House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Micro Anniversary And Raspberry Pi

Riedquat

Now sold 23 - The orders were supposed to have been restricted to one per person. Can't see how he could have got hold of so many unless some insider Knowledge of the websites at Farnell / RS Components?

So who can you report him to? Don't spose the company selling them cares?

Or would they rather someone didn't profit off the back of them?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info.

I think if this release was aimed at people that want to fiddle with it (i.e. geeks) then they should have reserved the media hype for the cased launch. Given the low price I imagine too many units of these initial batches will get in the hands of people who have no clue how to handle a bare electronics board, and consequently get broken/shorted fairly quickly, simply contributing to landfill and resource waste.

Good point, may well mean that the toolsets and available codebase will be smaller thatn would otherwise have been. Publicity wise probably a great launch, reality wise probably more piss poor.

You'd think they had reinvented the wheel, their claim to spur on UK computing and IT will fail - the backdrop is a industrial sector where the workers are sick of being outsourced, offshored, inshored and paid in many cases well below equivalent jobs/professionals at the top levels. Chucking out a cheap board won't fix that.

Expect to see a lot of similar products in the very near future and if this launch is anything to go by without a half-arsed manufacturing and supply capability behind it.

If you want to tinker with some electronics and software get an arduino board. Masses of onlne support, cheap, loads of examples with pretty much every sensor out there, displays, switches, the lot. Low level is where you learn.

That bugger on e-bay is even putting the price up. I can't understand people who would buy through him/her/it, given the charitable nature of the enterprise and the idealism around the price.

Even if it came, you'd forever feel ... dirty. :lol:

+1

Pretty miserable either way ( Genuine re-seller or Scam ) to make money out of a charity

I must admit that years of meditation have led me to never getting too upset any more when "hopes" are dashed. (I'm not sure I had any real "hopes", TBH.)

I'll wait.

Sorry, I read that as medication the first time. Had to look twice. I wondered what the hell they'd put you on.

I'm having the same thing. It's in my basket, but there's no 'checkout' or 'buy' button.

Did you solve it?

When I clicked through on the link ( in my post above ) there was no BUY button as you describe but there was a link in blue within the Availability box which said Coming Soon - register your interest here

I clicked the link but didn't get an immediate on-screen reponse - I did howver receive an e mail perhaps an hour later saying:

Thank you for showing an interest in the following product.

Order Code Product Description

2081185 SBC, RASPBERRY PI, MODEL B

We will notify you by eMail when the product becomes available

I will go back on at lunchtime to see if I can actually pre-order it

I just ordered one of these earlier today, 73 Pounds including shipping (here in CH) and slightly bigger but far more powerful and expandable, passively cooled, and obviously runs Linux perfectly well too, just like the raspberry.

And there are plenty off the shelf cases available for it.

Very helpful - thanks. :D

Hi ( Tried to send you a PM to give you a head start! )

The link now has a BUY button on it - I have managed to add it to the basket and check out BUT

When entering my credit card details it says: You're not allowed to export to that country I had selected United Kingdom and then tried one of the blanks at the bottom of the Country drop down all to no avail.

So struggling now to proceed.

Edit: Wondering if in my rush to create the account this morning it defaulted to Afghanistan !

I think it just worked. I just got an order confirmation (although I doubt it will be supplied from the current batch).

(I didn't have any problems about "country" so maybe you did do that Afghanistan thing M21er!)

Mine is ordered as well - eventually! Although I expect it will be from the second batch. No problems on the Country this order so not sure what was happening previously! Did nearly end up with three by mistake due to previous aborted orders remaining in my basket!

Website was running a lot more smoothly with virtually all new pages appearing first time.

At least, we can say We were there when the Raspberry Pi was launched

Edit: Spelling

I just ordered one of these earlier today, 73 Pounds including shipping (here in CH) and slightly bigger but far more powerful and expandable, passively cooled, and obviously runs Linux perfectly well too, just like the raspberry.

And there are plenty off the shelf cases available for it.

Nowhere near as cool.

Anyway, I've only been able to 'express an interest'. How did you guys actually order?

Hi

This Raspberry link ( http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-pcba/sbc-raspberry-pi-model-b/dp/2081185 Can't post 'proper' link as using IE 6 at work! )

This link ( sometimes ) has a blue BUY button. I'm not sure if the BUY button didn't appear because I was using Chrome on my own laptop or whether they were enabling / disabling the button to regulate demand?

I have just clicked the above link using IE6 and the BUY button is there!

Edit: Forgot to say, this is now for Pre-Order for the next batch. All of the 10k from this morning's batch is sold out. Delivery is being quoted as 30 days but that may just be Farnell's standard default delivery period for OOS items

If you've reverse engineered it from one of the alpha prototype boards that makes you a Raspberry Spy.

I guess the concept is Ok but I don't see why you don't implement everything as soft in a host pc and just have a daughter board that plugs into the PC's USB port wihich implements the necessary IO. You might want to implement some simple stuff like current protection to stop people trashing the pc's usb port.

PC's are ubiqitous, nearly everyone has one.

This to me sounds like a triumph of advertising and spin over substance.

There are many similar boards already out there, I use something called a teensy board by Amtel which is great for implementing i2c, rs232 and spi and allows simple control of a range of non time critical features in my system. Similarly this could be used for educational purposes.

I suppose anything that gets kids interested in creating things through tech is better than them spending their time playing games.

I bought one. I don't know why. It was cheap. :lol:

I actually did an MSc in computer sciences before the pc was invented. So it was pretty theoretical and very mathematical. All about the logical design of computers and stuff, writing operating systems, chip design and logic gates, breaking into compilers to mimic multi processing on a single processor, queueing theory for use with scarce comnputer resources (printer, processor etc.), early email.

I remember one assignment being on comparing the Chebychev and Newtonian interpolating polynomials because of their different results for rounding errors (this was a really big thing when space was limited and bytes were bytes!)

But I went on to waste it all and ended up working in a commercial part of a bank. B) (don't worry I left it about 12 years ago because I felt I was just enslaving people and couldn't live with myself).

EDIT: can I surf with it?

I think from that post it's clear that these things are in a bubble. They'll be stories of people queuing up outside shops and fighting over them next. Some idiot will be on the web saying how they paid 6 grand for one second hand.

I'm just so easily influenced.

You sound like an ideal customer for the chinese clone product which will no doubt be on the market within 4 weeks.

It will probably only work for 5 minutes, which is OK, since that's probably 4 minutes and 59 seconds longer than most people will use it.

Any of you techs see this ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2108160/Quantum-computers-IBM-verge-creating-machine-faster-supercomputer.html

My bet is they've had one of these in Fort Meade for at least 5 years.

Some of you people are cynical. I blew some beer money on this for pure nostalgia. I might even get RISC OS on it if that comes to fruition. Still, even if I don't get back into learning a bit of code as a hobby I'll have it dangling off the never-used TV/Monitor on my desk and surf the hell out of HPC.co.uk at the very least.

Some of you people are cynical. I blew some beer money on this for pure nostalgia. I might even get RISC OS on it if that comes to fruition. Still, even if I don't get back into learning a bit of code as a hobby I'll have it dangling off the never-used TV/Monitor on my desk and surf the hell out of HPC.co.uk at the very least.

First person to post on HPC using a raspberry pi gets my pointless tech achievement of the year award, and all the kudos that goes with it.

Meanwhile, I save my cash for something I can do some serious work with.

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/AES-K7DSP-325T-G.htm

But 'serious work' isn't 'playful learning'. Would you say your machine was a good choice for someone who knows nothing and wants lots of people in a similar situation to chat with on forums and an abundance of educational articles and descriptions?

Low level software engineering and electronics engineering isn't supposed to be fun.

I didn't get where I am today by having fun, but by smashing my head against the brick wall until it fell down.

The other thing I know is treating kids like kids is patronising. Talking to your baby in goo goo langauge just means it takes longer to learn. Give them the full on talk from day 1, then they'll master it faster.

Admittedly I suppose unless you're very rich letting a 9 year old loose on a 3 grand dev board may produce some costly consequences - but at least they'll learn they can only wreck it once - you'd be amazed at the number of engineers I meet who seem to wreck stuff on a regular basis jsut because they aren't careful, it annoys the hell out of me. Maybe they didn't have the benefit of an angry dad shouting "you're not getting another one" like I did.

I'd go along with that.

Nice idea with the pi, but ultimately the educational goal is a miss - there has been a load of scope with computers in classes, microcontroller kits to do all sorts of neat stuff.

Bottom line, this country has spent the last ten years undermining all those with technical education, bailing out and filling the pockets of the banking sector and importing tech staff to undercut wages.

Result - few want to enter the field and one of the highest unemployment rates for grads is in computer science. Way to go bravo.

Good point, may well mean that the toolsets and available codebase will be smaller thatn would otherwise have been. Publicity wise probably a great launch, reality wise probably more piss poor.

You'd think they had reinvented the wheel, their claim to spur on UK computing and IT will fail - the backdrop is a industrial sector where the workers are sick of being outsourced, offshored, inshored and paid in many cases well below equivalent jobs/professionals at the top levels. Chucking out a cheap board won't fix that.

Expect to see a lot of similar products in the very near future and if this launch is anything to go by without a half-arsed manufacturing and supply capability behind it.

If you want to tinker with some electronics and software get an arduino board. Masses of onlne support, cheap, loads of examples with pretty much every sensor out there, displays, switches, the lot. Low level is where you learn.

Bang on. According to the BBC it will solve the programmer shortage, which according to them is due to the current ICT teaching in schools. No numb nuts it's because kids have looked at the unemployment figures for degree subjects and surprise surprise have seen that Comp. Sci/IT grads have the highest unemployment rates of any subject, and hence it's a waste of time as you will be competing against outsourcing and immigrant labour. FFS.

Low level software engineering and electronics engineering isn't supposed to be fun.

I didn't get where I am today by having fun, but by smashing my head against the brick wall until it fell down.

If you don't find it at least interesting why on earth are you doing it?

Bang on. According to the BBC it will solve the programmer shortage, which according to them is due to the current ICT teaching in schools. No numb nuts it's because kids have looked at the unemployment figures for degree subjects and surprise surprise have seen that Comp. Sci/IT grads have the highest unemployment rates of any subject, and hence it's a waste of time as you will be competing against outsourcing and immigrant labour. FFS.

Well, I remember learning basic programming at school on BBCs - I think as part of Maths. Do people do that now?

Seemed computing was turned into 'IT', which meant teaching MS Office to prepare children for the £12k admin roles they would later enjoy.

I think the Pi SHOULD be the standard school computer - get rid of the vast labs of Dells and iMacs doing nothing of real note. Also get rid of the stranglehold of teaching unions - instead of £35k dimwits with a PGCE, why not get the Computer Science grads in McJobs to teach basic programming for £20k? Everyone a winner...

Archived