House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smell the Fear

Bird Flu Reaches Europe

anyone know of a reliable online pharmacy?

Apparently theres loads of counterfeit Tamilfu out there on internet

Not sure I trust our NuLabour masters to deal with this any better than Foot & Mouth disaster... though Im sure if youre a 'key worker' ie a council 5-a-day-nappy-consulant, or a paid up memebr of the NuLab Quangocracy, you'll get your vaccine!

As long as it stays BIRD flu.

If it switches to humans then house prices will be the least of our worries.

Depends which side of the death toll you fall on.

It is important not to get this out of context

The H5N1 strain has caused more than 60 deaths in Asia since late 2003.

However, of those only one is suspected to have died after catching the virus from another human.

Those who have been in the presence of dead or dying birds are most likely to become infected, and the chances of human-to-human transmission are still seen as very slim

Thousands of people die every year in this country due to the cold, and we have a higher number of deaths than other comparable countries

link

We need some anti-turkeyflu laws. We could then lock up turkeys suspected of having involvement in turkeyflu for 3 months without having to test them....

I am not up to speed on this but there is always the posibility that these anti-virals will just slow it down a bit. I guess the hope is that the resistant strains will lose a bit of their punch. I think that is what happens so far with tamiflu.

Its a good thing to have now, I would not get too comfortable with the protection it gives. Thing evolve so quickly.

I think there have been 2 flu pandemics since 1929 (vague memory) One thing is for sure they are not that rare. It does not seem that unlikely that one will become proper nasty in my life time .. possiby near the end of it!!!

Oh yeah do not get mixed up. There is NO vaccine

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/353/13/1374

"High-level antiviral resistance to oseltamivir results from the substitution of a single amino acid in N1 neuraminidase (His274Tyr). Such variants have been detected in up to 16 percent of children with human influenza A (H1N1) who have received oseltamivir.54 Not surprisingly, this resistant variant has been detected recently in several patients with influenza A (H5N1) who were treated with oseltamivir.21 Although less infectious in cell culture and in animals than susceptible parental virus,55 oseltamivir-resistant H1N1 variants are transmissible in ferrets.56 Such variants retain full susceptibility to zanamivir and partial susceptibility to the investigational neuraminidase inhibitor peramivir in vitro.57,58

In contrast to isolates from the 1997 outbreak, recent human influenza A (H5N1) isolates are highly resistant to the M2 inhibitors amantadine and rimantadine, and consequently, these drugs do not have a therapeutic role. Agents of clinical investigational interest for treatment include zanamivir, peramivir, long-acting topical neuraminidase inhibitors, ribavirin,59,60 and possibly, interferon alfa.61"

edit: oseltamivir=tamiflu

Yeh Turkeys in Europe.

If the bird flus so dangerous why hasn't everybody in Vietnam and Russia died.

It makes me laugh that they make out should it come to Britain we are all dead.

And will turkey gobble up all the antivirus

So how do we profit from the collapse of turkey and chicken sales to come in the next few months.?

What will people switch to after all the birds have been slaughtered.?

Roll on Christmas..should be interesting.

Yeh Turkeys in Europe.

It makes me laugh that they make out should it come to Britain we are all dead.

And will turkey gobble up all the antivirus

I would think that the more people who carry it the greater chance it will turn nasty on us. It is obviously not that dangerous at present, but i think the risk is still real and although small is worth preparing for.

It will probably not be that bad, maybe it will be another 20 years befor a real killer flu virus comes along but they are a lot more frequent that meteors (large ones)

But to be clear I do think the press go over the top, quiet preparation is the way to go, not mass hysteria, we should reserve that for the housing market

Guest Bart of Darkness
We need some anti-turkeyflu laws. We could then lock up turkeys suspected of having involvement in turkeyflu for 3 months without having to test them....

Too risky! Shoot them in the head 8 times. That should do it.

If turkey and chicken go off the mernu for Xmas, maybe we could go back to eating goose again?

Anybody ever had goose? (had goose that is, not been goosed!)

Some facts in case people aren't upto speed.

Influenza (Flu) is the biggest killer of all time. The 1918 Flu pandemic infected 20% of the world population. more people died in 1 year than from 4 years of the black death at it's peak. Morbidity was around 5%.

You have zero resistance to a new form of flu. Unlike the normal versions floating about. Also age/health makes no difference in survival.

We have no vaccine and none can be developed until the strain of flu is active. Then slow manufacturing will slow it's introduction down so much it'll only appears for the second wave if at all.

The UN put the estimated death toll for a pandemic at 5-150 million. I personally see the massive population growth + increase in transport making this potentially much higher I'd go for 1% of world population or 400 million.

We expect a flu pandemic every 20-30 years. it's been 40 years since the last one.

All major world leader are discussing it. Bush has talked about using the military to enforce quarantine's a political ne pas why would he talk about it unless it was a realistic threat.

Tamiflu & relenza that governments stockpile do not stop the virus they only lessen your chance of death by about 60%. There is nothing else proven to work and there are now massive (3 year) back orders for these drugs. American politicians are calling for the copyright of roche (who produce tamiflu) to be revoked/worked around.

At present it is a bird flu (kills bird not people) it's managed to kill about 60 people but that's no cause for panic yet as it's the bird flu killing them.

If it mutates so it can pass from human to human then it gets serious and after 10 human to human deaths it is inevitable that a global pandemic will occur.

Don't expect it to be like SARS, it's much much more infectious and like a genie once out of the bottle it's not going to go back in.

I posted this so at least you appreciate the seriousness of the situation. It's not scare mongering or people talking trash. It's got the head of the WHO, UN, AMERICA, ETC. talking about it.

There is only one hope really, that it mutates into something less viralent than the 1918 flu and prepares us for the real pandemic.

In the 1918 pandemic those older than about 35 had much higher survival rates but they had been exposed to a flu epidemic in the 1890s which it is suspected was a less viralent version of a similiar structure.

Apparently the new strain is very similiar in all respects to the 1918 strain to which it is entirely geneologically unrelated (the 1918 strain has been reconstructed in a laboratory in America).

Elizabeth I presonally got very worried about them recreating the 1918 Flu.

I just hope the lab technician doesn't have a bad day and release it. It's like about 10 different horror movies at once.

If I was the boss of that place I'd add 'morale boosting' as a budget item and force the scientists to have at least two cocaine fuelled nights of fun with women of dubious morlae character every week.

I laugh but it's serious. Just how easy is it to create such a killer in a lab?

Elizabeth I presonally got very worried about them recreating the 1918 Flu.

I just hope the lab technician doesn't have a bad day and release it. It's like about 10 different horror movies at once.

If I was the boss of that place I'd add 'morale boosting' as a budget item and force the scientists to have at least two cocaine fuelled nights of fun with women of dubious morlae character every week.

I laugh but it's serious. Just how easy is it to create such a killer in a lab?

how do we know it wasn released by mistake ?

It was the 'bwah ha ha, you'll all suffer. Betsy why did you leave me?' scream before he threw the vial at some personal injury lawyers (well some good comes from everything).

Guest muttley

I really wouldn't worry about it.The Press love these type of scare stories,and it is the silly season.Remember the story about how we were all going to contract CJD due to BSE infected burgers?

Anyway,I'm a pharmacist and I will reserve a box of Tamiflu for all my HPC fellow posters!(All major credit cards accepted)

And if everybody in the media is so bright how come not one of them has bothered to ask that question

:lol:

Anyone remember SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome )?

Google hits:

"Avian Flu" : 835

"SARS" : 15,800,000

Guess we've got a while to go before this story goes away!

I remember how Sars became blanket when it was hitting China's Guandong province, which, incidentally at that time, was hosting a world trade exhibition. I dare say it saved a lot of western manufacturing jobs ..... funny how these news stories suddenly grab loads of attention ... DOH, there I go again: Mr Conspiracy. It's not lik eI ever said WMD was a smoke screen...

... I did? Oh.

:lol:

OK imagine bird flu becomes contagious between humans - you get a SARS type virus

And the reason we have no magic cure for flu is because it constantly mutates, Every year eople get given a different jab that they "think" will be the one most liekly to debilitate.