House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bushboy

Us Inflation

Todays press release shows imported goods in the US rose at an inflationary rate of 2.3% UP from 1.2% in August, the highest jump since September 1990.

We know the Feds hawkish views on interest rates and that they're not scared to do anything they can to stop the rise in Inflation. On the flip side a lot of this could be down to Katrina & Rita and therefore short term.

My question is, could they look to raise base rates by 0.5% rather than 0.25% in November to curb inflation? If so Merv and the boys could be forced to do the same. Is this a realistic scenario?

Todays press release shows imported goods in the US rose at an inflationary rate of 2.3% UP from 1.2% in August, the highest jump since September 1990.

We know the Feds hawkish views on interest rates and that they're not scared to do anything they can to stop the rise in Inflation. On the flip side a lot of this could be down to Katrina & Rita and therefore short term.

My question is, could they look to raise base rates by 0.5% rather than 0.25% in November to curb inflation? If so Merv and the boys could be forced to do the same. Is this a realistic scenario?

Merv and the gang are probably going to sit on their arses and do absolutely nothing for another year. They should be putting rates up but they're scared of the consequences or rather they know the consequences. Their monthly meetings are pointless, they may aswell have annual meetings.

I am sure you are right in your assumptions there bushboy, but it is all dependant on everyone behaving themselves and doing what is appropriate given the situation with rising inflation.

Whereas the U.S. seem to want to try and address the situation to some degree we on the other hand seem quite content to sit in a dark corner with a bag over our head economically and pretend that all these nasty boom associated problems will go away.

I have long given up on the so-called independant B.O.E. and their being in the pocket of this self serving government who only want to postpone the inevitable nastiness that is rearing its head more day after day.

Merv and the gang are probably going to sit on their arses and do absolutely nothing for another year. They should be putting rates up but they're scared of the consequences or rather they know the consequences. Their monthly meetings are pointless, they may aswell have annual meetings.

:lol::lol::lol:

"We know the Feds hawkish views on interest rates and that they're not scared to do anything they can to stop the rise in Inflation."

I'm sorry, is there some other Fed you refer to ?

This is the same Fed that gave us 1% Fed funds rate here, while cost of living inflation (education, healthcare, housing) was running about 10% a year ?

This is the same Fed who's governor Bernanke gave a speech referring to dropping money from helicopters to prevent deflation ?

The fed talks about fighting inflation, but I have yet to see any real action.

At least the BOE didn't drop interest rates to 1% following the dot com crash. I credit them for that.