House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth

What Is The Point Of Restricted Tenure Holiday Homes

It occurs to me that there is actually a huge stock of empty homes that have been deliberately established by councils mostly across the SE. These holidays are neither goose nor gander, robbing greenfield but at the same time blocking people from actually living in the houses that exist.

They are a steal by comparison to the rest of the market, but then they are also dead land since nobody can actually make a home in them. Personally I think it is a scandal to have that much bricks and mortar lying about and then screaming about a 'housing shortage'. Its also scandalous when so many small towns complain that their young people can't afford to buy housing to have an artificially scarcity created by this lockout of land that is occupied by housing already. I know that a lot are leasehold and the fees are exhobitant in some cases, but the fact remains, more and more are build where planning permission cannot be gained for regular housing.

Can anyone explain what they are about?

What is the difference between a holiday home and a regular home except that one doesn't artificially create scarcity?

Holiday Home brings in massive income. In some areas tourism is the main "industry"

The social problems associated with such areas with high density (One northumberland village has 9.8% holiday or second home - I assume that's not high compared to cornwall etc though) are devastating.

Once local people can't afford to live in the area, bring children up etc it becomes a fairly souless place to live and the % probably increases making it worse.

A businessman from St. David's in SW Wales recently told me that it was now 60-70% holiday homes - total population 2-3,000. Haven't checked out the accuracy of this claim though.

Thatcher removed the restricted bit of the the tenure back in the 1980s. A lot of people who had such homes on the Gower had to move out each Dec prior but suddenly found themselves in very desirable props.

Figures are often in community type reports they issue when trying to blag a huge increase in council tax.

You have to weigh up the value of the income from tourism against the decimation of local services. Would we rather the money went abroad?