House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest growl

Went For A Massage And Got A Tale Of Woe

Guest growl

Most of you are used to my personel anecdotes. The one about the nanny, the chef, neighbours spending habits and property selling habits.

So here's another:

Local aromatherapy guy offers me a free massage, If I'll talk to him about promoting his business on the Internet. During the massage(and it was very nice) he is going on about his rich clients, how he has built his business up over fifteen years and how his clients come back to him. Let slip, on a off guard moment how business had slowed in the past few months. I tell him the economy is going down hill and we are going into recession. He says he started in the last one. Good I thought. But he doesn't pay attention to the economy, because he has regular clients. Bad I thought.

Then afterward when its time to talk business, and after he has told me that I need to come back to him for at least two more visits in the month. He offers to give me free massages for free IT work. I tell him I don't work for free(I'm cheap...but I'm not that cheap!). He gets stroopy then. Tells me he doesn't really think he needs to be on the Internet. Tells me he's paid a fortune over the years on advertising and its done no good.

What got me was that he got in touch with me. Then thought he could get freebies. I flately refused and out came his bad attitude. He also thought I was going to try and give him the hard sell. But when he got stroppy and really defensive, I put my jacket on and said. 'I don't really think you need me.' He was a bit surprised at my laid back attitude.

I also noticed how he wanted his wife's name off his stationary, and how most of his house was undergoing major rebuilding inside as he turned it into a clinic. I'd heard rumours about how the rebuilding had stopped and how he had marital problems.

I came away with a few things to think about. Nice massage, nice chap. But seemed a bit desperate. Obviously the economy is effecting people like him. People are getting desperate, there's not so much easy money around, marriages are under strain, and there seems to be much building work in my neighbour hood that is being left unfinished.

These are all signs of what is coming. :) The nanny, the chef, the aromatherapist and building work left undone. In other words all of these sectors are service and building. They relied on people using their property as cash machines and now the money is drying up...these are the sectors that are already suffering.

signs of what is coming. :) The nanny, the chef, the aromatherapist and building work left undone. In other words all of these sectors are service and building. They relied on people using their property as cash machines and now the money is drying up...these are the sectors that are already suffering.

Goodbye to...hairdressers, florists...

Most of you are used to my personel anecdotes. The one about the nanny, the chef, neighbours spending habits and property selling habits.

So here's another:

Local aromatherapy guy offers me a free massage, If I'll talk to him about promoting his business on the Internet. During the massage(and it was very nice) he is going on about his rich clients, how he has built his business up over fifteen years and how his clients come back to him. Let slip, on a off guard moment how business had slowed in the past few months. I tell him the economy is going down hill and we are going into recession. He says he started in the last one. Good I thought. But he doesn't pay attention to the economy, because he has regular clients. Bad I thought.

Then afterward when its time to talk business, and after he has told me that I need to come back to him for at least two more visits in the month. He offers to give me free massages for free IT work. I tell him I don't work for free(I'm cheap...but I'm not that cheap!). He gets stroopy then. Tells me he doesn't really think he needs to be on the Internet. Tells me he's paid a fortune over the years on advertising and its done no good.

What got me was that he got in touch with me. Then thought he could get freebies. I flately refused and out came his bad attitude. He also thought I was going to try and give him the hard sell. But when he got stroppy and really defensive, I put my jacket on and said. 'I don't really think you need me.' He was a bit surprised at my laid back attitude.

I also noticed how he wanted his wife's name off his stationary, and how most of his house was undergoing major rebuilding inside as he turned it into a clinic. I'd heard rumours about how the rebuilding had stopped and how he had marital problems.

I came away with a few things to think about. Nice massage, nice chap. But seemed a bit desperate. Obviously the economy is effecting people like him. People are getting desperate, there's not so much easy money around, marriages are under strain, and there seems to be much building work in my neighbour hood that is being left unfinished.

These are all signs of what is coming. :) The nanny, the chef, the aromatherapist and building work left undone. In other words all of these sectors are service and building. They relied on people using their property as cash machines and now the money is drying up...these are the sectors that are already suffering.

I dunno, maybe he has come out to his wife, she wants a divorce, and in fact he wants to spend the rest of his life with _you_!?! :P:P:P:blink:

Edited by shakerbaby

"IT services" for a "free massage", eh ? Talking about "the economy" were we, sir ? I bet you were, sir. Ooh ! Sir ;)

Does anyone else have any "alternative lifestyle experiences" thinly vailed as a comment on the UK economy ?

"IT services" for a "free massage", eh ? Talking about "the economy" were we, sir ? I bet you were, sir. Ooh ! Sir ;)

Does anyone else have any "alternative lifestyle experiences" thinly vailed as a comment on the UK economy ?

Do you like your hardware hard Sir?! Do you prefer to slip it into the A:\ or the C:\ drive Sir. :huh:

And what about your software Sir. I bet you like it soft Sir.... :blink:

Ohhhhhh Sir, I love you Sir. sex.GIF:huh:

Edited by shakerbaby

I see the Body Shop released some trading figures today. Qutote : "UK like-for-like sales grew 4 percent in the six months to August 27 and continued growing at that rate in the first few weeks of its second half, bucking a weakened UK consumer-buying trend."

Now if ever there was a business selling stuff nobody really needs....

Might be worth keeping an eye on.

So in a recession we all become long haired hippies? :D I remember in the last recession Vogue publishing an article on recession proof careers. Along with the obvious - teacher, nursing, etc. they listed, to my astonishment, floristry! Their logic? In a recession one can't afford to splash out, so cheering yourself up with a bunch of flowers is a cheap alternative to spending thousands on designer garments. In those days flowers were a luxury. Hello????

One of my friends is a masseuse (the legal kind!) and she was telling me recently that all the big blue chip companies that used to employ her as an inhouse stress buster have cancelled their contracts. She's got her eye out on the job market at the moment and her income has shrunk considerably.

Their logic? In a recession one can't afford to splash out, so cheering yourself up with a bunch of flowers is a cheap alternative to spending thousands on designer garments. In those days flowers were a luxury.

I think you have just sunk my Body Shop Theory then .... B)

He's not dating my therapist ex is he?

It annoys me how peopel expect IT people to do things for them free - done too much of that in the past decade - or for a trivial fee. Better still, they will find a mate of a mate who deos it as a hobby rather than a professional... but would any of these plumbers, sparks, surgeons, aromatherapists do what they do for nothing? No a cat's in Hell chance of that happening!

A street near our house, a main artery into the town, has no less than five nail manicure shops. I expect the HPC to be here as they close down one by one. Thats the barometer I will be using.

Guest growl

I dunno, maybe he has come out to his wife, she wants a divorce, and in fact he wants to spend the rest of his life with _you_!?! :P:P:P:blink:

:blink: eh? :) ahhh...:lol::lol::lol: Did you think I was a bloke shaker? Nah I'm a girly. Mind you I did think he was a bit gay. Mr Growl wants a massage when he comes back from his business trip. So I'll send him around and see what he thinks. :D

It annoys me how peopel expect IT people to do things for them free - done too much of that in the past decade - or for a trivial fee. Better still, they will find a mate of a mate who deos it as a hobby rather than a professional... but would any of these plumbers, sparks, surgeons, aromatherapists do what they do for nothing? No a cat's in Hell chance of that happening!

I like the way you have surgeons and aromatherapists at the end there. "Let me through, I'm an aromatherapist." :lol:

Guest growl

So in a recession we all become long haired hippies? :D I remember in the last recession Vogue publishing an article on recession proof careers. Along with the obvious - teacher, nursing, etc. they listed, to my astonishment, floristry! Their logic? In a recession one can't afford to splash out, so cheering yourself up with a bunch of flowers is a cheap alternative to spending thousands on designer garments. In those days flowers were a luxury. Hello????

One of my friends is a masseuse (the legal kind!) and she was telling me recently that all the big blue chip companies that used to employ her as an inhouse stress buster have cancelled their contracts. She's got her eye out on the job market at the moment and her income has shrunk considerably.

In the last recession flowers were a luxury. Well they were up north anyhow. But now you can get them for £2.50 a bunch from Lidle. Everyone does them and with a bit of imagination you can do a nice arrangement, yourself. Also hairdressers... I do my own hair. Cost me a tenner a month, its long so I just cut the fringe and dye my roots. But if I went to the hairdressers it would cost me £60. Barbers might do alright. but I could always give hubby a number two if times were desperate.

But yes your story about the masseuse is about right. That's why I listen to my clients and the neighbours. Because you can read all the gloomy economic stories you want in the blog. But what's happening around you in your life tells the true story in a microcosm. :)

No offence, but a dodgy website never killed anyone (unlike sparks and surgeons....)

Guest growl

No offence, but a dodgy website never killed anyone (unlike sparks and surgeons....)

Well not my dodgy ones anyhow :lol: But what is a spark anyhow...or am I being totally dim? :unsure:

edit: I am being totally dim. What we would call a leccy man?

Edited by growl

I see the Body Shop released some trading figures today. Qutote : "UK like-for-like sales grew 4 percent in the six months to August 27 and continued growing at that rate in the first few weeks of its second half, bucking a weakened UK consumer-buying trend."

Now if ever there was a business selling stuff nobody really needs....

Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Body shop goods are cheap compared to the Department store equivalents. People will still spend a few quid treating themselves but thats a few quid not £20. The body shop doing well is a sign of people cutting back slight.

As for nobody needing the stuff, believe me most Females may not need the stuff but it is an essential for them.

:blink: eh? :) ahhh...:lol::lol::lol: Did you think I was a bloke shaker? Nah I'm a girly. Mind you I did think he was a bit gay. Mr Growl wants a massage when he comes back from his business trip. So I'll send him around and see what he thinks. :D

If Mr Growl is away on a business trip, he could be getting a massage that comes with the BA Business class ticket, and probably not from a bloke. Out of curiosity what does Mr Growl do for a living that takes him away on business and how easy is it to get into?

As for me the closest thing I get to a massage is a drying off with a rough towel after a day in the field.

My wife's an aromatherapist and is innundated with work and new clients - there will always be wealthy people who can afford a massage once a week/fortnight. The bloke himself seems to be the problem -

services like this are 80% the personality of the therapist (they're there to open up to) so if Bloke is all tense then clients will go somewhere else! You didn't like him.

Florists are more at risk I think - and of course people will spend less on advertising so less work for web-designers - although we need them - and the like. I think.

If those @rses with their fancy salons go under - I'll be cheering - hope only people that charge women £15 for a haircut are left.

My wife pays £60 for a cut and a few streaks to hide the grey. When she comes in she asks me what I think. What am I supposed to say?

How fecking much? or

That looks great blah blah.

You can't completely kill your chances of an occasional leg-over.

Guest growl

If Mr Growl is away on a business trip, he could be getting a massage that comes with the BA Business class ticket, and probably not from a bloke. Out of curiosity what does Mr Growl do for a living that takes him away on business and how easy is it to get into?

As for me the closest thing I get to a massage is a drying off with a rough towel after a day in the field.

Oh Hi Doggy. Business class eh? I'll ask him. :)

Guest growl

Oh Hi Doggy. Business class eh? I'll ask him. :)

Just spoke to him on msn. Mr Growl says he is in ''the Pro-active field of assertive international human relations, and life status changing Professional".

Hmmm that's not what he told me. But we are going way off topic here. So catch you on msn. :D

A What? never mind.

Spealing of hairdressers, they always seem to be opening up somewhere. Do they think that they are recession proof because they will cash in on the "new hairdo to cheer me up brigade"?

if iwas mr growl id be well pissed off with some bloke coming over when im out and making my wife all oily. rubbing his masculine, toned arms over here silky smooth skin......accidently prodding a rampant boner into her side. her in her pre massage pvc body suit.

id burst in..."you promised me youd never do this again' id say.

'i never promised you any such thing"

"not you." i said.

"her !!!"

Edited by right_freds_dead

Guest growl

if iwas mr growl id be well pissed off with some bloke coming over when im out and making my wife all oily. rubbing his masculine, toned arms over here silky smooth skin......accidently prodding a rampant boner into her side. her in her pre massage pvc body suit.

id burst in..."you promised me youd never do this again' id say.

'i never promised you any such thing"

"not you." i said.

"her !!!"

I started this thread in all seriousness...and it has turned into the funniest thing for weeks :lol::lol::lol: