House Price Crash Forum

Why Don't People Insist On Decent Photographs?

HOLA441

Here's an example, I could find hundreds:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29060915.html

Four pictures, that's right, just four. The EA is charging something around £3k for his 'service', and he can't even be bothered to photograph each room.

Not only that, they show an abysmal laziness.

Picture 1 - A car with a house in the background.

Picture 2 - The worst. How much effort is is to remove a bowl of cat food and a mop? Words fail me.

Picture 3 - The least bad, but still horrible.

Picture 4 - For heaven's sake, move the dressing gown. It takes 10 seconds.

People take more and better pictures to sell a £500 car.

So no garden shots, lounge, other bedrooms, bathroom.... Why not? If the rooms are that messy then bloody well tidy them. You want three grand to sell the place. Three fecking grand.

A disgrace.

Edited by hedgefunded

HOLA442

douglas allen are pretty good ...they use a professional photographer ..with 18mm wide angle lens and upwards .. the shots are staged and HDR merged from multiple exposures

I have seen EA's with sub £100 click and shoot cameras without the slightest bit of embarrassment

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Totally the vendor's fault here, though the EA should have given some advice. You know there is a photo shoot so you fling clothes untidily over the bed and have the Oxfam table cloth dominating the dining room shot.

On the plus side, I can see it is a reasonably contemporary kitchen, there appears to be a reasonable amount of space between the houses for a bog standard modern house and they have not buggered about too much with the decoration and it wouldn't need the wall paper stripper out.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA446

The house I bought a year ago had rubbish photos, so bad that I didn't even bother to go and view it to start with. Only after they dropped the price by £25K did I go and look. I couldn't believe what a good deal it was so bought it. Thanks to the EA who turned out to be both incompetent and a liar, nice suit though.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

The house I bought a year ago had rubbish photos, so bad that I didn't even bother to go and view it to start with. Only after they dropped the price by £25K did I go and look. I couldn't believe what a good deal it was so bought it. Thanks to the EA who turned out to be both incompetent and a liar, nice suit though.

Same here.

Saw the photos and instantly dismissed it.

About 3 months later (in a market when houses were going on the same day they were advertised) they dropped the price by £10k so I went along. It needed work but was £30k less than next door.

Reader I bought it.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

This is what i say to rile my photographer friends, 'Most non-media business people don't give a shit about paying for quality photography and they're so visually illiterate they can't see the difference between a camera-phone shot and a high-end image'.

Of course, good photography IS important and people DO notice when you cut corners.

The estate agents could probably get one of the six million photography grads working in Tesco to do it for £100 a pop.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Same here.

Saw the photos and instantly dismissed it.

About 3 months later (in a market when houses were going on the same day they were advertised) they dropped the price by £10k so I went along. It needed work but was £30k less than next door.

Reader I bought it.

Done something similar myself. The EA had to drag me there.

HOLA4416

The "trick" that annoys me the most is when they don't show a photo of the front of the house.

When they don't, you immediately know it's going to look like ****, so why don't they just get it over with an put one on there anyway ?

You mean like this one?

Here is another house in the same row of terraces. rightmove Eeeeuuuwww.

Rough part of town, too.

Oops, second link fixed.

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Here's an example, I could find hundreds:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29060915.html

Four pictures, that's right, just four. The EA is charging something around £3k for his 'service', and he can't even be bothered to photograph each room.

Not only that, they show an abysmal laziness.

Picture 1 - A car with a house in the background.

Picture 2 - The worst. How much effort is is to remove a bowl of cat food and a mop? Words fail me.

Picture 3 - The least bad, but still horrible.

Picture 4 - For heaven's sake, move the dressing gown. It takes 10 seconds.

People take more and better pictures to sell a £500 car.

So no garden shots, lounge, other bedrooms, bathroom.... Why not? If the rooms are that messy then bloody well tidy them. You want three grand to sell the place. Three fecking grand.

A disgrace.

It's not just photos - don't understand why anyone would use an EA that doesn't e.g. give floorplans as standard.

Or whose blurbs are littered with errors/elementary spelling mistakes - if they can't be a*sed to get little things right, what does that say about them?

OTOH as a buyer I'd tend to go for anywhere that looks messy on the grounds that it's likely to put other buyers off. If it also has an avocado bathroom, garish wallpaper or carpets, multiply that by 10.

Seems a lot of people are over-influenced by immaculate 'stylishness' and the likes of twigs, rather than basics like room sizes, light, etc.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Are you in negative equity and worried that the fact that your house is tiny will stop canny investors snapping it up? Now there is no need to let such things concern you, just employ the talents of this photographer...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32187604.html

(Have a look at the street view to see actual size)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Do you think it's the EA's car?

Unbelievable that they're asking £225k for that. Even opening the blind in the Dining Room would help - a little daylight. But the whole thing looks horrible, although there is a suggestion of a garden: why would the EA not snap that too? Maybe he did a really good job considering the state of the rest of the house - maybe it's a batchelor pad that needs fumigating before new people move in.

HOLA4424

I think the point being made here is not the equipement being used to take the photograph nor the quality rather the fact that the place needs a 5 second tidy up and focus on the house, not the car out the front.

like I said...... the shots are staged ........