House Price Crash Forum

Time For Youtube To Only Count Full Views

pl1

I think it's high time Youtube did something about misleading vids. I'm tired of being Rickrolled and people inserting a different frame 1 or putting "The most amazing video ever" blah blah then seeing something stupid.

Time for YT to stick the likes/disklike of the video in the sidebar plus a mouseover preview plus only incrementing the viewcounter if all the video is watched/downloaded (maybe if vid is longer than 2 minutes then this can be on some kind of decreasing scale). Also time for YT to remove ad revenue for videos that have more dislikes then likes.

That should bring a bit of moderated decorum to the proceedings.

They used to have a system for it , you used to be able to see how many stars a video had on the sidebar so you knew which ones were the crap ones.They should never had changed it.Also there are too many ads on YT nowdays , people putting ads on content they don't even own copyright for = wtf.

With the ads - you can tell YT not to give you ads. I never get any (unless the whole video turns out to be one).

I keep the recommendations under control by only logging in if I need to (still don't get ads when I'm not, interesting) and keeping the viewing history cleared.

I do find that YouTube needs frequent heavy attacks with AdBlock Plus's element hider to keep a fair chunk of unwanted crap out of my way. I'm very, very rarely the slightest bit interested in anything other than searching from scratch, seeing new videos from my subscriptions, and sometimes related videos to the one I've just watched. It's going more and more out of its way to make me wade through rubbish to find that.

• 1 month later...

I think it's high time Youtube did something about misleading vids. I'm tired of being Rickrolled and people inserting a different frame 1 or putting "The most amazing video ever" blah blah then seeing something stupid.

Time for YT to stick the likes/disklike of the video in the sidebar plus a mouseover preview plus only incrementing the viewcounter if all the video is watched/downloaded (maybe if vid is longer than 2 minutes then this can be on some kind of decreasing scale). Also time for YT to remove ad revenue for videos that have more dislikes then likes.

That should bring a bit of moderated decorum to the proceedings.

By Jupiter I think Google Youtube search has just started doing this tonight. We must be read in high places.

Archived