House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libitina

Back To The Men V Women Thing...

For those of you that said that the current economic climate is all the fault of women being too materialistic.

Middle-Aged Men Outshopping Women

Retail heaven: Middle-aged men like to keep up with the latest gadgets

Men in their 50s are increasingly seeing shopping as a leisure pursuit, spending £3.3 billion more each year than women, research has shown.

Nearly six out of 10 men in their 50s said they enjoyed shopping, with 29 per cent considering it a leisure activity.

Just over half of men said they shopped for a luxury item at least once a week, while five per cent admitted they hit the high street every day, according to insurer Direct Line.

Overall, men in the age group collectively spend around £11.6 billion a year on items such as clothes, sports equipment and technology, including MP3 players and digital cameras, compared with just £8.3 billion spent by women of the same age.

Many men saw spending money as a right rather than a privilege, with one in 10 saying they thought they deserved to buy new things.

Eight per cent claimed they enjoyed impulse shopping because it made them feel like they were living for the moment.

Around three per cent of men in their 50s said they splashed out on sports cars, motorbikes and boats in a bid to recapture their youth.

Men are far more likely to spend money on technology than women, with one in 10 men buying an iPod during the past year, compared with one in 20 women, while 41 per cent bought a computer, something just 26 per cent of women had done.

Simon Ziviani, Direct Line Home Insurance spokesperson, said: "Our research shows that modern older men aren't turned off by shopping in the way that their fathers might have been.

"On the contrary, they are embracing consumer culture and are particularly keen not to be left behind by technology, snapping up the latest gadgets with the gusto of teenagers.''

http://channels.aolsvc.co.uk/news/article....n&p=news&c=news

Note: The link will only work for AOL subscribers, sorry.

:P:D

See, I was right when I said that women will buy more 'things', but men will buy fewer, though more expensive stuff. Swings and roundabouts..............

Men tend to spend more on things such as sports equipment - which can be costly.

Women shop for clothes a lot more than blokes though, in my experience!

Note: The link will only work for AOL subscribers, sorry.

I maybe a man, and I may like my gadgets - but at least I don't waste my money on AOL !

I maybe a man, and I may like my gadgets - but at least I don't waste my money on AOL !

Fair point. AOL were probably the most annoying provider I have ever used.

Talk about dumbing down! I know a couple of people who have worked for them

and they never used AOL at home!

I can only go by experience;

My dad is 59 and temporarily looses the ability to breathe if he has to spend money, same is true for Mr Goat's ex-stepdad (58) and my Grandad (88). However, Mr Goat himself, who is 30, is quite good at parting with his money in order to buy toys for himself, but in fairness is also a very good saver.

The Women in my family are famously thrifty, my Mum (56) and both my grandmothers (RIP) but Mr Goat female relatives are all notorious spenders.