House Price Crash Forum

Buyers Rush To Biggest Ever Boxing Day Sales!

pl1

I don't want to sound too much Colonel Telegraph, or Mrs DailyMail but I've just seen the news, leading with the stabbing incident.

There's was not a single pasty, white English face in the clip.

A hefty bunch of asian (chinese) and various burkas,

I hope tis was gang related. Who wants to be killed for a pair of trainers FFS.

Have a look at this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2078597/Boxing-Day-sales-Record-numbers-shops-open-80-push-grab-shoppers.html

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet the Daiy Mail started out wanting to write a "there's noone white left in London!" article but then discovered everyone was a tourist.

Frankly the idea of shopping as a leisure activity, or flying halfway round the world to another country and then spending your time in a shopping center sounds like hell.

But everytime i meet people visting London they ALWAYS seem to have a shoppping trip to Oxford Street (or now Westfield) high on their to do list. Seems the pound devaluation may be working more than the statistics suggest (i doubt these "retail exports" show up in the trade stats)

I'm sure there are Japanese students at the sales, but it's a fact that a lot of Chinese tourists buy luxury goods here because it is a lot cheaper than in China (even if made in China!) due to taxes, export rebates and China mercentalist "export = good, consumption = bad" policies. Crazy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/shopping-tourists-fuel-record-retail-sales-6281794.html

I don't disagree with the ignorance comment on one thing though: the idea that there are boxing day sales in china.

I actually find it reassuring that the people who bother to get up at 6am on boxing day are mostly those that don't celebrate christmas (Chinese , Japanese, Arabic tourists....) though less reassuring that the response on here is invariably "look at all the non-white people in london, it's another country etc etc etc"

Indeed, the Chinese are flocking to Clarks Village to buy stuff that they make, but its cheaper here... :blink:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/09/chinese-love-clarks-shoes

From my take on numbers shopping in Edinburgh, I think this is it, at least two wheels have come off the consumer wagon. Buses were very empty Thursday Friday and Saturday, to me that is very telling of the numbers coming into the city to shop. It felt to me like people had made a decision to scale back this year,less decorations, parties, noise, and pub goers IMO.

I said the same on here last week, when I was Xmas shopping in Edinburgh I felt it wasn't busy. I do my present buying over the same few days every year (20th to 23rd Dec) and I've never seen it so quiet. George Street was particularly deserted, so people have clearly stopped spending in the posh shops - last year it took me about 30 minutes to get served in Jo Malone, this year about 5 assistants dived on me when I walked through the door, as there was only 1 other customer. Boots/ M&S doing some trade but less busy than a weekend afternoon.

Different story in Manchester though - I'm down south visiting my family, so popped into Manchester yesterday to pick up a new coat - streets busy, Debenhams/House of Fraser/Selfridges all rammed. Selfridges handbag department was insane. Lots of Chinese tourists. There was a baying mob waiting to get into FootLocker when it opened, Clarks mobbed. I assume Next was the usual nightmare from the amount of bags people were carrying. My mother reported that the shops were mental in the build-up to Xmas too.

Edited by Mancghirl

Just saw the BBC evening news coverage and would have to agree that just about all the frenzied shoppers seemed to be of Asian extraction. I guess the campaign to stop cheap knock-offs in China is working.

That's a pretty stupid comment, these are rich middle class Chinese people who can easily afford to fly over to the UK just for a few days and spent a lot of money on designer goods. The reason it's cheaper over here is because the middle class are so large/ rich in China that everything 'designer' is way overpriced there.

These aren't average Chinese people, who quite frankly wouldn't be able to afford the flight out. These are the middle class and I can assure you they are much richer than yourself. China is now a much richer country than us, they have millions of wealthy citizens now. And they also have a lot of super rich citizens earning over $1 billion. I think China is only second to the US in the wealth of it's middle class now.

But who knows how long it will last, the sheer scale of exporting in China means they must be depleting their natural resources at an incredible rate. I have a pretty good idea about how Chinese culture works, and I doubt the people in government or the middle classes care at all how crippled China will be a few decades later as long as they themselves make a fortune in the mean time.

Even so I still believe China's economy is the place to be for at least the next half century.

To be fair getting the camera out at the scene of the crime is probably the best way a passer by can help.

Look at the photo of the notting hill stabbing: led to the guys arrest.

I'm not convinced this justifies their behaviour.

How many other inhumane acts if performed regularly by people would lead to more arrests? Quite a few. Would the world be a better place? Doubt it.

I said the same on here last week, when I was Xmas shopping in Edinburgh I felt it wasn't busy. I do my present buying over the same few days every year (20th to 23rd Dec) and I've never seen it so quiet. George Street was particularly deserted, so people have clearly stopped spending in the posh shops - last year it took me about 30 minutes to get served in Jo Malone, this year about 5 assistants dived on me when I walked through the door, as there was only 1 other customer. Boots/ M&S doing some trade but less busy than a weekend afternoon.

Different story in Manchester though - I'm down south visiting my family, so popped into Manchester yesterday to pick up a new coat - streets busy, Debenhams/House of Fraser/Selfridges all rammed. Selfridges handbag department was insane. Lots of Chinese tourists. There was a baying mob waiting to get into FootLocker when it opened, Clarks mobbed. I assume Next was the usual nightmare from the amount of bags people were carrying. My mother reported that the shops were mental in the build-up to Xmas too.

Interesting. What is propping Manchester up? Public sector must be the main employer there now? Manchester the main shopping hub for that part of England, whereas Glasgow is the main hub for central Scotland?

Edinburgh for shopping? Funny! :) It has the worst shopping in Scotland! We all go through to Glasgow to do serious shopping.

Maybe so, but Edinburgh shops USED to be rammed full of punters at christmas. Something very noticeable changed this year, that is my point.

Edited by dances with sheeple

Interesting. What is propping Manchester up? Public sector must be the main employer there now? Manchester the main shopping hub for that part of England, whereas Glasgow is the main hub for central Scotland?

Manchester is definitely the main shopping hub for the North West, that's a lot of potential punters within an hour's drive. I doubt that the public sector is the main employer, never heard any stats on it though. Most of my folks friends are private sector employees, only public sector employees they know are Doctors/Nurses. Unless you include me (teacher), I don't live in the North West either!

Edit: According to Grauniad article in November 2011, Manchester (city council area) has 20% public sector employees.

Edited by Mancghirl

Maybe so, but Edinburgh shops USED to be rammed full of punters at christmas. Something very noticeable changed this year, that is my point.

"Used to" being the operative words. The council's greed for parking fees, not to mention the less than adequate provision of parking for shoppers due to the permit parking system for residents, has pretty much killed a lot of the trade in the city centre. Some of the shop keepers blame the trams project, but it hasn't been possible to drive along Princes Street for years, much less park there, long before the advent of the trams.

I'm not sure about a very noticeable change this year. We have experienced the decline of the city centre as a shopping venue as a long, gradual decline. And within Edinburgh, the satellite centres, like The Gyle and Fort Kinnaird are also pretty poor compared to other out of town centres like Livingston and further afield centres like Braehead, Silverburn, Glasgow Fort and the like. Even The Forge, which probably isn't most Glaswegian's "day out at the shops" place of choice, is better than Edinburgh's offerings.

B U L L S H I T........................They are just trying to cause a Hype so we all go out and buy more CRAP

Edited by Asheron

Just back from the sales in Edinburgh myself - didn't buy anything :lol:

A big reason for that was the fact that I haven't bought a house yet - no space to buy unneeded items and saving the pennies.

I noticed the same things that others on this thread have noticed - good 50" TV in Curry's, but clearly last year's unsold stock saved for the sales. Next - I heard some time ago that they buy in cheap stuff for the sales - what you see is not their normal stock (that's pretty clear from looking at it). Considered buying a good mountaineering style jacket, but they are hideously expensive and never get put in the sales. It's the cheaper 20-50 pound jackets that get discounted. Visited Black's hoping to get a good deal since they're a whisker from bankruptcy but found that much of their stock didn't even have a price on it.

Pretty busy though - maybe people bringing their purchases forward which could lead to a worse 2012 or perhaps a sign that things are still ok for retailers. Personally I think retail will struggle for the next couple of years.

Just back from the sales in Edinburgh myself - didn't buy anything :lol:

A big reason for that was the fact that I haven't bought a house yet - no space to buy unneeded items and saving the pennies.

I noticed the same things that others on this thread have noticed - good 50" TV in Curry's, but clearly last year's unsold stock saved for the sales. Next - I heard some time ago that they buy in cheap stuff for the sales - what you see is not their normal stock (that's pretty clear from looking at it).

John Lewis do this too - they have some phrase like 'Special Purchase' on the sign. That means its stuff they don't normally sell and not a markdown of regular stock.

I'm afraid I have expensive tastes, so not much I like goes in the sale. However, clothing retailers seem to have had a bad year, so I discovered that an excellent coat I've had my eye on was marked down massively -bought that but its an item that will last for many years. Can't see me buying much else, have got a savings plan for 2012 that involves saving much harder - sorry, retailers of Edinburgh. :)

Manchester is definitely the main shopping hub for the North West, that's a lot of potential punters within an hour's drive. I doubt that the public sector is the main employer, never heard any stats on it though. Most of my folks friends are private sector employees, only public sector employees they know are Doctors/Nurses. Unless you include me (teacher), I don't live in the North West either!

Edit: According to Grauniad article in November 2011, Manchester (city council area) has 20% public sector employees.

The stores open at the Trafford centre at 8am yesterday were very busy - next, debenhams, selfridges, river island to name a few. Selfridges I can sort of understand but nearly 100m queue for Next kids? ******in' nuts.

The stores open at the Trafford centre at 8am yesterday were very busy - next, debenhams, selfridges, river island to name a few. Selfridges I can sort of understand but nearly 100m queue for Next kids? ******in' nuts.

Was just talking to my sister in law and she said tons of her colleagues with younger children pile down there and stock up on the kids clothes during the sale, as its decent quality. Haven't bought anything from Next in years, so cannot comment.

Apparently the Trafford Centre was mentally busy before Christmas too. No recession in Manchester, for some people, it would seem.

Don;t know if anyone has posted it or not but the Daily Mail is headling that major High Street names will go bust within days.

Isn't it rent payment time for the next quarter? Oh dear...

Edit: Just read the story - Blacks and Millets are named (mild winter so far seems to have finished them off), as are La Senza.

Edited by Mancghirl

Went out for the second time (went out yestersay, too). Came back with nowt today, although got some ideas for my internet hook-up.

Honestly, the WORST people have to be the Indians - in every clothes shop they nabbed things and stood in my way.. and in Next, I was looking at a coat on me in the mirror and this imbecile stood in front of me for AGES to see himself in the mirror.

Edinburgh for shopping? Funny! :) It has the worst shopping in Scotland! We all go through to Glasgow to do serious shopping.

My girlfriend's got the Livingston centre 5 mins away. Personally, can't stand Glasgow! (Even though Livi is the Glasgow overspill lol)

Edited by guitarman001

Next - I heard some time ago that they buy in cheap stuff for the sales - what you see is not their normal stock (that's pretty clear from looking at it).

I got a great big stylish Italian-type black coat down to £50 from £110 - well pleased! Also got some good slippers and nightgown (no pipe lol). Next is usually the one I go to first - the shirts are good. Lame ones this year, though. Fashion's taking a turn for the worse - all heading 'Topman'. Sissy clothes. Topman used to do good bootcut jeans but no longer, I see? Only ARC and SLIM and SKINNY.

Edited by guitarman001

FYI I thought Edinburgh was fairly busy, but not bustling. Loads of space on the bus coming back.

Shameful all the clothes on the floor in the clothes shops - people are real animals.

The sales brings out a brand of shopper I don't normally witness - the total nutjob. I once got hit on the head in a branch of Next because some silly cow was discarding the shoes she didn't want by throwing them over her shoulder. Stopped going to Next sale after that.

Sticking to the shops that are fairly middle of the road - M & S for basics, Hobbs/Whistles/Russell & Bromley/Jigsaw for other clothing and shoes, makes for a much more relaxed sales experience. Sadly the great Manchester institution of Kendal Milne has, like Jenners, been bought out by House of Fraser and is now subject to the same frantic shopping experience as Next/Debenhams/Selfridges.