House Price Crash Forum

Buyers Rush To Biggest Ever Boxing Day Sales!

pl1

Shoppers have been racing through the doors as they try to snatch up armfuls of bargains in the Boxing Day sales.

Across the country customers have been ransacking the rails as they seek out the slashed prices.

Staff at Selfridges' in London were greeted by excitable consumers who burst through the door and raced up the elevators, eager to claim reduced-price designer goods.

Despite the cold weather people started to queue at 10.30pm on Christmas Day, and when the Oxford Street opened its doors for trade at 9am, there were over 2,000 people waiting outside, manned by over 250 security guards and police

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2078597/Boxing-Day-sales-Record-numbers-shops-open-80-push-grab-shoppers.html

Edited by pl1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the cold weather people started to queue at 10.30pm on Christmas Day, and when the Oxford Street opened its doors for trade at 9am, there were over 2,000 people waiting outside, manned by over 250 security guards and police]

This is the mildest Christmas I can remember, did they write this crap last week?.

I had to go out and buy a new router today simply because my previous one failed a few days before Christmas - well, £20 less if I waited until today.

So I drive to one of the largest out of town retail parks and parked a good mile away fearing a massive car-park traffic jam at the retail park. Previous Boxing Days have been manic traffic jams there.

So I walk to the retail park and there is hardly anyone there. This is about lunch-time. Plenty of spaces in the car parks and the roads in and out were not grid-locked.

I honestly think that most people have bought in the pre-Christmas sales and shops relying on massive surges of buyers post-Christmas are going to find out that people are spent out. Those who have cash have already bought and I think the shops looking to sell now are too little, too late - poor management IMPO.

From the Sky News report this morning it appeared that all the Selfridge's shoppers were Chinese - apparently they are over here for the cheap designer goods.

So pleased the Chinese are able to buy cheap tat. Makes a change to turn the tables. I knew all that imported inflation and low tourist rates would be well worth while.

So pleased the Chinese are able to buy cheap tat. Makes a change to turn the tables. I knew all that imported inflation and low tourist rates would be well worth while.

...but a bit nuts that many of the goods were probably made in China anyway!? Good for our economy if they fly here to buy them but I'm sure there's an easier solution which cuts out the middle man...

the tv I wanted to buy has gone up by 150 quid, no sale here.

everything else seems to be different models that where hidden away at a silly price for a few weeks last year and now come out of the woodwork, however the specs are lower.

not noticed anything that has a proper discount yet.

apart from a xbox that seems to of dropped the same everywhere to near 167 pound, these models where 199.99.

80% off is total ********.

The only thing worse than advertorial* is lazy journalism.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&gl=uk&tbm=nws&btnmeta_news_search=1&q=location%3Aall+boxing+day+sales&oq=location%3Aall+boxing+day+sales

Seems like NZ, Oz, the UK, Canada, and the US are all "rushing" to these sales.

I'd go, I just can't work out which country (or even city) I'm supposed to be rushing to this year...

Maybe Murdoch will leave a leave a voicemail (one he's finished hacking it, that is).

(* I wonder how much all these inches and seconds cost, and who pays)

The BBC's incisive report of the incident gets to the heart of what's really important:

BBC News

A section of Oxford Street, near to the underground station, has been closed while investigations continue.

Several shops in the area have been forced to shut early because they were inside the police cordon.

An employee at the nearby Disney Store said the company's outlet was "being quite badly affected" and was "unlikely to open again today".

What is society coming to when criminals are forcing shops to close early? Won't somebody think of the consumers?

From the Sky News report this morning it appeared that all the Selfridge's shoppers were Chinese - apparently they are over here for the cheap designer goods.

Just saw the BBC evening news coverage and would have to agree that just about all the frenzied shoppers seemed to be of Asian extraction. I guess the campaign to stop cheap knock-offs in China is working.

Many stores had slashed the prices of some goods by over 70 per cent, and introduced special 'Boxing Day only' deals on certain popular items'

On topic reporting from the Telegragh :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8978027/Man-killed-during-London-Boxing-Day-sales-stampede.html

'Police arrested a number of men and cordoned off a part of the busy shopping street following the attack this afternoon.

It is not known if the men who were taken into custody knew the victim but the stabbing was said to have taken place following an argument. The victim was described as a young black man.

It happened outside Foot Locker, a shoe shop, on Oxford Street at about 1.45pm.

Witnesses said he had been stabbed in the left side of his stomach and described seeing the final moments of the victim as armed officer who were the first to the scene tried to revive him.

Earlier in the day minor tussles broke out as people fought to get their hands on cut-price handbags from labels such as Prada and Gucci.

Clothing retailer Next employed staff to stand outside marshalling the queues as they filed inside.

Many stores had slashed the prices of some goods by over 70 per cent, and introduced special 'Boxing Day only' deals on certain popular items'

Very very sad. Assuming the killing was solely bargain shopping related, and not a case of the victim just happened to be targeted in the vicinity of some Boxing Day sales event, then it would appear we have brought yet another sad piece of Americana to our shores - as this sort of event previously only seemed to be reported as occurring on the other side of the pond ?

Edited by anonguest

I had to go out and buy a new router today simply because my previous one failed a few days before Christmas - well, £20 less if I waited until today.

So I drive to one of the largest out of town retail parks and parked a good mile away fearing a massive car-park traffic jam at the retail park. Previous Boxing Days have been manic traffic jams there.

So I walk to the retail park and there is hardly anyone there. This is about lunch-time. Plenty of spaces in the car parks and the roads in and out were not grid-locked.

I honestly think that most people have bought in the pre-Christmas sales and shops relying on massive surges of buyers post-Christmas are going to find out that people are spent out. Those who have cash have already bought and I think the shops looking to sell now are too little, too late - poor management IMPO.

This tallies with what I saw, we went early-ish (8.30) took us a couple of hours to get round (bought very little in fact) and even by 10.30-11.00 it was still very quiet. In previous years there has been a queue all the way back onto the motorway slip-road. I honestly think that after a few years of false alarms this is the year when it has genuinely slowed down.

the tv I wanted to buy has gone up by 150 quid, no sale here.

everything else seems to be different models that where hidden away at a silly price for a few weeks last year and now come out of the woodwork, however the specs are lower.

not noticed anything that has a proper discount yet.

apart from a xbox that seems to of dropped the same everywhere to near 167 pound, these models where 199.99.

80% off is total ********.

We went to the next Sale, advertised as EVERYTHING half price or less. This is, in fact, a lie. It is only the things that are on sale that are half price or less i.e. last seasons stuff and stuff they've probably been trying to shift for years. I was hoping to pick up a couple of cheap suits for day-to-day workwear, but I know for a fact that the suits on the shelves this morning weren't their usual range.

We went to buy a dishwasher - it was £230 in Curry's last week (as cheap as anywhere online), £300 today. We asked a sales assistant why it wasn't on sale anymore and she just said that different lines were now on sale. No slimline dishwashers though, unfortunately.

I don't want to sound too much Colonel Telegraph, or Mrs DailyMail but I've just seen the news, leading with the stabbing incident.

There's was not a single pasty, white English face in the clip.

A hefty bunch of asian (chinese) and various burkas,

I hope tis was gang related. Who wants to be killed for a pair of trainers FFS.

Sadly petty murder is not going to cut it. We need genocide - at least 10 million in the UK alone, maybe 3 billion worldwide? You could give every afro-caribbean yoof a gun and a knife and a license to kill and it still would not sort our problems. Some of these asians and africans are procreating at 5/6/7 kids per mother. The average murder per afro-caribbean male youth or russian gangstar can only be maybe 0.2/0.3 each tops and they are the most talented killers.

Just saw the BBC evening news coverage and would have to agree that just about all the frenzied shoppers seemed to be of Asian extraction. I guess the campaign to stop cheap knock-offs in China is working.

Go to Bicester village near oxford. Chinese and Arabs. They run bus services from London into there to get tourists in. Very interesting.