House Price Crash Forum

North Bristol Downend Winterbourne Schools?

celica

Both myself and wife work north bristol area close to parkway station

With a 2 year old and a new one due early next we're thinking of the the future on schools etc.

We like winterbourne but seems very expensive and not much about.

Does anyone know what downend, Bromley Heath is like? Houses seem to offer what we want , although some very pricey, but been told schools are ok?

Dont fancy new builds or maze of Bradley stoke

Both myself and wife work north bristol area close to parkway station

With a 2 year old and a new one due early next we're thinking of the the future on schools etc.

We like winterbourne but seems very expensive and not much about.

Does anyone know what downend, Bromley Heath is like? Houses seem to offer what we want , although some very pricey, but been told schools are ok?

Dont fancy new builds or maze of Bradley stoke

Bristol is renowned for the shityness of its schools, I know one girl takes the bus 15 miles to Bath, where most of the pupils in her class are making the same journey. Don't forget the series 'Teachers' was based there (a reality TV series in all but name).

Don't move to Bristol for the schools, you'll be disappointed.

You might also want to get up to speed with the evidence about the effects of education as opposed to those of the home. The latter massively outweighs the former so the general obsession with "good schools" is mostly a red herring - at least in terms of educational attainment.

Remember that this website is called "Housepricecrash". Your eldest has 3 years before starting school, and the general concensus here is that there will be a better opportunity to buy in the coming years. By all means weigh up the options but you might decide not to actually move for a catchment area just yet...

I have been looking at Downend as an option, nice 1930's semis and good schools. Don't stray to far toward fishponds or Kingswood. I have a 2 year old and a new born and commen sense tells me to rent in a good catchment area until my first born gets a place and then buy a little further out where it will be cheaper. If you are lucky prices will drop during this time and you will be better off. ;)

On the other hand any money you have might become worthless as we head into oblivion. :o

• 1 month later...

Bristol is renowned for the shityness of its schools, I know one girl takes the bus 15 miles to Bath, where most of the pupils in her class are making the same journey. Don't forget the series 'Teachers' was based there (a reality TV series in all but name).

Don't move to Bristol for the schools, you'll be disappointed.

With all due respect, that's utter drivel but why let measured, informed opinion get in the way of a bit of bigoted hyperbole?

Like any city, Bristol has its share of shit schools but it also has its share of decent schools too.

FWIW, I made fairly extensive enquiries in and around North Bristol and concluded that Bromley Heath was where I wanted our children to go so we moved out of our rented place in Emersons Green to a rented house almost opposite the front gates of the school. It was a bit of a gamble because, as with any in-demand school, applications significantly outweigh available slots. We had to hope that the number of sibling places allocated this year was low enough that our proximity would be enough to get our son in.

I've not looked into secondary schools yet, since I figure that much can change in 6 years (and besides, I'll probably be educating my children privately, so catchment won't be an issue) but I'm led to believe that The Ridings is pretty good if you're planning that far ahead.

Good luck. Do your own research and ignore generalisations and hyperbole.

• 1 month later...