House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prude

Are We All Spreading The Word Then?

As a new forumite I was wondering whether there was already a movement of counter information to combat all the vested interests out there. Is there something I should join in doing apart from passing the word amongst friends and colleagues? Is there an underground growing movement of dedicated individuals who will stop at nothing to publicise this site and its message?

I do feel as though I have a civic duty to help make this house fall happen, and as sharply as possible for all young people (like my own children) who are approaching and at the first time buyer stage. Prices are outrageous and the whole thing feels stage managed to me.

So sign me up! :ph34r:

you can try...

Good luck.

I try to suggest that people read various articles, the MPC King speach for example.

Most won't want to listen..

This boom will end, but it has been so engrained into the public psyche that this will go on for ever that it has taken the economy to rupture for lack of consumer spending or investment.. It has taken this for the economy to shudder.. to force people to sit up..

where common sense fails.. The economy has to sit up and stamp its mark..

Its ill, it needs to rest.. to draw nutrient again.. to ballence again..

I offered some information today to someone who is First time buying.. Said there may be some intersting articles he might want to read..

He smirked at me.. said he would be fine..

Part of me thought well s*d you sunshine...

but to be honest..I have the silo mentality..

I know now that I will be okay.. for the first time in a long time I know that I will be okay..

and I care about those i love..

Everyone else..

I wish you luck.... but i can't care..

If I do.. what is about to happen to so many would break my heart.

I don't bother spreading the word, unless someone asks! It won't change the outcome.

The only way the public can prevent a HPC is for FTBers to go out buy at silly high levels. That's the only thing that will change the market ultimately. But it doesn't matter what anyone says, there simply isn't enough FTBers who could afford - even with a IO mortgage!

I don't bother mentioning it anymore, it only causes grief... and if we're proved right, it will only cause grief.

[although saying that if I had a close friend who was going to buy, I would give them the facts - but only if they wanted the facts]

Yeh but Jason I feel as though I want to promote a correction. The more people you tell, the more the collective view of society changes, the quicker we move away from this unhealthy fixation with buying property as a get rich quick scheme, the quicker our young families can afford to both buy a house and not both work 40+hrs to pay for it at the cost of their own children.

Friend of mine has been saving up over 20K as a deposit to put down on a place for the last five years...and she's decided to buy now. I've tried to tell her, and other friends of hers have said the same thing to her...DON'T BUY NOW. I know she's doing it because friends at work have already got places, but they bought before the market went up and she's got herself caught up with VI spiel from EA's and friends already on the ladder.

I just hope she doesn't lose too much. The market has definitely turned and you don't need me to tell you what will happen next. :unsure:

well done for joining.

a few of the things we do you can find on the general posts. one thing we try to encourage are single minded attacks on civic buildings with high explosives or firearms. one thing you could do to help the site would be to instigate a house price crash assault on your local borough council office using a series of mail bombs to urban planners and housing allocators.

throwing the pin out of a mills bomb and running into the reception area with a satchel charge yelling 'death to all town planners'.. is always popular on the forum as an anecdotal.

Yeh but Jason I feel as though I want to promote a correction. The more people you tell, the more the collective view of society changes, the quicker we move away from this unhealthy fixation with buying property as a get rich quick scheme, the quicker our young families can afford to both buy a house and not both work 40+hrs to pay for it at the cost of their own children.

Hi Prude, welcome to HPC.

I feel the same, I want a HPC to be over and done with. But then again, I want lots of things I can't have.

The information is available to anyone who wants it. I, and others on here, will happily point people to the facts and help them draw conclusions - but only if they want to know the facts. Most people want 'comforting lies' (if that is such a term), they would prefer to hear how good things are rather than the truth.

My point is the housing market is far bigger than any individual, and it is turning. I could argue quite happily with everyone who disagrees with me (they couldn't convince me otherwise) - but life's more than continuous debates [arguments] about house prices.

Those who ignore the fundementals/facts sensible anaysis are those who are more likely to be less 'well off' (not just financially) in life and get burnt in this bubble. Definition of these people: Sheep! (they have to leave the heard of their own accord to be rescued!)

Edited by Jason

.... Definition of these people: Sheep! (they have to leave the heard of their own accord to be rescued!)

It's my lambs I'm more bothered about really.

You can come out with statistics, cite academics and reel off economic arguments until you are blue in the face. What really converts people is anecdotes. Collect as many anecdotes as you can and then slip them in to conversations that you have with friends and family. This is what people remember. After all, despite the trappings of modern life, we are all tribal hunter gatherers deep down, so we expect to get our wisdom from stories around the campfire.

frugalista

well done for joining.

a few of the things we do you can find on the general posts. one thing we try to encourage are single minded attacks on civic buildings with high explosives or firearms. one thing you could do to help the site would be to instigate a house price crash assault on your local borough council office using a series of mail bombs to urban planners and housing allocators.

throwing the pin out of a mills bomb and running into the reception area with a satchel charge yelling 'death to all town planners'.. is always popular on the forum as an anecdotal.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

As a new forumite I was wondering whether there was already a movement of counter information to combat all the vested interests out there.

That is partly why I set up my website, and to let that do the talking.

I have tried to tell people in person about the housing market - a few listen but most are in denial.

Generally in conversation I pipe down a bit more these days. I let other people initiate the subject and then I chip in. Sometimes it's like trying to piss against a force 9 gale.

Edited by Warwickshire Lad

As a new forumite I was wondering whether there was already a movement of counter information to combat all the vested interests out there. Is there something I should join in doing apart from passing the word amongst friends and colleagues? Is there an underground growing movement of dedicated individuals who will stop at nothing to publicise this site and its message?

I do feel as though I have a civic duty to help make this house fall happen, and as sharply as possible for all young people (like my own children) who are approaching and at the first time buyer stage. Prices are outrageous and the whole thing feels stage managed to me.

I'm a bear and expect prices to fall by around 40%. It's a good idea to spread the word, I convinced my boss to buy :lol::lol::lol:

The power of anecdotes will always win the day! Graphs mean nothing to some folk...

You also risk simply annoying people if you keep rattling on about the crash - they simply don't want to accept the reality of the situation.

It's happening anyway, so just sit back and watch it unfold! ;)