House Price Crash Forum

How Would People Manage

HOLA441

Reading the other thread on being a 'scrooge' got me thinking about how the general public would manage in the event of economic problems.

Now I can remember hard times and know how to cut back/save etc but there are many people who no nothing else except CC, eating out most nights, new clothes when bored with the old ones, debt blah blah blah.

I bet there are some people who don't even know how to cook a proper meal they are so used to M&S ready meals.

Anyway here are some of the 'rules' I live by..what are yours?

Turning of lights in every room except the one you are in

Cooking meals at home (proper meals with fresh ingredients)

Putting a sweater on and not turning the heating on as soon as the first autumn leaf drops

Using money off vouchers and coupons

Checking the cost of suppliers e.g Gas Electric..change is you can get it cheaper.

Inviting friends round for a meal instead of going out...it is usually cheaper and more fun.

Now I don't think any of these are especially 'tight' just sensible

So have this gneration forgotten financial discipline all together? ...I fear they have, I fear they have hard times ahead.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Interesting post.

I feel that people no longer have strong enough personalities to stand up to peer pressure.

I personally don't care if I have the latest gear, be it clothing, electronics or (insert your vice). It has done me no harm and I still have plenty friends. I respect others and, importantly, myself.

I think many have no self respect and measure their "success" by the possessions they have. This includes their home, even if they are paying an interest-only mortgage.

I like your sensible list, one of the things I do is never buy CDs/DVDs/Video Games as soon as they are released. After a couple of years the same title is at least 50% cheaper. I'm always playing catch-up so everything is new and fresh to me!

NDL

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

this year ive spent a grand total of about 200 pounds on houshold goods, i bought a freeview box and a 20 inch tv from asda for 70 pound.this is more than i spent last year i only spend about 20 pound, the year before that about the same.

i spend about 100 pounds a year on clothing (im very serious)

and im totally serious when i say ive only been in a highstreet shopping, a clothes shop other than asda about 3 times in the last 7 years.

every houshold bill i have including my rent and internet connection, telephone, electricity works out at less than 80 pounds a week add on food and i live perdectly well on 100 a week.

what you earn is only one part of the equation its what you spend as well that counts as much.

in 2 years im buying a house for cash, hence will leapfrog all they friends and family that think there exceedingly richer than me.:)

They can continue to work for the bank

HOLA4410

Reading the other thread on being a 'scrooge' got me thinking about how the general public would manage in the event of economic problems.

Now I can remember hard times and know how to cut back/save etc but there are many people who no nothing else except CC, eating out most nights, new clothes when bored with the old ones, debt blah blah blah.

I bet there are some people who don't even know how to cook a proper meal they are so used to M&S ready meals.

Putting a sweater on and not turning the heating on as soon as the first autumn leaf drops

Checking the cost of suppliers e.g Gas Electric..change is you can get it cheaper.

Inviting friends round for a meal instead of going out...it is usually cheaper and more fun.

So have this gneration forgotten financial discipline all together? ...I fear they have, I fear they have hard times ahead.

you forgot my mates one... always get your visitors to take off their shoes at the front door - it saves electricity hoovering up. :lol::lol::lol::huh:

i steal the loose veg plassy bags from tesco instead of buying a box of em to put me frozen meat into!

how tight is that? :lol:

why do you always have to lower the tone what with your frozen meat and two veg! :lol::lol::lol::blink:

HOLA4411

Interesting post.

I feel that people no longer have strong enough personalities to stand up to peer pressure.

I personally don't care if I have the latest gear, be it clothing, electronics or (insert your vice). It has done me no harm and I still have plenty friends. I respect others and, importantly, myself.

I think many have no self respect and measure their "success" by the possessions they have. This includes their home, even if they are paying an interest-only mortgage.

I like your sensible list, one of the things I do is never buy CDs/DVDs/Video Games as soon as they are released. After a couple of years the same title is at least 50% cheaper. I'm always playing catch-up so everything is new and fresh to me!

NDL

Absolutely agree with you, soon people will realise that how you feel about yourself, and others is more important than what material items you can buy. Never judge a book by its cover ;)

HOLA4412

I'm having a hell of a time with my heating. There's no thermostat so I keep twiddling it up and down. One minute it's freezing, the next the place is a volcano, which is not helping me save energy. I guess I'll get it figured out sooner or later.

HOLA4413

I'm having a hell of a time with my heating. There's no thermostat so I keep twiddling it up and down. One minute it's freezing, the next the place is a volcano, which is not helping me save energy. I guess I'll get it figured out sooner or later.

There's an idea. All we need is a volcano that we could put all the VI's in and that would fix all our problems... :P

HOLA4414

Well, I don't follow any of that lot!

I always start with the really expensive things, as that's where you are going to make the most savings. My car is 9 years old, and I've no intention of replacing it for at least another 5 years; my rent is cheap, and I've no intention of buying a house for at least another 5 years. Those two items alone have saved me 10's of thousands compared to some of my friends over the last few years. Now they are hurting, I'm not. :D

Nomadd

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

A lot of people in the UK pull their own teeth out if they get bad toothache because they cant afford a dentist :(

Think about what happens whenever you see older people from underdeveloped countries on TV. They often have few teeth left and must have pulled them out themselves.

Edited by penbat1

HOLA4417

- Home brew beer, great stuff and works out at 40p a pint.

- Buy all wine and spirits, washing powder, cat food etc in Calais.

- Always arrange holidays myself i.e. book cheap flight then arrange hotel....it saves £000,s

- Buy a sack of potatoes from garage for £3.50, rather than supermarket.

- Fully crop my veg patch with lovely home grown salad and veg.

- As far as possible heat the house with the log fire. The wood is free.

- Buy things like jeans for £10 from Sainsburys rather than £50 from Next.

- No credit cards, no borrowing money, I pay interest to no one.