House Price Crash Forum

I was just in my local Dixons and I could not believe my eyes - a TV for 7999K. I asked if they sold many and the CURT reply I got was that they did and that they only sold one last week. The attitude, IMPO, was very much as if "Well, others can afford it even if you can't !".

Good grief. I would rather spend 8K on travelling the World and getting real life experiences, not slumped in front of a giant TV watching dross.

Despite the so-called High Street slump I did not notice much on sale there and what was didn't seem to have that much of any reduction.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I could not believe my eyes - a TV for 7999K.

Wow who has 7999k to spend on a telly, how many BTLs could you buy with that.

:o

I used to wander around Harrods Sound and Vision Dept in my lunchbreak and marvel at the insane prices the very rich would pay for a telly.

£8K was only mid-range for Harrods - tens of thousands were required to really max out on the flat-screen monsters.

I was just in my local Dixons and I could not believe my eyes - a TV for 7999K. I asked if they sold many and the CURT reply I got was that they did and that they only sold one last week. The attitude, IMPO, was very much as if "Well, others can afford it even if you can't !".

Good grief. I would rather spend 8K on travelling the World and getting real life experiences, not slumped in front of a giant TV watching dross.

Despite the so-called High Street slump I did not notice much on sale there and what was didn't seem to have that much of any reduction.

Another conspicuos trophy for the materialistic among us, pathetic.

Im surrounded by wealth displays, only the displayers are mainly not wealthy. Many of my customers drive flasher cars than mine. Over the years Ive learned many have virtually no equity and no savings. Some for example are divorced in thier 40s and 50s so are starting over with not a penny to thier name yet still they keep - up the £80.00 per month gym membership and the £500 pm Merc payments. I keep quiet.

Imagine the size of Kirsty's backside on that screen!!! It's enough to put you off your beans on toast.

Imagine the size of Kirsty's backside on that screen!!! It's enough to put you off your beans on toast.

Reminds me of a Woman with a side of Walrus attatched. Keep it trim, keep it s3xy and keep it washed.

In a recent technical study of high end TV's TFT and Plasma's were compared..

Taking from a few hundreds for the thousands of pounds worth like was mentioned above..

and yes... the top of the range really expensive ones were the best..

But for true picture quality..

A £350 CRT won..

hands down..

and market forces?

http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20051011PR201.html

Don't buy one yet...

markets are up and down you know.. :)

Back in my day you could buy a house for that down my way. (1998)

"I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future."

Gordon Brown, Chancellor of the Exchequer. November 1997

Does that mean that high house prices out of control put the make the future unsustainable?

Hmnn.. go figure

Funny you should mention that - I could not believe how dreadful the image was on all the flat screen TVs in the shop. Dreadful IMPO.

In the photography world CRTs are still used as they give a better image than flat panels. Personally, I think the whole country is being sold an enormous red herring with these current flat screens as the quality of image is, IMPO, not as good as my 12 year old Sony.

In the 1950s the sales of TV, Washing machines and cars drove the West out of recession and the ravages of World War Two - is this the plan again now?

“She said she loved me but when she left she took the TV, the bed, and the VCR. Guess when we were at home and she said, I love you, I love you, I love you. I must have been standing in front of the TV, the bed, or the VCR. So like an idiot, I believed her. I love you, you big 19 incher...Thanks honey. It’s what she can’t have. Now the Toshiba’s gone. What am I going to do? Get bitter?......” - Bill Hicks

Surely you better off just getting yourself a decent laser projector, and hook that up to your hi-fi?

Mental.

Er, why would you want a "laser" in your projector? Are you trying to blind yourself, or just shoot down your neighbours? And why hook a projector to your "hi-fi", the projector is pumping video, not audio? Unless you meant "plug the projector into your PC", in which case you'd plug the PC's audio-out into the hi-fi...

How long have you been working at Dixons? :D

Nomadd

Taking from a few hundreds for the thousands of pounds worth like was mentioned above..

and yes... the top of the range really expensive ones were the best..

A £350 CRT won..

hands down..

I've been saying this for years. IMHO you still can't beat a Sony Trinitron CRT set. 4:3 aspect ratio. Probably get one for a few hundred quid and will last for years.

Funny you should mention that - I could not believe how dreadful the image was on all the flat screen TVs in the shop. Dreadful IMPO.

In the photography world CRTs are still used as they give a better image than flat panels. Personally, I think the whole country is being sold an enormous red herring with these current flat screens as the quality of image is, IMPO, not as good as my 12 year old Sony.

In the 1950s the sales of TV, Washing machines and cars drove the West out of recession and the ravages of World War Two - is this the plan again now?

I have to agree--looked at flat panel TVs this week and they are still blurry and lacking in contrast when compared with a high end CRT. Dixons are marking down 32 inch CRTs to under 300 pounds as they say no one is buying them anymore. Its all about marketing and hype. There is something known as NANOTECHNOLOGY coming soon which has been adapted to TVs--they are apparently far better than LCD or Plasma.

Meanwhile back on the HPC ranch--nothing but good news today chaps! Economy sinking, pound going down, inflation, higher interest rates, Gordon's economic miracle evaporating. . . .

Slight problem with your theory.

Back then those items were made in the West.

Now?

Oops, back to debt to buy.

Dtb.

I think I read in some techie mag that most of these flat screen TVs are only expected to last about 2 - 3 years before conking out? Anyone know?

We've been using flat screens for about 5 years now and have found that the back lights or their high voltage power supplies seem to fail within a few years if used heavily (as a TV would) far in advance of the quoted life. Trying to get replacement parts can be a nightmare and some are even moulded into the screen so when the back light goes you have to replace the whole damn thing - even if you can get them & have the expertise to replace them, the manufacturers recommended part is usually incredibly expensive :blink:. Don't know whether the manufacturers intended this or not - we're only just finding out the mean time between failure 5 years on.

Guest Bart of Darkness

I saw something similar on the week's The Gadget Show (not very technical but the CRT was judged to give the best quality)

They do seem to be either (a) badly tuned or (B) not at their best with normal TV transmissions. When I see one playing a DVD, they look a bit better.

I've been saying this for years. IMHO you still can't beat a Sony Trinitron CRT set. 4:3 aspect ratio. Probably get one for a few hundred quid and will last for years.

My Sony Trinitron is approaching its 9th birthday. It'll probably outlast a lot of Plasmas being sold today (see below).

There is something known as NANOTECHNOLOGY coming soon which has been adapted to TVs--they are apparently far better than LCD or Plasma.

Yeah, I've seen this mentioned on PC sites. Much better picture quality and lower production costs. In fact I think there are two possible new methods for constructing flat panel monitors and TVs, both superior to what we have now.

I think I read in some techie mag that most of these flat screen TVs are only expected to last about 2 - 3 years before conking out? Anyone know?

On The Gadget Show they guy was saying (about one flat screen TV) something like "yes, I think this would do me fine for the next few years". Either he meant he was going to replace it with something better (these gadget types can't be seen with old technology y'know) or that was it's projected lifespan. Either way it seems a wasteful approach given that my Sony Trinny will last about 4 times longer.