsourcer won a big Public Sector contract and, as I know one of the guys who worked on it, they rented out large numbers of houses in Swansea for their staff who were brought in.

After 12 months though the staff were given an option - either to take a post permanently in Swansea or to move back to their main base. Whilst on this temporary assignment the staff got their rent paid by the company plus extra allowances such as school fees paid, etc. As you can expect virtually all the staff did not take the permanent jobs and this has been bourne out by the outsourcer having advertised the same IT jobs in Swansea now for well over a year.

So that one company in itself created a demand for rented accomodation which no longer exists.

That is quite a talent! I'm impressed. I think it was von Neumann, the brilliant mathematician, who could read back word for word every book he'd ever read, or so I believe.

and

Lol, I wont ask what he's treating you for

Are both connected. Unfortunately, with the mind you can't switch it off. As someone once said, stupidity has stopped many a man going insane! :unsure:

I once simultaneously had a transexual and a tranvestite colleague who didn't know each other. As a public service I thought I'd introduce them so that they could support each other which I did in a pub but it backfired, each was disgusted and incredulous at the others' behaviour.

I am led to believe that transvestites and transexuals meeting is a tad like having the Iranians, Iraqi and Israeli delegates side by side at a state funeral!

But only if the alleged conversations with EAs are real, don't forget that HPC members specialise in impersonating members of that blighted profession on the internet so I think a grain or two of salt is needed.

I am thankful to say that one of my split personalities is not that of an EA! :angry:

Its that south wales thing again though- low incomes + keeping up with the Jones's = DISASTER!

Yes. One of the many tragedies that makes up Wales.

I posted the other week that my local house rag had gone up from a regular 60 odd pages to over 100, with 10 pages of very small print rentals!!!!

A fellow Swansea HPCer only commented to me today just how thick last night's property paper was.

I hope not. I get chilblains! :rolleyes:

were you taking short-hand at the time, recording it or have the memory of an elephant?

he made it up. a bit like Plato making up the sayings of Socrates.

re transexuals

i went to a whorehouse in amsterdam one night and was shagging this hooker when i realised it wasnt very wet. it felt more like an onion than an

a tomato if you know what i mean.

well blow me if the woman didnt announce she was a post-op trans-sexual !!!!

even though i was extremely pissed believe me fellas it is nothing like the real thing, i dont know who they think they are kidding.

Great Post! And West Wales isn't far behind. Went to view a local property last week - overpriced by about 40% and I told the EA it was way over-priced. She just phoned me asking what they could reduce the property by to get me interested. Well, I've never come across that before. DESPARATION!

Edited by gruffydd

Good stuff, MT.

One point raised was the fact that rental properties are piling up. We got our latest rented place just over three months ago, got a little discount for going with a 12 month lease rather than a 6 months. Seemed about the best thing around for the money, although there was no shortage of things to see. Basically, rentals are too expensive for the locals and I'd expect professionals moving into the area were paying the daft prices - now recruitment is drying up and job losses are mounting, there's no one around to pay silly money anymore.

It now seems we could get an even better place for a little less money and there's LOADS of stuff for rent. There's now a few house for rent and for sale. The mentality seems to be the same - 'Either I get the big fat price I want, or I rent it out so someone else can pay my mortgage'. Total denial that the value of their homes/investments is decreasing or that anything is 'wrong'.

This is why I am baffled by the actions of our previous landlord. He put up the rent which was one of the reasons we moved - to a cheaper property. It is now back in the paper at £50 on top of the £25 he had alraedy raised it. The rent has effectively increased by 12% in four months. Problems covering the mortgage?

zzzzzzzz