House Price Crash Forum

Crusader Coach Holidays Crashes Out

Seaside coach trips are geared for pensioners probably 80% of the clientèle of the Grand fell into this category. As has been pointed out they bring much needed spending power to these resorts and directly support jobs. Looking at how full the hotel was there is also no recession in this industry.

As far as I can tell, the only way the Grand makes any profit is getting first goes at any gold rings on a dead old ladies fingers.

Seriously - the business model is bust.

They stack em high and sell em cheap under some sort of illusion that they'll make money.

They never do.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say that Her indoors has got a stinking cold.... :ph34r:

Nope that's not Nowok (??).

Basicaiily you sh1t and puke your guts out for 24 hours. Then feel like death for another 2 days.

You could sell it as the Scarborough diet to fat munters.

One has to wonder if Coach Holiday companies are "doubly-doomed" (if it is possible to be doomed twice over?) because not only are they suffering from the consumer slowdown and competition with cheap airlines, but also their main customer base (the retired folks in their golden age who grew up with the concept of coach holidays in the era 1930s through 1950s) are literally dying off.

Could well be. The last holiday I went on (31 years ago) was a National Travel coach tour of Devon and Cornwall (inc. Land's End). Mostly people in the 60s with a few in their 50s.

A nice kind of holiday but not likely to appeal to a younger market brought up on cheap air travel and foreign jaunts.

Not one have you have pointed out the real reason coach businesses are dying.

Pensions haven't been hit as much as wages by inflation yet, so it isn't that.

Pensions haven't been hit, but return on their life savings have. I know a few pensioners who have very little spare cash now savings rates are on the floor.

Funny you should say that Her indoors has got a stinking cold.... :ph34r:

Nope that's not Nowok (??).

Basicaiily you sh1t and puke your guts out for 24 hours. Then feel like death for another 2 days.

You could sell it as the Scarborough diet to fat munters.

Norwalk virus, aka norovirus. Can be a big problem on cruise ships and hospital wards too, for the same reason as hotels (lots of people in close contact).

Edited by Dorkins

Norwalk virus, aka norovirus. Can be a big problem on cruise ships and hospital wards too, for the same reason as hotels (lots of people in close contact).

I always get that whenever I go to Spain.... I always put it down to the change in diet and the amount of alcohol I have consume.... No big deal so long as you keep to within 20 paces of a toilet for a day or two and keep your alcohol levels up to stave off the effects..... ;)

They don't. They get paid a fixed sum.

They are obliged to provide a level of service - x buses an hour type of thing - which they do.

Think it through - ift hey were paid per passenger then there would be a bus every 20 minutes. There is not.

The old system of council subsidies worked this way - and it was/is incredibly wasteful in both financial and ecological terms. Usually councillors would be lobbied by a small number (n=1 in some cases) of people until they got their bus service subsidised. This resulted in empty buses hauling fresh air around the countryside.

The OAP system is far superior - bus companies are paid per journey; it's effectively the council paying for their ticket rather than the individual. Under this model, no one is paying for empty buses to run and high demand will be responded to with more buses and/or seats.

I would make it that free bus passes continue for pensioners (whatever age that means, seemingly, 55-70+ depending on public/private sector).

However, I would make it a condition that to claim a free bus pass any claimants must hand their car driving licence back to the DVLA - easy non-intrusive way to means-test genuine need.

Why? This benefit is one of the ones that benefits us all.

- The OAPs buying tickets (albeit paid for by the council) keep services running that we all can (and, in my case, do) use.

- It allows OAPs to get around cheaply and independently.

- It takes OAPs off the road - even if for single journeys - safer for all concerned.

CB sorry to hear of your work troubles, your posts are always interesting. Glad to hear you're back in business in a different form though.

Is there any future for these holiday coach companies in undertaking longer distance scheduled services, as rail travel becomes more expensive?

For the first time in the summer I took the Megabus, ten pounds return London to Cheltenham. Perfectly good service. I imagine the only way they can charge those prices is via some complex airline style booking system though, which perhaps the smaller firms couldn't compete with.

CB sorry to hear of your work troubles, your posts are always interesting. Glad to hear you're back in business in a different form though.

Is there any future for these holiday coach companies in undertaking longer distance scheduled services, as rail travel becomes more expensive?

For the first time in the summer I took the Megabus, ten pounds return London to Cheltenham. Perfectly good service. I imagine the only way they can charge those prices is via some complex airline style booking system though, which perhaps the smaller firms couldn't compete with.

Hi AA, thanks for enjoying my posts!

Yes I feel there is a good future for cheapo long haul coach A to B travel due to these factors:

1. Lots of eastern europeans use them

2. Lots of youths (students etc) who cannot afford cars use them

3. As we all get poorer, more of us won't be able to afford cars and will use them

4. More of these coaches will end up running on cheaper eco-fuels or even massive lithium battery banks, as the technology progresses, rendering their running costs much lower than trains (cue the eco-debate posse.....)

5. Rise in staycations, as we all get poorer

6. One is less likely to be attacked or robbed on a coach than a train (again, as we all get poorer and benefits are eroded, wandering packs of chav-robbers will steam through trains etc looking for easy pickings)

The above factors will bite over the next 10 years - we really are going back to a poorer, simpler way of life that many of us recall from our 70's childhoods

For Wrexham traders one unfortunate result of free bus passes is to allow pensioners to travel to Chester to spend their money.

For example, M&S moved from their previous Wrexham town centre location to a peripheral site known as Eagles Meadow, the oldies from surrounding villages have the choice of disembarking in King Street and making their way across town, or catching a free bus to Chester which stops right in front of M&S, not only do they have the excitement of visiting the big city, but in adverse weather they don't get soaked or frozen, plus they can call into nearby spoons for a few beers and something to eat before the ride home.

Wrexham M&S is allegedly wishing they hadn't moved to Eagles Meadow but unlike equally disappointed Boots that could move back into the town centre relatively cheaply, M&S is stuck because they bought their building - it isnt leased.

Wales is effectively paying people to spend their money in England #fail.

Regarding coach trips ( not Brendan's ), Silver Star from Caernarvon went bust recently, which was really sad, but on the positive side, a firm from Hull has picked up the pieces, they should prosper, as Silver Star were massively popular with Wrexham people.

I believe that all public transport (buses and trains) should be free to anyone.

Get the population moving around. Good for the oldies to get them out and about. Good for the younger allowing easy commuting to work. Good for the kiddies so they don't have to be driven to work in their mums 4x4s.

Will free up the roads from traffic congestion. Will create loads of jobs for drivers, organisers, bus and train staitons, etc. Will create loads of jobs in manufacturing if buses and trains were actually built in Britain.

Yes, it has to be paid for, but it might get the unemployed back to work and make working for a living worth it if transport costs were zero.

A system like that would be the envy of the developed world. Public transport run for the benefit of the public.

Hi AA, thanks for enjoying my posts!

Yes I feel there is a good future for cheapo long haul coach A to B travel due to these factors:

1. Lots of eastern europeans use them

2. Lots of youths (students etc) who cannot afford cars use them

3. As we all get poorer, more of us won't be able to afford cars and will use them

4. More of these coaches will end up running on cheaper eco-fuels or even massive lithium battery banks, as the technology progresses, rendering their running costs much lower than trains (cue the eco-debate posse.....)

5. Rise in staycations, as we all get poorer

6. One is less likely to be attacked or robbed on a coach than a train (again, as we all get poorer and benefits are eroded, wandering packs of chav-robbers will steam through trains etc looking for easy pickings)

The above factors will bite over the next 10 years - we really are going back to a poorer, simpler way of life that many of us recall from our 70's childhoods

Yes I agree. Not sure about them being safer though. One drunken chav or nutter who decided to have a go at the driver while he's doing 70mph on the motorway, and it's goodnight vienna. On a train, you can at least get away from them into another carriage and the driver is protected.