House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prude

Liquid Assets

Are most on here currently renting then?

I am assuming that as most are predicting the inevitable will happen in the near future then the advice is to liquidate if you are able and then sit and wait in a rented property (whilst actively promoting the doom and gloom so that it starts to sink into peoples physicy), and rub your hands as the landlord of said rented property curses the ecomony as their asset falls like a stone.

But how many have been brave enough to sell and rent?

I am assuming that as most are predicting the inevitable will happen in the near future then the advice is to liquidate if you are able and then sit and wait in a rented property (whilst actively promoting the doom and gloom so that it starts to sink into peoples physicy), and rub your hands as the landlord of said rented property curses the ecomony as their asset falls like a stone.

Not sure whether I qualify as a "true" STR as I was relocating due to new job but we decided to rent for a few reasons:

1. to get a feel for the area before committing to buy;

2. to be in a good bargaining position when we decide to buy;

3. I expect/hope that prices will drop as area we have moved to is more expensive than where we moved from.

AL

Hi,

I see you joined the forum today and was just interested by your thoughts of ;

"whilst actively promoting the doom and gloom so that it starts to sink into peoples physicy"

Yes, sometimes the forum can seem a bit doom laden but actually there is alot of analysis going on, links to economic reports and some form of critque of the current factors underpinning the market and some really good posts by the veteran members. There is wider section on investment as well. Housing is about the biggest purchase one can make in their life and unfortunately our media seems very biased towards the vested interest groups involved with profiting from property booms. A few thousand people looking at the economy and the housing debt situation on a web forum is never going to sway general opinions, unfortunately, for this point of the cycle, and some people (FTB) will make some terrible financial commitments they will regret for their lives. Some of us have had the scars of our great booms and busts of our property market in the past. In the uk at least, it has never been "different this time".

So, I don't think so much people are trying to plot a downfall by doom mongering, just trying to cut through the VI rubbish to reach clearer, or more balanced opinions.

I own outright, doesn't really matter to me what happens. Think my kids are pretty much stuffed though. And I can't really see how future generations of people paying 70-85% of their salaries in mortgage debts and bills, unable to afford faimlies, can support any kind of economy. Don't see where the tax money will be generated in that situation for things like NHS, pensions, roads, policing, etc.

Not sure what other peoples STR status is but I remeber there was a thread on it a while back. If you trawl through the archive posts, you'll see it.

Boom and Bust - don't get me wrong I am all for the doom and gloom. The realism and logic that lies behind it needs to get to the masses to give ordinary young families a chance again.

AWOOGA! AWOOGA!

You do realise that HPC and in particular, frugalista, are becoming entwined into the folklore of this expression. The more we use it, the more HPC-hits Google shows for this term. Classic!

It's really rather amusing as frug's posts are so well considered, yet Google seemingly has a mind of its own, hell bent on making him an honorary member of the awooga brothers!

Fash, Kris, Craig and Frug

Think of him as the D'Artagnan to their Musketeers.

All for one and one for all. Wait a sec, that's AFOOFA!

no its..AFOAOFA.

:angry:

Fash, Kris, Craig and Frug

Think of him as the D'Artagnan to their Musketeers.

All for one, one for all. Wait a sec, that's AFOOFA!

C'mon then, take a pop at me now Mr Dead. D'yu want some? D'yu wanna piece a me???

Edited by Sledgehead

My landlord bought years ago, so both he and I are very happy. He isn't losing, nor am I. I've really never considered myself to be "sitting and waiting", rather "living and enjoying", as I don't have a ton of rapidly depreciating debt keeping me awake at night.

Me, brave? No, just not stupid.

Nomadd

My landlord bought years ago, so both he and I are very happy. He isn't losing, nor am I. I've really never considered myself to be "sitting and waiting", rather "living and enjoying", as I don't have a ton of rapidly depreciating debt keeping me awake at night.

Me, brave? No, just not stupid.

Nomadd

Have you never owned then Nomadd? Will you buy in if there is a large correction or will continue being happy renting and "living and enjoying"?

Prude

Have you never owned then Nomadd? Will you buy in if there is a large correction or will continue being happy renting and "living and enjoying"?

Prude

Hummm....that sounds like a pretty good life to me. I would stick with a while.

Prude

Nope, I've never owned. Plenty of opportunity to do so, but I just didn't want to be tied to a place or the debt it involves.

My own personal take is that we will see a large correction in prices over the next 2-3 years, but I still don't think that will tempt me. I'm on a very good deal with my landlord, and as long as that continues, I'll keep on renting. When/if I do eventually buy, it will be a cash-based deal - no 25 years of pumping money into a bank's profits via a mortgage!

Nomadd

completed on 30th September 2004 - cash sitting in an ING account

At 4.75%?

You ought to check the thread on 'where to invest that STR fund' - you can get more than ING's rate at First Direct for starters...(5%)

Also, depending on how much you've got and what tax bracket you're in, you should consider spreading your funds about (ever thought of premium bonds?) ;)

STR'd MAR '05 , 95% in cash 5% in stocks.

D