House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Inflation Surge In Ireland

OCT. 13 8:18 A.M. ET Annual inflation in Ireland rose last month to 3.0 percent, a two-year high, largely because of the surging cost of car fuel and other sources of energy, the government's Central Statistics Office reported Thursday.

The report attributed the jump from August's rate of 2.3 percent chiefly to the end of many stores' summer sales, rises in health insurance premiums, and particularly the worldwide surge in the cost of fuel.

(ext. from Irish Sun)

The headline rate is up from 2.3% to 3.3% this month.

(ext from UTV)

Edited by gruffydd

yes, and their bubble can't be contained by monetary policy as this is now in the hands of the European Central Bank........which has set low IRs for the sluggish economies of France and Germany...........

If Ireland still had its own central bank it would have risen IRs ages ago to quell the house price explosion

and general inflationary pressure.........like has happened in australia and the UK and latterly in the US....

............When all this unravels the economy will implode......eg about a quarter of the houses in Ireland have been built in the past 10 years and a quarter of the country's workforce is directly employed in the building industry..............it's analagous to Argentina in the late 90s ......they're much further into bubble territory than we are..............

yes, and their bubble can't be contained by monetary policy as this is now in the hands of the European Central Bank........which has set low IRs for the sluggish economies of France and Germany...........

If Ireland still had its own central bank it would have risen IRs ages ago to quell the house price explosion

Yes, but while the Euro may have completely devastated their economy with cheap credit, at least they save on fees for converting money when they go on holiday :).

I've been continually amazed at how so many otherwise intelligent people I've discussed the Euro with were willing to ignore the implications of a total loss of control over their currency to save a few quid when they go to Spain.

Yes, but while the Euro may have completely devastated their economy with cheap credit, at least they save on fees for converting money when they go on holiday :).

I've been continually amazed at how so many otherwise intelligent people I've discussed the Euro with were willing to ignore the implications of a total loss of control over their currency to save a few quid when they go to Spain.

Unfortunately buying holiday money is the limit of most people's experience of currency markets, and the impact on a pint of beer is the only consequence they feel directly (at least that they are aware of).

Asking most people to add 2 and 2 and get 4 is asking too much generally (not that they lack the maths skills, just the motivation and ability for original thought or interest in life).

I must have had a few conversations with the same people

The logic baffles me!

give up control of your currency to save money

Q. How many holidays do you ahve in Europe

A. one maybe two

Q. How much do you spend

A. About £500

So they would save maybe £25 p.a by not paying a commision to Thomas Cook

It doesn't make any sense - far less a logical argument

I give up at that point

I must have had a few conversations with the same people

The logic baffles me!

give up control of your currency to save money

Q. How many holidays do you ahve in Europe

A. one maybe two

Q. How much do you spend

A. About £500

So they would save maybe £25 p.a by not paying a commision to Thomas Cook

It doesn't make any sense - far less a logical argument

I give up at that point

Have to own up and say that I thought the Euro was one of life's inevitabilities - and that we would sign up for it one day anyway.

I hold my hands up. I was wrong. And now think we are likely to see the return of the DM and FF as we are the demise of the pound.