House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Micro Anniversary And Raspberry Pi

Riedquat

It was quirky when we could make a stereo, adapting old mono headphones and things, and playing about with a barbones record deck like the Garrard SP25, pop in that magnetic cartridge and amaze your friends

I still have an SP25 in my loft, along with the 1960's Ferguson Tuner/Amp, that goes with it.

Wonder if I can do anything with it to bring it up to date?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first Raspberry PI arrived today. I got it up an running with the standard Debian Squeeze and LXDE in about 5 minutes of typing and 35 minutes of download, running DD and GPARTED. Only minor glitch was I had to do a power off as the HDMI signal fell over first time round.

I have to say I think this is a great beginners platform, I have a second on the way, so it will be one each for the kids - though the oldest is only 18 months, but I expect him to go through school with these so not a bad use of £25.

The instructions I used were here: How to set up Raspberry Pi | Linux User

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got Pi yet? What are you doing with yours?

It's a great little machine. You don't even need all the TV, mouse, keyboard crap as there's an easy way to enable SSH and then use it from your laptop.

I'm going to reinstall everything now though, following some of the better tutorials out there, rather than half-remembered linux commands. One brick wall I hit was getting mysql up and running but think it's probably because I broke something hacking around.

Amahi, NetaTalk, VNC, Apache2, PHP - these are all easy-peasy to set up.

It's a great little machine. You don't even need all the TV, mouse, keyboard crap as there's an easy way to enable SSH and then use it from your laptop.

I'm going to reinstall everything now though, following some of the better tutorials out there, rather than half-remembered linux commands. One brick wall I hit was getting mysql up and running but think it's probably because I broke something hacking around.

but what do/will you actually do with it? I'm a proper geek, been programming since i was 10 and love messing around with electronics etc..but if all you are going to do is install linux on it whats it do different to a normal computer? When I first heard of it I thought 'wow, gotta get one'...then I realised I would probably set it up and mess around for 10 minutes then never touch it again.

Has anyone done anything/cool/interesting/different with it, or is it just another (small) desktop computer?

but what do/will you actually do with it? I'm a proper geek, been programming since i was 10 and love messing around with electronics etc..but if all you are going to do is install linux on it whats it do different to a normal computer? When I first heard of it I thought 'wow, gotta get one'...then I realised I would probably set it up and mess around for 10 minutes then never touch it again.

Has anyone done anything/cool/interesting/different with it, or is it just another (small) desktop computer?

and you seem to need a PC to set it up anyway.

Flexible NAS, LAMP test server in the first instance. Not as cool as, say, running a robot that makes the dinner before you get home but it's good fun.

For me, the cool factor is that it uses very little power, unlike the old clunker PC tower 'repurposed' for Linux whirring away. I'd quite like to have it running off a solar panel with a battery backup.

As the GUI is slow I'm returning to the command line. I used to be much more hands on with web servers some years back so just an exercise in 'how much do I remember' it's fun. Kinda like doing a quick crossword or something.

I think people got confused about Raspberry Pi after the BBC et. al. got hold of the story. The first batches were just for developers who were supposed to get the system up to speed as a school learning tool. Then hundreds of thousands ordered one for kicks. I noticed on the Pi forums a few people moaning that it's 'slow' as if they thought they were buying some sort of cool iPad thing.

Hmmm, i might have found a use for it now :)

how much are they? I can only seem to register for one, it doesn't tell you how much it cost

They are going for silly money on ebay!

Not sure how big each batch is. I got mine in the second wave but there were around 300k orders so no idea how fast those will get fulfilled.

Next thing I think need to do is get my root filesystem onto a USB hard drive. My LAMP server's up and running but seems uber slow compared to say and old P3 or G3 mac with no much ram when running Wordpress. I suspect using the SD card is the main problem here.

I can imagine these things being brilliant in schools. The problem solving and hacking around far more beneficial than the glorified word processing classes that passed for GCSE IT when I was at school.

No, and my first idea was a Beowulf cluster. Given the availability issues, things are not looking promising.

p-o-p

OK, fair enough. Apologies.

I'd automatically assumed that it wouldn't be up to anything as ambitious as that, but a geek colleague at work assures me it'll be fine (up to a point).

Fundamentally it's about as fast as a 256MB PII-PIII computer. However, the GPU is pretty formidable - much better than an Xbox 1 - so if this can be more fully utilised it may end up as an okay very lightweight general purpose PC.

I was a little disappointed that my LAMP server was near-uselessly slow running a Wordpress installation (which taps PHP and msql) but I'm told this asked a bit much with everything running from the same SD card. Will try it running from a laptop hard drive when I get the chance.

For simple Mac fileserving via NetaTalk it does the business - not a bad way to turn any old USB drive into a really configurable NAS.

• 1 month later...

Saw my first Raspberry Pi in the wild at work today. Needless to say for all the techno heads in my IT team this is a must have item. Coming from the logical rather than physical side of the game I don't tend to get so excited about hardware ( in fact I am quite happy to design computer applications and systems using pen and paper). Even so I felt myself wanting to own one because a stripped down relatively simple machine is a nice antidote to the hardware and software bloat that makes so much of IT such a pain these days.

Archived