House Price Crash Forum

Buyers Rush To Biggest Ever Boxing Day Sales!

pl1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Chinese tat is shipped thousands of miles to the UK. Chinese tourists fly thousands of miles to UK for sales. Chinese tourists then fly the stuff thousands of miles back to China.

This does not compute....

How about a factory outlet in China, that does sales over there on boxing day.

Sadly petty murder is not going to cut it. We need genocide - at least 10 million in the UK alone, maybe 3 billion worldwide? You could give every afro-caribbean yoof a gun and a knife and a license to kill and it still would not sort our problems. Some of these asians and africans are procreating at 5/6/7 kids per mother. The average murder per afro-caribbean male youth or russian gangstar can only be maybe 0.2/0.3 each tops and they are the most talented killers.

More valium less posting.

the tv I wanted to buy has gone up by 150 quid, no sale here.

everything else seems to be different models that where hidden away at a silly price for a few weeks last year and now come out of the woodwork, however the specs are lower.

not noticed anything that has a proper discount yet.

apart from a xbox that seems to of dropped the same everywhere to near 167 pound, these models where 199.99.

80% off is total ********.

I thought it was funny ebuyer had 30% off a 500GB hard drive - now £70 - These were about £30 before the floods.

....I was hoping to pick up a couple of cheap suits for day-to-day workwear, but I know for a fact that the suits on the shelves this morning weren't their usual range.

You should have gone to Debenhams. They had their regular ranges of suites and work clothes are what seemed like real discounts. At least 50% off in many cases.

I managed to pick up a set of luggage there, cases down from £195 to £84.

You should have gone to Debenhams. They had their regular ranges of suites and work clothes are what seemed like real discounts. At least 50% off in many cases.

I managed to pick up a set of luggage there, cases down from £195 to £84.

I normally do, Debenhams is OK for day to day suits in the £150-200 range and I've picked up some real bargains there in the past over the new year. I'll probably drop in some time this week.

This tallies with what I saw, we went early-ish (8.30) took us a couple of hours to get round (bought very little in fact) and even by 10.30-11.00 it was still very quiet. In previous years there has been a queue all the way back onto the motorway slip-road. I honestly think that after a few years of false alarms this is the year when it has genuinely slowed down.

We went to the next Sale, advertised as EVERYTHING half price or less. This is, in fact, a lie. It is only the things that are on sale that are half price or less i.e. last seasons stuff and stuff they've probably been trying to shift for years. I was hoping to pick up a couple of cheap suits for day-to-day workwear, but I know for a fact that the suits on the shelves this morning weren't their usual range.

We went to buy a dishwasher - it was £230 in Curry's last week (as cheap as anywhere online), £300 today. We asked a sales assistant why it wasn't on sale anymore and she just said that different lines were now on sale. No slimline dishwashers though, unfortunately.

From my take on numbers shopping in Edinburgh, I think this is it, at least two wheels have come off the consumer wagon. Buses were very empty Thursday Friday and Saturday, to me that is very telling of the numbers coming into the city to shop. It felt to me like people had made a decision to scale back this year,less decorations, parties, noise, and pub goers IMO.

From my take on numbers shopping in Edinburgh, I think this is it, at least two wheels have come off the consumer wagon. Buses were very empty Thursday Friday and Saturday, to me that is very telling of the numbers coming into the city to shop. It felt to me like people had made a decision to scale back this year,less decorations, parties, noise, and pub goers IMO.

Edinburgh for shopping? Funny! :) It has the worst shopping in Scotland! We all go through to Glasgow to do serious shopping.

So pleased the Chinese are able to buy cheap tat. Makes a change to turn the tables. I knew all that imported inflation and low tourist rates would be well worth while.

So Chinese tat is shipped thousands of miles to the UK. Chinese tourists fly thousands of miles to UK for sales. Chinese tourists then fly the stuff thousands of miles back to China.

This does not compute....

How about a factory outlet in China, that does sales over there on boxing day.

Once again I`m amazed at the ability of HPCers to construct a tower of speculation on a foundation of ignorance, These are Japanese students living in Britain - they love Selfridges because it`s like a Tokyo department store.

The video of this stabbing incident appearing on the news this morning is quite incredible.

Literally hundreds of people standing around gawping at the kid laying on the floor while he's being given CPR, lots of them holding up camera phones to capture his final moments for their iPad video albums. Then on the other side of the road, dozens of black kids having to be held back from getting to the kid, possibly his friends, by the police who are trying to save his life.

It's like another world, a London that I just don't recognise.

Depressing.

Oh crap, it's just occured to me... the obese have bigger fat reserves than the rest of us.

The future is bright. The future is plus-size range.

Don't worry. There is enough body fat on the leanest athlete to last weeks, and the obese have fat reservesthey can hardly ever access, due to higher blood glucose levels, due to constant grazing.

Better keto adapt now. Even the baked bean stash might be preserved as you run for months on body fat, while the mad hordes feast on remaining carbs and are hungry again in hours.

The wise will have a nice stash of tinned oily fish.

Once again I`m amazed at the ability of HPCers to construct a tower of speculation on a foundation of ignorance, These are Japanese students living in Britain - they love Selfridges because it`s like a Tokyo department store.

I'm sure there are Japanese students at the sales, but it's a fact that a lot of Chinese tourists buy luxury goods here because it is a lot cheaper than in China (even if made in China!) due to taxes, export rebates and China mercentalist "export = good, consumption = bad" policies. Crazy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/shopping-tourists-fuel-record-retail-sales-6281794.html

I don't disagree with the ignorance comment on one thing though: the idea that there are boxing day sales in china.

I actually find it reassuring that the people who bother to get up at 6am on boxing day are mostly those that don't celebrate christmas (Chinese , Japanese, Arabic tourists....) though less reassuring that the response on here is invariably "look at all the non-white people in london, it's another country etc etc etc"

The video of this stabbing incident appearing on the news this morning is quite incredible.

Literally hundreds of people standing around gawping at the kid laying on the floor while he's being given CPR, lots of them holding up camera phones to capture his final moments for their iPad video albums. Then on the other side of the road, dozens of black kids having to be held back from getting to the kid, possibly his friends, by the police who are trying to save his life.

It's like another world, a London that I just don't recognise.

Depressing.

Sad times, the victim's dignity is straight out the window. I'd be interested to hear one of the videoers explain when they would consider watching the footage they recorded.

Sad times, the victim's dignity is straight out the window. I'd be interested to hear one of the videoers explain when they would consider watching the footage they recorded.

To be fair getting the camera out at the scene of the crime is probably the best way a passer by can help.

Look at the photo of the notting hill stabbing: led to the guys arrest.