House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Micro Anniversary And Raspberry Pi

Riedquat

HOLA441
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

This is something I never got into as a kid (we were poor :lol:). If I wanted to start playing with one of these to try to get my son into it (7 years old), could someone reccomend a good starting project to do with him?

7 years is probably too early for this, 10 years or so is IMHO the right age.

HOLA443

7 years is probably too early for this, 10 years or so is IMHO the right age.

Depends on the child really, they can nearly all pick up tech so easily, most 10 year olds probably know more about the TV controller functions (or phone!) than their parents. The iniital programs really are very simple, just like a simple language.

Something like this - Arduino starter kit with bits to make a number of easy projects plus a little bit of help with getting the software downloaded and set up. Shed loads of online tutorials, other ideas etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arduino-DIY-Starter-Kit-Duemilanove-ATmega-328-LCD-1602-/260742922598?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb57d4166

Load so of different sensors you can get to add on, kits to make simple robots, line tracing robots and cars, comms, gps, SMS/text, audio in out, pretty much anything, just add whatever they want to the kit.

HOLA444

This is something I never got into as a kid (we were poor :lol:). If I wanted to start playing with one of these to try to get my son into it (7 years old), could someone reccomend a good starting project to do with him?

Look at that Lego mindstorms stuff, or something similar. It will be a lot easier to get results from than this if you haven't got any experience hacking around with Linux.

HOLA445
  • 1 month later...
HOLA446

It's nearly ready to launch. Big piece on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16424990

:blink:

There's a couple of things that mean that doesn't surprise me: i) You can still get paid more and have less hassle than a teacher in traditional computer science jobs, or in the city etc. ii) You may know a few computer scientists, how well do you think they would handle a classroom of kids, realistically?

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA447
HOLA448

I just realised the raspberry pi will be cheaper than a PIC programmer (the maplin kit is about £35!)

Rocks doesn't it.

There will be all sorts of pretty addons that make it easy to program and use. I've already got my ED209 designed, just awaiting the raspberry pi then it's world domination.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA449

Rocks doesn't it.

There will be all sorts of pretty addons that make it easy to program and use. I've already got my ED209 designed, just awaiting the raspberry pi then it's world domination.

Less than a day to go now - 6am GMT 29 February 2012

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If you want to introduce a 7yo to the idea of programming something with a sequence of instructions to perform a task, you could consider a Big Trak.

51diqPldmiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was much 'too old' when they first came out in the 1980's, but I still wanted one. I might get one yet.

They might even suit older boys if they were fitted with a video camera and programmed to go into their sister's bedroom.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Yes - all the buying sites appear to be melting. I feel like one of my foolish female friends trying to buy a Take That ticket. :lol:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/#howtobuy

http://twitter.com/#!/raspberry_pi

farnell.com

rswww.com

One of the tweets just said it's on BBC breakfast and will be on the news all day, so any remaining chance has just been scotched.

Hi

I've managed to register with Farnell and get the Raspberry Pi page up but can't see a BUY button!

Raspberry Pi Link at Farnell

Good Luck

M21er

HOLA4414

Sorry M21er, but I think one of the tweets says that Farnell has already sold out. But another tweet says that pre-orders will work on both sites from today. (I assume they can make and ship another load PDQ, as I imagine they are not only already prepared to, but that the shortage might well be media driven, simply for the "news" today.)

Hi Durch - Thanks for that - just seen the Tweet. Sold out at 6:30am! Hope I don't see them on eBay later today ...

M21er

HOLA4415

Hmm, are they selling just the bare board without any casing?

That seems like a mayor oversight to me, I guess a geek wouldn't mind but I doubt teachers will go for that...

I'd rather buy it already assembled in a case than having to search around for a suitable case and pay twice for shipping.

HOLA4416

I must admit that years of meditation have led me to never getting too upset any more when "hopes" are dashed. (I'm not sure I had any real "hopes", TBH.)

I'll wait.

Waiting is only a problem for people with too little patience...

Good things come to those who wait! :)

Do you know anything about casing options? Without a proper case this is useless to me.

HOLA4417

Truthfully, I'm currently removed from the world of women - but I was very lucky when I was young and open.

I think I'm on the brink of a re-emergence - like a butterfly. But I doubt it will get as far as marriage by tomorrow evening.

Good set up for a Hollywood film though. Here's the pitch:

An insufferable ladies' man is chatting with his friend about how all New Yorker women are constantly angling for marital commitment. He bets his mate that it is possible for him to meet a girl and get her to propose to him by the close of tomorrow evening - February 29th. The girl he must persuade, for reasons shown to us, the audience (her last relationship just broke up disastrously due to her marriage-pleading and control), has vowed never to try to persuade a guy to marry her again. Hilarious capers ensue. Everybody learns something about themselves and boy and girl both ask each other simultaneously at the most vulnerable, climactic moment of Midnight February 29th. Marital bliss ensues.

Awwwwwwwww

I'd watch it.

Love the title btw.

Yes OH hasn't got up early to buy one as I reckon he assumes everyone else will be rushing today. It's not going to be limited to only a few thousand being made though is it?

Are they the right size for fitting in a tobacco tin? (Does anyone have tobacco tins anymore?)

HOLA4418

No, they'll make as many as people want - hopefully millions in the end, if it explodes (and the educational aim explodes) the way some of us hope.

It's credit card sized, so it should fit in a tobacco tin. I think we'll see a lot of intriguing casing mods over the next few months.

It might fit inside my iphone I spose. I better not suggest that to my oh else he will try!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It says in the video that the educational release - later in the year - will have a transparent plastic case. This release is aimed at people that don't mind the barebones - as they might well fiddle with it and alter/break it.

Thanks for the info.

I think if this release was aimed at people that want to fiddle with it (i.e. geeks) then they should have reserved the media hype for the cased launch. Given the low price I imagine too many units of these initial batches will get in the hands of people who have no clue how to handle a bare electronics board, and consequently get broken/shorted fairly quickly, simply contributing to landfill and resource waste.

HOLA4422
The idea of using it as a battery powered controller for non-computerised machinery and gadgets is brilliant. It's a Heath Robinson dream.

I can think of innumerable uses for automation and embedded uses. Unfortunately not good enough to run as a front end to MythTV but I'm certainly going to buy one or two.

HOLA4423

I tried to order one this morning, tres difficile.I have manged to 'register an interest' at RS Components, but the Farnell site is down as is the raspberry pi site.

'Twill be nice to get back to programming again like I used to do with my old BBC micro. (It's in the loft.)

Now thinking of applications, back to head scratching. :wacko:

HOLA4424

I'm assuming he's bought them today and just reselling at a nice markup.

17 sold? Did he buy them all?

:(

Now sold 23 - The orders were supposed to have been restricted to one per person. Can't see how he could have got hold of so many unless some insider Knowledge of the websites at Farnell / RS Components?

HOLA4425

Now sold 23 - The orders were supposed to have been restricted to one per person. Can't see how he could have got hold of so many unless some insider Knowledge of the websites at Farnell / RS Components?

Apparently a scam

lee morrison ‏ @MINKIN_2 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

@Raspberry_Pi EVERYONE! Stop posting that ebay item!. He is a scammer and getting more sales from here. Pic posted is the Alpha proto board

Strange it's a scam as prior to today, his feedback as a seller is 100% Maybe he has genuinely got hold of them to resell?

Archived