House Price Crash Forum

Buyers Rush To Biggest Ever Boxing Day Sales!

pl1

Was just talking to my sister in law and she said tons of her colleagues with younger children pile down there and stock up on the kids clothes during the sale, as its decent quality. Haven't bought anything from Next in years, so cannot comment.

Can't say I would bother. We buy a bit from GAP, but they started reductions before Xmas.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet the Daiy Mail started out wanting to write a "there's noone white left in London!" article but then discovered everyone was a tourist.

Frankly the idea of shopping as a leisure activity, or flying halfway round the world to another country and then spending your time in a shopping center sounds like hell.

But everytime i meet people visting London they ALWAYS seem to have a shoppping trip to Oxford Street (or now Westfield) high on their to do list. Seems the pound devaluation may be working more than the statistics suggest (i doubt these "retail exports" show up in the trade stats)

...we have lived thirty years of debt laden consumerism.....it is all a bit boring old hat now, time for others to buy the things they could only have dreamed of owning...all clever marketing and one of the UK's USP. ;)

Just back from the sales in Edinburgh myself - didn't buy anything :lol:

A big reason for that was the fact that I haven't bought a house yet - no space to buy unneeded items and saving the pennies.

I noticed the same things that others on this thread have noticed - good 50" TV in Curry's, but clearly last year's unsold stock saved for the sales. Next - I heard some time ago that they buy in cheap stuff for the sales - what you see is not their normal stock (that's pretty clear from looking at it). Considered buying a good mountaineering style jacket, but they are hideously expensive and never get put in the sales. It's the cheaper 20-50 pound jackets that get discounted. Visited Black's hoping to get a good deal since they're a whisker from bankruptcy but found that much of their stock didn't even have a price on it.

Pretty busy though - maybe people bringing their purchases forward which could lead to a worse 2012 or perhaps a sign that things are still ok for retailers. Personally I think retail will struggle for the next couple of years.

Yes, we were in Curry's on Monday, looking at TVs and noticing how out of date and "yesterday's model" they were. I wonder if they are going to survive the latest recession.

Coming into this thread a bit late, but just to add my bit.....

Took my mother shopping into a Shropshire market town yesterday, and expected it to be heaving. But the car parks were empty and the streets were empty. I have never seen it so quiet.

But, reading the front papers in the newsagents; they talked about sales records being broken! They're getting desperate imho.

Currys/PC World - hmm, I suspect it is the strongest of the tech retailers in the High Street.

Really? Dixon's Retail Group, which owns both, is languishing at around 9.6p per share (http://www.scotsman.com/business/broker_update_drives_lloyds_to_top_position_1_2019383) and that was reported on the 22nd of December. Even in March Company Watch were commenting on how weak their balance sheet is. They've recovered to 10p per share today, but are still down 56% for the year. (http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Summary?s=uk:DXNS). They've sold off Comet, (to Kesa, which have since onsold it, for all of £2) which was bleeding money, so presumably that helps. And I notice that Moodys changed Dixons Group credit rating/outlook to negative as recently as the beginning of December. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/dec/02/ikea-dixons-retail-gloom-consumer-confidence?newsfeed=true

PC world sell out of date computers for way over the online price of either the components or similar quality computers. Currys currentluy don't even have the latest TVs on their floor. And they certainly don't sell them at competitive prices. There's nothing special about either Currys or PC World. They are just selling mass produced commodities at uncompetitive prices. I see Comet, for instance, now their competitor, have a 47 in LED, LG 8 series, for £899. I suppose if you buy a company for £2 you can afford to do a bit of discounting :-) Curry's had the same model just before Xmas for £1399 including a stand.

Comet have never been part of DSG.

Yes, they were Kesa's, not DSG's. I misread the phrase" When the crisis hit, the likes of Comet and Dixons, owned by DSG...."

Other points fair enough though, they never sell the most up-to-date stuff it's always mainstream as you would expect.

But the main point of being any retailer is to make a profit selling to consumers what it is they want to buy. Take LG TVs for instance. I didn't see one D (latest) series LG TV in Currys on a recent trip. Not one. People who are buying big ticket items are able to do a lot more research into the various merits or otherwise of the items on offer. A few years ago people buying their first computer were still buying second hand Pentium 2s. And dial up internet wasn't so unusual. Nowadays every man and his dog has a much more recent computer - at least Pentium 4 - and usually has broadband. That makes a lot of difference to research opportunities, both for price and quality. It's not just TVs either. We were pricing a vacuum cleaner the other day - a Harry (like a Henry, only bigger). Curry's had it for £30 more than makro, even after taking the VAT into account (added in at the till at Makro). How are they ever going to be able to compete with pricing like that?

Currys remind me of HMV, trying to sell CDs for £3 to £5 which are £1.27, including p&p, brand new on Amazon Marketplace. They're both going to run out of cash long before their lack of profits destroys their balance sheets completely. I'd rather own RBS shares!

Edited by Debbie568

Currys remind me of HMV, trying to sell CDs for £3 to £5 which are £1.27, including p&p, brand new on Amazon Marketplace. They're both going to run out of cash long before their lack of profits destroys their balance sheets completely. I'd rather own RBS shares!

Businesses like DSG are doomed in an age when every man and his dog has a smartphone and can price check any item in ten seconds. They just act as a giant showroom, where people can examine the goods, before firing up a google search and finding that the TV they want is £50 cheaper in Richer Sounds, and leaving the premises. I'm amazed that Jessops camera shops are still in business for the same reasons.

UK shoppers numbers yesterday = -0.7% vs Dec 27 last year - figs from Experian.

How much has be UK population increased by?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13975481

By mid-2010 the estimated resident population was 62,262,000, an increase of 470,000 (0.8%) on the previous year.

I know the new born aren't shopping, but with net immigration & the better weather. Is this just a case of more people with access? should compare it 2009/2008

Businesses like DSG are doomed in an age when every man and his dog has a smartphone and can price check any item in ten seconds. They just act as a giant showroom, where people can examine the goods, before firing up a google search and finding that the TV they want is £50 cheaper in Richer Sounds, and leaving the premises. I'm amazed that Jessops camera shops are still in business for the same reasons.

+1

I said the same on here last week, when I was Xmas shopping in Edinburgh I felt it wasn't busy. I do my present buying over the same few days every year (20th to 23rd Dec) and I've never seen it so quiet. George Street was particularly deserted, so people have clearly stopped spending in the posh shops - last year it took me about 30 minutes to get served in Jo Malone, this year about 5 assistants dived on me when I walked through the door, as there was only 1 other customer. Boots/ M&S doing some trade but less busy than a weekend afternoon.

Different story in Manchester though - I'm down south visiting my family, so popped into Manchester yesterday to pick up a new coat - streets busy, Debenhams/House of Fraser/Selfridges all rammed. Selfridges handbag department was insane. Lots of Chinese tourists. There was a baying mob waiting to get into FootLocker when it opened, Clarks mobbed. I assume Next was the usual nightmare from the amount of bags people were carrying. My mother reported that the shops were mental in the build-up to Xmas too.

Isn't that where the Mail on Sunday's Liz Jones buys her 'essential' £50 scented candles? (Essential even though she's broke)

UK shoppers numbers yesterday = -0.7% vs Dec 27 last year - figs from Experian.

Bad as the weather has been very mild this year. It was "bad" last year due to the big freeze.

I've got to an age, where I'm not fighting in a shop over a TV set or shoes. To hell with the lot of them I say.

Edited by "Steed"

"Curry's had it for £30 more than makro, even after taking the VAT into account (added in at the till at Makro). How are they ever going to be able to compete with pricing like that?

Currys remind me of HMV, trying to sell CDs for £3 to £5 which are £1.27, including p&p, brand new on Amazon Marketplace. They're both going to run out of cash long before their lack of profits destroys their balance sheets completely. I'd rather own RBS shares!"

I wonder if its just poorer people shopping around or do people with money also insist on shopping around? Do High St retailers aim their wares at ordinary people or the wealthier types? I get the impression that staff in shops like PC World or Curry's think that everyone has enough money to go throwing around on extras and extended warranties after shelling out for expensive items.

Often, the major electricals get their suppliers to make specific models for them - thus making it difficult to price match...

Oh crap, it's just occured to me... the obese have bigger fat reserves than the rest of us.

The future is bright. The future is plus-size range.

Don't worry, I read some research a while back regarding survival in concentration camps.

One would expect those with the excess pounds to do better but apparently this is not the case, whilst initially they appeared to be faring better than the thinner people over the long term their bodies could not cope as they were used to a higher calorie intake so took longer to adjust to such limited intakes and suffered as a concequence.

I am not sure what would happen now as the levels of obesity are just so much higher and more extreme. There are an awful lot of people around with 'slow metabolisms' that are carrying enough fat around to last for months, one would think they the fact they got so fat despite eating only lettuce* they would be perfectly suited to longterm survival but one may suggest that withdrawal of their usual diet would mean that they would not actually last very long.

*or so they tell their Dr's and that Gilliam McKeith woman

Just back from the sales in Edinburgh myself - didn't buy anything :lol:

A big reason for that was the fact that I haven't bought a house yet - no space to buy unneeded items and saving the pennies.

I noticed the same things that others on this thread have noticed - good 50" TV in Curry's, but clearly last year's unsold stock saved for the sales. Next - I heard some time ago that they buy in cheap stuff for the sales - what you see is not their normal stock (that's pretty clear from looking at it). Considered buying a good mountaineering style jacket, but they are hideously expensive and never get put in the sales. It's the cheaper 20-50 pound jackets that get discounted. Visited Black's hoping to get a good deal since they're a whisker from bankruptcy but found that much of their stock didn't even have a price on it.

Pretty busy though - maybe people bringing their purchases forward which could lead to a worse 2012 or perhaps a sign that things are still ok for retailers. Personally I think retail will struggle for the next couple of years.

Same here, there are many many many things I would like to buy/upgrade (bed/TV/stereo/home cinema/carpets/kitchen bits and bobs) but simply will not until I have bought my own place (they are all simply too big/bulky to move between rentals).

Surely there are many thousands more like us who are unwilling/unable to make purchases whilst renting. I would love a new bed but I know that my LL would not replace the existing one with anything up to a decent standard, the same with the shitty fridge and oven in my rental.... LL's will only replace with cheapjack makedo items. Surely at some point this will feed through into the wider economy. A good example is that the flat I rent was recarpeted when I moved in, it was done with cheap 'office style' carpets that an OO would not choose for themselves thus loosing a sale for the carpet shops of something that is maybe at least a little bit pleasent to walk on in bare feet....

they also get a bung off suppliers for stocking their lines

Quite possible. There is virtually no money in TVs, Laptops, etc.. Most of the "profits" come from either the ramped up cable prices, or on extended warranties. The majors can make more on a Kettle, Toaster or Food Mixers than they do on on a 300 quid Laptop.

Edited by Dave Beans

jsut wait till we run out of food.it's gonna be a real wtf moment.

Just wait until something else runs out...

People know that something is missing from thier posession... they feel the need to rush & to grab

only to get a few hours of satisfaction.

When they realise what t is they NEED .... you'll see fireworks like you wont believe :o

From the Sky News report this morning it appeared that all the Selfridge's shoppers were Chinese - apparently they are over here for the cheap designer goods.

this is good for the economy ,more money coming in , also sky news have reported that Brazil has overtaking Britain , now Brazil is the world's 6th strongest economy , Britain has slipped to 7th place for now !!!

Tried buying a decent mattress recently? Same thing but much, much worse

Your smartphone won't save you

I'm going through the process of replacing my mattress right now, and I can only describe the whole thing as a complete mindf**k. I'm looking for a low-mid range pocket sprung mattress in the region of £500. But the choice is utterly, utterly bewildering.

I'm going through the process of replacing my mattress right now, and I can only describe the whole thing as a complete mindf**k. I'm looking for a low-mid range pocket sprung mattress in the region of £500. But the choice is utterly, utterly bewildering.

Really no need to spend even half that for a decent pocket sprung mattress. Don't buy from the usual bed superstores, their margins are almost 100%. Online is the way to go. Most online stores have a returns policy so you can return it if you have tried it out and it doesn't suit.