House Price Crash Forum

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/business/bankrupt-restaurants-are-still-holding-on.html?_r=1&ref=business

You see them all across the country, in shopping malls and street corners, suburban towns and city centers: zombie restaurants.

Many of the undead are part of familiar chains that filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this year: Friendly’s, Chevys, Sbarro, Perkins. The zombie restaurants, barely bringing in enough cash to cover basic expenses, always seem to be one sizzling fajita or glazed chicken skewer away from a merciful end, but somehow keep hanging on — leaving too many restaurants chasing after scarce dining dollars.

“There’s a lot of walking dead,” said Bob Goldin, executive vice president for Technomic, a consulting firm that works with restaurant companies. “A lot of chains, they hang in there and they’re hard to kill off.”

Consumers, who have generally cut back on the number of meals out since the recession began, are benefiting from the proliferation of zombies. Healthy and failing restaurants alike have been forced to discount relentlessly to lure diners. But for the restaurants, particularly small independent operators, the competition from the undead is a nightmare that just won’t end.

Mr. West said that many chains and independent restaurants were able to survive the recession because their costs fell along with demand. Labor costs went down, as high unemployment led to lower worker turnover and gave restaurant owners greater ability to adjust worker schedules and hours.

Some interesting stats in the article.

Looks like we are heading towards a global zombie economy full of over indebted zombie workers working off a debt that can never be repaid just to prevent the political elites from admitting the truth.

Looks like we are heading towards a global zombie economy full of over indebted zombie workers working off a debt that can never be repaid just to prevent the political elites from admitting the truth.

It worked so well in Japan.

I just got a phone call from the wife. She's at the cinema with one of our daughters and it's completely empty apart from them. Perhaps if they'd charged £5 instead of £10 a head it would have been full.

+1, last I went to the cinema was 6 years ago, I paid £8 to see a movie, was in shock and have since decided to just wait a few months and spend less buying or renting the DVD. If it was £5 I would probably be going to the cinema several time a year. The fact that it is £10 rather £5 probably suggest that cinema still manage to make money and so people like me are yet another minority...

The fact that it is £10 rather £5 probably suggest that cinema still manage to make money and so people like me are yet another minority...

Aren't ticket prices set by the movie companies these days? From what I've read, supposedly they get the money from the tickets and the cinema gets the overpriced coke and popcorn money.

Personally I usually only go to the $2 cinema over here; if I'm willing to pay a tenner to see a movie I can buy the Blu-Ray instead.

+1, last I went to the cinema was 6 years ago, I paid £8 to see a movie, was in shock and have since decided to just wait a few months and spend less buying or renting the DVD. If it was £5 I would probably be going to the cinema several time a year. The fact that it is £10 rather £5 probably suggest that cinema still manage to make money and so people like me are yet another minority...

I only go to the kids am viewings. £2 per ticket (£1.25 if we take the risk and don't book in advance). I park for free and we bring our own food and drink. At the standard price of £9 per adult and £6.75 per child we just can't afford to go otherwise. Actually we could but I refuse to pay such ridiculous prices.

x2

Haven't been to the cin ema in years.I'd rather have a few pints than watcha moview with people crackling bags of sweets,talkign,taking mobile calls etc.a doomed industry till they cut the prices.

x3

I've only been to the cinema once in the past 3 years, and even then I winged at the Orange Wendesday price. You've absolutely NO chance of me paying full price these days for what will inevitably be a pile of trash featuring cans of Pepsi and Apple Macs shoved in my face like I'm too stupid to notice.

Edited by tochinoki

I only go to the kids am viewings. £2 per ticket (£1.25 if we take the risk and don't book in advance). I park for free and we bring our own food and drink. At the standard price of £9 per adult and £6.75 per child we just can't afford to go otherwise. Actually we could but I refuse to pay such ridiculous prices.

In the same position, it would cost us nearly £30 for us all to go with the kids. The last time we went to a normal screening was when the wife got some free tickets, other than that its the cheap am sessions and we take our own food/drink.