House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BuyingBear

Housing Benefit Claimant 'had Homes Worth £3m'

Can't blame the women, as with most land lords most times are hard,interest reates and voids are rising, desperate times...

Housing benefit claimant 'had homes worth £3m'

A woman claiming housing benefits allegedly owned and rented out more than 40 houses worth £3 million, it has been revealed.

Frances McCluskey, who was on income support, also allegedly had two cars as well as undisclosed money in a number of bank and building society accounts.

Details emerged after the Assets Recovery Agency (ARA) was granted a High Court order to freeze her assets, which allows an interim receiver to move in to manage the properties.

Meanwhile, a further detailed inquiry will be carried out in advance of a legal application to have the assets forfeited.

It is the first case of its type in Northern Ireland after the agency took over the investigative work of social security officials probing false claims last September.

Ms McCluskey, it is alleged, owned 42 properties, mainly in west Belfast.

She has an address at Priory Park, off the city's upper Lisburn Road, and traded under the name of Parkdale Homes.

A bank account in the name of a woman, Bernadette Maria Donnelly, believed to be her sister living in New Jersey, in the US, has also been frozen.

The ARA alleged at the High Court in Belfast that Ms McCluskey had been claiming income support benefit since 1993, but failed to declare she was trading in property and developing a substantial housing portfolio.

It was also claimed she made a number of false declarations about her assets, including substantial rental income when making mortgage applications.

The legal action is the latest in a series of moves by the ARA as part of a crackdown on organised crime in Northern Ireland.

Alan McQuillan, assistant director, said: "We are now working closely with a number of Government departments, assisting them in relation to other cases. We are also actively discussing further referrals from them."

The ARA has been given pretty extensive powers to confiscate goods and property of those who they 'suspect' guilty of criminal activity.

see also Farmer denies any IRA assets link

The Assets Recovery Agency last week raided property company Craven Property as part of its investigations into alleged IRA links to 250 Manchester properties valued at about £9m

What are the ARA going to do with all his property? Sell it off at auction as soon as they can I would have thought.

How much other property has been purchased recently as a money laundering scheme?

There could be a few bargains out there soon.

While this is obviously wrong and should be dealt with severely, assuming it has actually happened, what disturbs me more is the fact that the scale of her operation shows that the systems to prevent this are not working.

How many people are getting away with this sort of thing because they are not getting greedy and are flying under the radar?

I object to the hoops I now need to jump through to 'prove' who I am whenever I want to do anything financial, then I read of these sorts of stories of huge abuse that goes undetected for ages. I bet it wasn't detected at all but was a tip-off.

Also, what's the chances of her sister having nothing to do with it. This whole international exporting of 'justice' is quite alarming. What hope have you got if the authorities in America, for example, claim that you've been up to some sort of criminality? You have no access to the legal system in America, yet their grip has been exported to here and vice versa. I know this has always really been the case with deportations, but there are new ways of implementing 'justice' since 9/11 where you don't even need to be accused of anything in particular, or if you are you may not even be told what it is.

But who's really to blame for someone abusing the system as much as in this story?

Guest magnoliawalls

Contrast these cases

1. From the times, a woman steals more than £127,000 from the state and walks free from court.

At the time of her arrest the 45-year-old was living in a sumptuous home in Cowley, West London, which had two tennis courts, extensive landscaped grounds and stables with six horses, Isleworth Crown Court was told.

Cars including a BMW and a vintage Volkswagen were parked in the drive and among Came’s staff were a gardener and a nanny. She also had a second property worth £400,000 and was earning £1,000 a week running several market stalls.

But as far as the benefits office was concerned, the divorcée was living in a modest two-bedroom terrace housing association property in Uxbridge.

The deceit enabled her to secure £127,612.20 from social services. By the time investigators had calculated additional benefit from rent and rising property prices, the figure had soared to £352,342.06.

She stood impassively yesterday as Judge Sam Katkhuda told her: “I would have imposed an immediate custodial sentence but for the fact you had the good sense to finally admit these offences.

2. A man who stole four rings worth 8,000 from jewellers is jailed for 15 months. BBC

Lincoln Crown Court heard how James Evans, 30, asked to look at rings in shops in Horncastle, Gainsborough and Grantham before running off with them.

Why is stealing from a jeweller worse than stealing from society?

Contrast these cases

1. From the times, a woman steals more than £127,000 from the state and walks free from court.

2. A man who stole four rings worth 8,000 from jewellers is jailed for 15 months. BBC

Why is stealing from a jeweller worse than stealing from society?

Just another reason as to why I will never return to the UK to live

How many people are getting away with this sort of thing

Ive posted many examples of this kind of thing and been set upon by left leaning members. Thier reposte usually goes something like "most people on benefits / living on council estates are hard working honest people just trying to do best for thier kids". Anyone thinking like them is truly deluded and completely out of touch.

I grew up on a council estate and I can say with certainty that about 80% of people were on the fiddle.

The problem is with lefties that they only see what they want to see. Somehow they fail to connect with real people so are easily taken - in by them. What happens is that people recognise that thier lefty social worker / teacher / probation officer is a part of the state and also not the type to indulge in the moonlight economy so they put on a front to such people. That why lefties are so deluded. They simply fail to see what really goes on and dismiss those that are fully aware as 'Daily Mailers'.

I know people now who lay about all day because they have a limp. Letting out the council pad is very very common. Most people on my old estate were earning significant cash incomes - it really is a way of life and certainly not as the left and BBC always portray 'fringe stuff'.

Edited by dogbox

Ive posted many examples of this kind of thing and been set upon by left leaning members. Thier reposte usually goes something like "most people on benefits / living on council estates are hard working honest people just trying to do best for thier kids"

Oh they are not actual quotes then, just ones manufactured by you because it suits the picture you wish to paint of those you see as left leaning members.......did I hear somewhere that Bill Clinton has something along those lines :rolleyes:

The problem is with lefties that they only see what they want to see. Somehow they fail to connect with real people so are easily taken - in by them. What happens is that people recognise that thier lefty social worker / teacher / probation officer is a part of the state and also not the type to indulge in the moonlight economy so they put on a front to such people. That why lefties are so deluded. They simply fail to see what really goes on and dismiss those that are fully aware as 'Daily Mailers'.

Sorry dogbox you had me going there for a minute, then I realised your taking the @iss :D

Edited by Catch22