House Price Crash Forum

Buyers Rush To Biggest Ever Boxing Day Sales!

pl1

I'm going through the process of replacing my mattress right now, and I can only describe the whole thing as a complete mindf**k. I'm looking for a low-mid range pocket sprung mattress in the region of £500. But the choice is utterly, utterly bewildering.

Do a blind choice - if the figures are whirring around in your head whilst already trying to work out which is more comfortable then it just makes it worse. Tell the assitant to just lead you to the sub price limit beds and see which two or three feel the best then check the prices.

Edited by OnlyMe

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do a blind choice - if the figures are whirring around in your head whilst already trying to work out which is more comfortable then it just makes it worse. Tell the assitant to just lead you to the sub price limit beds and see which two or three feel the best then check the prices.

should one take ones partner and a modesty screen into the showroom?..or can you do a private audition like you can in a HiFi shop?

should one take ones partner and a modesty screen into the showroom?..or can you do a private audition like you can in a HiFi shop?

I can see problems arising if you do the blind test and get the wrong partner, or indeed the sales staff by mistake. :D

Edited by OnlyMe

That's more or less where I'm at. I think we've picked one that's £380, it was very comfortable and I was surprised at the price. It's from an independant store and some people may be pleased to hear is apparently made in Britain, or at least assembled in Britain anyway. So there are some things we can put together.

That's more or less where I'm at. I think we've picked one that's £380, it was very comfortable and I was surprised at the price. It's from an independant store and some people may be pleased to hear is apparently made in Britain, or at least assembled in Britain anyway. So there are some things we can put together.

Very bulky and expensive to ship - like building materials and some furniture, that is pretty much the only reason, together with reasonably high perceived value and associated pricing.

I'd supply a link to the outfit I settled on but it's not that kind of forum

£350-450 (depending on size) is what you're looking at for a quality mattress from an independent direct supplier. The equivalent could cost as much as £800-1000 on the high street. 'No turn' mattresses are a con, 'memory foam' a gimmick, and pocket-sprung is the way to go, the more the merrier

Edited by Charlton Peston

I'd supply a link to the outfit I settled on but it's not that kind of forum

£350-450 (depending on size) is what you're looking at for a quality mattress from an independent direct supplier. The equivalent could cost as much as £800-1000 on the high street. 'No turn' mattresses are a con, 'memory foam' a gimmick, and pocket-sprung is the way to go, the more the merrier

....Relyon mattresses are very good, a mattress that allows regular turning will keep a mattresses like new for years. ;)

The consumer can't keep up with inflation, devaluation in their earnings and rising costs.

High Street sales gamble fails as report shows December discounts did not kick-start struggling shops

Retailers suffer poorer sales t

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2081211/High-Street-sales-gamble-fails-report-shows-December-discounts-did-kick-start-struggling-shops.html#ixzz1iJXS04b5

Now is our chance to buy quality practical, useful goods that we aim to keep and use long-term....things made from commodities like solid wood, cotton, wool, slate etc...these items will be the type of goods where prices are more likely to increase in future....the mass market high turnover stuff of more inferior quality will always be in abundance and stay cheaper....if we start spending less we will begin to have less of a choice, less will be available. ;)

The only thing I got was 7Kg of Aluminium, for £30 in the form of a ladder in Maplins.

Well I was not really looking for anything, but I saw the 2.9m telescopic ladder that I could use to get into the loft. Scrap value it'll be worth something, and a similar one in screwfix sells for £149.99. Good buy that one, that should last some time.

Otherwise nothing much in the sales area that I needed.