House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Micro Anniversary And Raspberry Pi

Riedquat

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A true statement but it does not support the idea that pinting, say a nozzle. or a gun, is impossible. Many materials 'cure' and harden over time, so it is feasible for a cured nozzle to be used in contact with the molten material from which it is made.

Materials can harden by drying, curing, exposure to UV, chemical processes, case hardening, etc.

Ceramics can be soft and malleable until baked in ovens.

Then we have new materials like fullerenes.

I believe the Israalis developed a plastic pistol that cannot be detected by most airport scanners.

Materials science is constantly developing. Don't underestimate the possibilities.

nothing can be detected by airport scanners....its all human eye.

I've just had an order amendment from Farnell. My Raspberry Pi is no longer coming in mid-April. Now it is mid-May.

Ah - that's disappointing. I've not had any e mail yet. My delivery date was w/c 16 April

I know. :( But I will live. I will have to dig out and reread this old book I have somewhere in the meantime:

71HXQFsqNPL._SL500_.jpg

Looks like that's from around late 80's ?? ( Peter Cockrell )

My assembly programming is from early 1980's on a Z80 micro processor on the Nascom 2 - Seem to recall Push, Pop as the stack commands for some reason !

Edit: The whole? book appears to be available on this AALP link

nothing can be detected by airport scanners....its all human eye.

Is that true? A guard in Schiphol laughed at me when I asked if the images from the full-body scanner go off to some control room somewhere with a person making the yes/no decision. He claimed the whole system was automated.

Is that true? A guard in Schiphol laughed at me when I asked if the images from the full-body scanner go off to some control room somewhere with a person making the yes/no decision. He claimed the whole system was automated.

if so, why would they need images?

I've just had an order amendment from Farnell. My Raspberry Pi is no longer coming in mid-April. Now it is mid-May.

Looks like the revised May delivery date is an error - You should be ok for your original April delivery date according to the following tweet from RPi.

Raspberry_Pi If you already had a March/April delivery date and it's just been changed to May, the May date is an error. See element14.com/community/docs…

about 1 hour ago

Since the Pi has a long lead time, maybe this cool little SBC could be interesting:

http://www.retroleum.co.uk/v6z80p/

The V6Z80P is essentially a modern standalone 8-bit computer system which harkens back to the days of “proper” programming (y’know, when you could hit the metal and not worry about APIs and abstraction layers and all that nonsense:) Or.. you could use it as an FPGA trainer PCB which just happens to have a physical Z80 CPU onboard

[...]

Availability: [28th Feb 2012] I now have all the parts to build several more V6z80Ps – Please Email me at the address below if interested. Price for a complete board is £88 GBP (plus postage + 3.9% Paypal fee) – I can send them worldwide. Please bear in mind, I only make these as a hobby - the price reflects the actual cost of the components, I hand solder everything and I don’t actually make much (if any) profit.

PCB_Photo_v1_1b-276x300.jpg

I see demand is very high for this product. I have only really tinkered around with audio amplifiers and sourced a few books by walt Jung which were pretty good in explaining current sources, low pass filters, and amplifiers. The only programmes I have written were in basic on my Amstrad cpc464.

I would like to build a digital audio filter and convertor. The maths might be quite tough, atleast for me, but I think I can model one in matlab or equivalent programme. Then I am not sure how I implement it? This pi thing looks like it might have enough power!

Anyone who hand solders a hopelessly out of date qfn xilinx chip like that onto a board for next to nothing has got to be in it for pure love there is no other explanation.

The Spartan would be better and probably cheaper but it's a bga package and you couldn't hand solder although I saw a homebrew smt station made out of a pizza oven in one electronics mag.

Digilent do a Spartan board for a similar price which is far more up to date if you are interested learning fpgas.

Since the Pi has a long lead time, maybe this cool little SBC could be interesting:

http://www.retroleum.co.uk/v6z80p/

PCB_Photo_v1_1b-276x300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look in my hotmail spam folder yesterday and found a message from Farnell element14:

Dear Grandad

Breakthroughs. Exhilarating, but rarely without hiccups.

A few days ago, the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced a small manufacturing delay. A component in the Pi is being reinstalled. In the grand scheme it's small potatoes - but we know it's frustrating for Farnell element14 fans and customers.

Congratulations - Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around early May.

We're a proud partner of the Pi, and the sense of adventure it's bringing to the tech community. We've all come to feel part of the Foundation's big project to bring computing to all. Online, the response has been superb.

Thanks for your patience and understanding so far. Enjoy your Pi.

Farnell element14

So, it might be sensible to keep an eye on your spam folders or you might miss something important.

Of course the book will be a historical curiosity, but interesting for getting an overview of the general philosphy that's guided ARM.

I think this PDF is the technical guide to the actual chip on the raspberry:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1521578.pdf

This was one of my favourites. Best bit were the drawings.

Towers of Hanoi puzzle.

http://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/showpage.php?page=174

Also text adventures.

http://www.atariarchives.org/adventure/

Here's all the books.

http://www.atariarchives.org/

If you are a bit of a saddo, like me, its quite good fun to try translating the programs from BASIC to Javascript HTML5 and getting them to run in a browser. Good exercise for you brain.

• 2 weeks later...

CE marked, LOL, if ever there was a piece of legislation that completely ******ed a market sector here and in the rest of europe and opened it up to foreign comeptition who just shoved a silk screen or label on a product this is it.

A very expensive waste of time and block on new products. Probably the demise of thousands of products that never made it to market either by preventing their development in the first place or crippled any attempt at production at a potenital launch phase.

CE marked, LOL, if ever there was a piece of legislation that completely ******ed a market sector here and in the rest of europe and opened it up to foreign comeptition who just shoved a silk screen or label on a product this is it.

A very expensive waste of time and block on new products. Probably the demise of thousands of products that never made it to market either by preventing their development in the first place or crippled any attempt at production at a potenital launch phase.

Once it's certified CE compliant, it can be distributed throughout the EU. If CE certification didn't exist, it would have to satisfy 27 different sets of regulations in order to reach the same market. How would that be better?

What is it that needs to be complied with exactly?

One thing that comes to mind is electromagnetic compatibility. You wouldn't want it interfering with someone's pacemaker or such like. They would have to demonstrate that its electromagnetic emissions remain within acceptable limits.

Archived