House Price Crash Forum

Black Mirror

Timm

HOLA441

I just think people in Britain (and many other countries) ought to realise that the fundamental cause of the system's problems is not MPs/bankers/the 1%/the media/the eurozone/Brussels/diversity coordinators/dole scroungers/asylum seekers/Polish plumbers/chavs/globalisation/Chinese factories/estate agents/Boomers etc.

All of these groups are occupying niches created by the real cause: that the majority of people cannot be bothered to do any research and hard thinking when they make important decisions like voting, paying into a pension or buying a house.

That's certainly a major flaw in democracy, but hopefully we're stuck with it until someone thinks up something better; every other system that's ever been tried has turned out even worse. As much as I get angry annoyed with half the HPC posters at least they've thought about their position.

HOLA442

It was anti-satire.

The moral of the story was that the PM should not have listened to the electorate.

The message being imparted was that we have Too Much Democracy.

It was never put to him that he should listen to the electorate and perform the act. He went along with it because his party advisors and the Queen made it be known that his life was in danger if he didn't.

There were far more messages than that. The following immediately spring to mind.

i) Modern Art is rubbish.

ii) People are selfish and hypocritical.

iii) We are no longer aware of what is happening in the real world around us; instead we are obsessed with scandal and spectacle.

iv) Politicians care less about what should be done, than what appears to be done. Deception is a perfectly acceptable course of action.

Didn't watch the show. The adverts were enough. The requirement to suspend disbelief to the extent of negotiation was simply too much. Perhaps we were expected to accept this because it was a princess or some such. Sorry no. Quick call to the special forces and sit back... hardly the toughest decision a PM would ever face.

Clearly. No negotiation happened. Special forces were called.

HOLA443

Clearly. No negotiation happened. Special forces were called.

So good decision not watching - bad decision looking at thread (on the off chance that show was something worth committing some time to). Ch4 were heavily advertising. A story that could be dealt with sufficiently in an ad break... (well I guess some credit is due in at least they are attempting to make original drama - meanwhile over on the BBC). However on this occasion the promotional material meant even Location Location Location et al would have been more appealing. Can't say this thread will lead to a viewing on 4oD.

HOLA444

Brooker is the Left's answer to Jeremy Clarkson, only rather more creative. Black Mirror's first episode was not as strong as Dead Set, I found it strained realism how a lone eccentric artist could so completely run circles around the entire UK government, but I enjoyed the directing and acting, while it handled how the UK authorities tried (and failed) to manipulate the 21st century media fairly intelligently.

HOLA445

Archived