House Price Crash Forum

Harry Ramsden To Close First Fish And Chip Restaurant After 83 Years

Seriously, I've been to 2 Harry Ramsden's now and I don't know what the fuss is about.

It is chipped fried potatoes and battered fish, for Christ's sake.

and mushy peas dear boy!!

anyway it appears that their net profits have taken a battering!

Seriously, I've been to 2 Harry Ramsden's now and I don't know what the fuss is about.

It is chipped fried potatoes and battered fish, for Christ's sake.

If you've ever had a good fish&chips, you'll know what the fuss is about :)

However, the only time I've been to Harry Ramsden, it was indeed just chipped fried potatoes and battered fish, nothing more.

If you've ever had a good fish&chips, you'll know what the fuss is about :)

However, the only time I've been to Harry Ramsden, it was indeed just chipped fried potatoes and battered fish, nothing more.

Agreed.

There are a few great fish and chip shops in the whole of the country.

One is Derby (Osmaston) consistently amazing, another in Mansfield.

One on Cherry Hinton Rd Cambridge but wasnt as special last time I went.

I also remember one in Bradford at the top of the hill up from the Alhanbra at the corner of Kirkgate and Bridge Street. Now gone but used to be amazing.

I've been in a few Harry Ramsden's and they just don't seem to be what they used to be.

A few places on the coast are good too but the ones above I have driven a 30 miles out of my way to go to.

Oh - cant miss out Covelli's on Newton Rd Mumbles but then I am biased!

Agreed.

There are a few great fish and chip shops in the whole of the country.

One is Derby (Osmaston) consistently amazing, another in Mansfield.

One on Cherry Hinton Rd Cambridge but wasnt as special last time I went.

I also remember one in Bradford at the top of the hill up from the Alhanbra at the corner of Kirkgate and Bridge Street. Now gone but used to be amazing.

I've been in a few Harry Ramsden's and they just don't seem to be what they used to be.

A few places on the coast are good too but the ones above I have driven a 30 miles out of my way to go to.

Oh - cant miss out Covelli's on Newton Rd Mumbles but then I am biased!

If you are ever in the area you should try the one on the sea front by the pier at Slatburn by the Sea. You have to queue in the open air to get to the serving hatch. Last time I waited for 30 minutes in a stiff breeze and it was worth every single second!

I recall there used to be coach parties by the score go to the Guisely place.

I guess that is part of the market which has suffered worst with the silver hair brigade having their incomes decimated by the low interest rates.

Same here at our hotel. At this time of the year mid week we used to be busy with them. I'm taking 2007, but now very very few.

Maybe it will reopen in a different Guise...lely

Sorry if that's a red herring.

STOP CARPING! It was the only plaice to serve cod'n chips by waitbass service with carp ets and chandeliers all round! Even a monk fish was once in the habit. Why wouldn't every icod outa touch youngster want to go there?

Too bloody expensive.

This is a world with massive takeaway choice unlike the 30's. I noticed a chippy in worthing Sussex had shut recently. Then I turned down another road a mile away and saw another shut too! "eh up, It's codchip masala from now on lad"

I agree i've tried them several times , Its just one of those designer marketing ploys that has had its day.

Did Marketings even exist 83 years ago?

What didn't help was that their recipe was 'discovered' by all and sundry.

I used to go there as kid, my mother worked in the luny bin at High Royds Hospital. Pretty good but not worth the trip.