House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Smell the Fear

Analysis Of Irish Affordability

This is over a year old, but it makes for an interesting read with regard to historical affordability.

Ireland House Prices

Some great quotes:

"Simon Ensor of Sherry FitzGerald, said: "I have great sympathy for first-time buyers in particular at the moment, but they are not significantly worse off. In many ways they are better off.

"In the 1980s you either bought a three-bed semi or you didn't buy at all. There were no one or two-bedroom apartments. There is a much wider choice at present and it easier to get your foot on the ladder. "

Certainly an interesting read. It makes me laugh that these experts queue up explain why homes are more affortable now than in previous years. However, this quote tells you all you need to know.

"According to Daithi Downey, policy analyst with Focus Ireland, one in five parents underwrite their children's attempts at house purchases to the value of over €75,000."

Says it all really. Talk about bubble fueling the bubble. I guess you can't save people from themselves.

Edited by Flash

Certainly an interesting read. It makes me laugh that these experts queue up explain why homes are more affortable now than in previous years. However, this quote tells you all you need to know.

"According to Daithi Downey, policy analyst with Focus Ireland, one in five parents underwrite their children's attempts at house purchases to the value of over €75,000."

Says it all really. Talk about bubble fueling the bubble. I guess you can't save people from themselves.

Huge confidence in housing in Ireland due to no previous crashes, 2% interest rates. wage inflation, and peoples distrust of shares after the eircom fiasco.

The bubble is so big and has gone on 4 so long, people have stopped saying it is going to burst.