House Price Crash Forum

Crackdown On Council Home Sublets

Here's the BBC's story on this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16499636

This sentence at the end: "The government has already signalled its intention to make tenants who earn at least £100,000 a year pay market rates"

What

The

FECK

Why are these people in council housing in the first place? And why "at least £100,000". That's a massive amount of money to earn in a year and well above the national average. Surely the cut off should be far less than that?

The welfare state was set up as a safety net. Now I am not naive and knew people have been taking the piss for years. But unless I am not understanding it correctly, this is utterly disgusting that a high earner should be in a council property. It sickens me. Its all wrong.

Edited by Roseland69
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1326290197[/url]' post='3229427']

Here's the BBC's story on this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16499636

This sentence at the end: "The government has already signalled its intention to make tenants who earn at least £100,000 a year pay market rates"

What

The

FECK

Why are these people in council housing in the first place? And why "at least £100,000". That's a massive amount of money to earn in a year and well above the national average. Surely the cut off should be far less than that?

The welfare state was set up as a safety net. Now I am not naive and knew people have been taking the piss for years. But unless I am not understanding it correctly, this is utterly disgusting that a high earner should be in a council property. It sickens me. Its all wrong.

See my previous post regarding the means testing you're suggesting. You're looking at it all wrong too, let's go back a few years, you have to ask yourself WHY are relatively high earners NOW not moving out of council properties. They always used to. As soon as your wage went up, you couldn't wait to move out of council housing as is was comparatively inferior to what you could afford in the private sector. Also, pre '88, the AST never existed and rental tenancies were far more secure than they are.

Fast forward 40 odd years to 2012, and this is what a distorted over priced housing market and transient tenancy laws/agreements has made of council tenancies. When I was at school in the 70's it was considered shameful to come from a council house and today, we're now the envy of almost everyone.

You couldn't make it up.

Edited by bomberbrown

In London ex-council properties sell for £350k to £450k, so even if you earn £100k you can only afford an ex-council property, ie the one you now live in. So why buy when the rent will be so much cheaper than a mortgage and you have security plus lots of cash to invest in a BTL to rent out at commercial rates.

Interesting way to look at it as well, I never thought of it that way either.

The 'invest' in a BTL angle is an interesting one too, this has now got me really puzzled. The rules of the 'game' are that if you already own a house outright or on a residntial mortgage blah blah, then you forfeit the right to a council tenancy as simply putting it, you are able to house yourself. However, what if you demonstrate that you have bought a house on a BTL mortgage purely for the purpose of renting it out and becoming a landlord. Do the same rules apply then? After all, it's for me pension innit. dry.gif

£50,000 fine sounds very harsh - which sounds great to me.

Allow me to introduce a real world example, not all sub letters are crooks. A close friend of mine got a contractual job offer in Nottinghamshire, he is a council tenant in Central London. He has a contract for twelve months work and is very keen to take his family with him, do note that this is short term contractual work. Should he give up his council tenancy or sublet?

I advised him to sublet and rent privately in Nottinghamshire, this is what he has done. All of a sudden he is potentially a criminal for doing his best for his family. I suspect that there would be thousands more like him. This is what happens when you have people in government with no idea what it takes for ordinary people to survive, keep a roof over their children's heads and a crust on the table.

Please consider carefully what you would do in the same situation before condeming good people.

1326306311[/url]' post='3229664']

£50,000 fine sounds very harsh - which sounds great to me.

Allow me to introduce a real world example, not all sub letters are crooks. A close friend of mine got a contractual job offer in Nottinghamshire, he is a council tenant in Central London. He has a contract for twelve months work and is very keen to take his family with him, do note that this is short term contractual work. Should he give up his council tenancy or sublet?

I advised him to sublet and rent privately in Nottinghamshire, this is what he has done. All of a sudden he is potentially a criminal for doing his best for his family. I suspect that there would be thousands more like him. This is what happens when you have people in government with no idea what it takes for ordinary people to survive, keep a roof over their children's heads and a crust on the table.

Please consider carefully what you would do in the same situation before condeming good people.

There is always a council house swap option, and it's no different from what a privately bought house occupant has to consider. The point being, it's not the tenants property to let out in the first place, it belongs to the council.

I also believe (I will have to check) that council tenancies can be flexible in these types of situations and that you have to inform the council of your situation or predicament and they will make a decision.

I know for certain you can sub-let rooms in your council house, provided you tell the council and they agree. I read it in my own tenancy agreement. Ironic as I'm in a one bedroomed flat. laugh.gif

Edited by bomberbrown

There is always a council house swap option, and it's no different from what a privately bought house occupant has to consider. The point being, it's not the tenants property to let out in the first place, it belongs to the council.

I also believe (I will have to check) that council tenancies can be flexible in these types of situations and that you have to inform the council of your situation or predicament and they will make a decision.

I know for certain you can sub-let rooms in your council house, provided you tell the council and they agree. I read it in my own tenancy agreement. Ironic as I'm in a one bedroomed flat. laugh.gif

You are absolutely right, there are better options other than to criminalise people. Any one with experience of house swapping? It takes ages, a short term employment contract would be long gone before there is a chance to swap.

Also note, that those who sublet need somewhere else to live, not all subletting is driven by the profit motive.

You are absolutely right, there are better options other than to criminalise people. Any one with experience of house swapping? It takes ages, a short term employment contract would be long gone before there is a chance to swap.

Also note, that those who sublet need somewhere else to live, not all subletting is driven by the profit motive.

I completely agree, but like I've stated, there are already legitimate avenues that your friend can currently take with the council *without* the risk of falling foul of this new soon to be legislation. It just needs their say so.