House Price Crash Forum

How Scrooge Are You? (working Version)

HOLA441

OK asssorted Ebeneezers, inspired by the article I read in The Sun(!) that the average Briton could last just 18 days without income coming in I pose the same question to you.

How long could you last - sustaining something similar to your current lifestyle - with no income?

You can cut back on luxuries but base your approximate on your living costs (rent, mortgage) or similalry fixed costs (loans) remaining the same?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Is this based on living off savings until they run out?

Yes.

No trading shares, no "cash in hand jobs"...imagine you are incapable of working at all and depend on your savings alone.

If you have investments however (say in shares) then please convert those to their liquid equivelent.

POST-SCRIPT:

I thought this would be a nice 'pat on the back' for saving but my results are quite scary! Knowing I could survive 5-10 years if I packed up and sat on my **** is frighetningly tempting. Such is the want of a mortgage-less, child-less Donnie. :rolleyes:

Edited by DonnieDarker

HOLA446
HOLA447

Yes.

No trading shares, no "cash in hand jobs"...imagine you are incapable of working at all and depend on your savings alone.

If you have investments however (say in shares) then please convert those to their liquid equivelent.

Excuse me asking DD, but what kind of job is it that you have, that

allows you to stash up mountains of savings (as we keep hearing) and then

spend endless time reading the Sun and posting on here, probing other people's savings

and rejoicing over poor sods who are living hand to mouth

and could only survive 18 days if they got the boot?

Just wondering..

HOLA448

Indefinitely, unless Betfair changed an awful lot.

There's enough cash to last five years or so and my betfair market software (fully automated) makes a very decent profit on a daily basis.

Edited by eek

HOLA449

Excuse me asking DD, but what kind of job is it that you have, that

allows you to stash up mountains of savings (as we keep hearing) and then

spend endless time reading the Sun and posting on here, probing other people's savings

and rejoicing over poor sods who are living hand to mouth

and could only survive 18 days if they got the boot?

Just wondering..

I am a professional cynic. Believe me, it's a hard graft and unusually rewarding.

(Apologies if my gallows humour offends, I'm afraid it is second-nature to me and I'm a pretty insensitive soul unless I know you well).

Edited by DonnieDarker

HOLA4410

Indefinitely, unless Betfair changed an awful lot.

There's enough cash to last five years or so and my betfair market software (fully automated) makes a very decent profit on a daily basis.

Are you arb trading with this software ?

if so, can you please recommend the software.

HOLA4411

Apart from running a car (my work cannot be reached by public transport :( ) and renting a slightly nicer flat with my gf, instead of having a room in a shared flat, I still have basically the same lifestyle as when I was a research student about 5 years ago. But my income is now 10x what it was. Everything else goes in the bank.

So, my response was 5-10 years....

frugalista

Edited by frugalista

HOLA4412

Are you arb trading with this software ?

if so, can you please recommend the software.

Yes to some extent the rest is market and book making.

Its my own software so its not available (and why would any sensible person sell arb software?)

HOLA4413

Yes.

POST-SCRIPT:

I thought this would be a nice 'pat on the back' for saving but my results are quite scary! Knowing I could survive 5-10 years if I packed up and sat on my **** is frighetningly tempting. Such is the want of a mortgage-less, child-less Donnie. :rolleyes:

If thats the case then i would move abroad and travel. it would be cheaper and alot more interesting than sitting in the UK. Plus the cash would last much longer, for example, in thailand you can hire a beach hut for £2 a night !

HOLA4414

'Yes

No trading shares, no "cash in hand jobs"...imagine you are incapable of working at all and depend on your savings alone.'

What about being self sufficent? I already go hunting and grow my own veg when I feel like it. Because if I can count that. Then it would be indefinetly as long as my health didn't give out.

Roast pheasant with some game chips and stuffing, or barbequed rabbit in honey marinade. Very nice.

:)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Holy Cow!

and in england i can rent a room with free electricty water, gas, broadband internet, and my council tax paid for.... all in for £7.25, which isnt much more (and its not a beach hut, its in a house in a city centre)... Food would probably be cheaper over there though

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4417

Yes to some extent the rest is market and book making.

Its my own software so its not available (and why would any sensible person sell arb software?)

The same reason why any sensible person sells software, copyright.

www.autobet.co.uk sell arb software

www.arbmirage.info sell arb software

www.binteko.com sell arb software

Nevermind.

HOLA4418

I have been without income for 6 months now so far

With the help of tins of tuna, and cheap coffee i spend about £15 a week and £65 a week rent (i am being robbed it should be less than £50 but need to be next door to the library)

Based on that 112 weeks.

But i have cheated because my girlfriend brings me lunch some days. If not i get stale sarnies for 70p from the canteen

HOLA4419

Voted 5-10 years, if i was just spending my savings.

Wow thats a temping thought! I'd could spend all day playing my guitar, smoking, eatin frozen kebabs and pizza and drinking cans of guinness, I'd be well happy! :) Prob wouldn't live very long though. :(

Or, become a Bhuddist and spend even less cash, whilst contemplating the mysteries of your inner self and attaining enlightenment... rice anyone? :D

HOLA4420

I have been without income for 6 months now so far

With the help of tins of tuna, and cheap coffee i spend about £15 a week and £65 a week rent (i am being robbed it should be less than £50 but need to be next door to the library)

Based on that 112 weeks.

But i have cheated because my girlfriend brings me lunch some days. If not i get stale sarnies for 70p from the canteen

Tuna and coffee diet! You could market that.

I assume the girlfriend has no sense of smell then?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

If I went into scrooge mode I'd change flat in a shot - that's the main area where I could save money. Sell my car, sell a bunch of furniture on ebay, move into the all-inclusive basement flat I saw... 10 years I reckon. Of course that excludes the possibility of having a family so it's not really attractive.

As for huts on Thai beaches... a friend of mine did that but he couldn't give up the internet. The connection ended up costing far more than everything else put together. :)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I am very much a scrooge.

My parents taught me about the value of saving and (spending wisely) from an early age.

I paid my FTB mortgage off (by overpaying) inside 7 years.

I have had no no debts at all for over 4 years and have a 6 figure sum saved towards my next property(s).

So I reckon I could go 15 years at a push with no income until I had to sell the house and then I could go a fair few more years on the proceeds of the house if I started renting.

But I'm not going to do that whilst there's money to be earned!

Bah, HUMBUG!

HOLA4425
Guest Bart of Darkness

3 years, probably 4 on beans on toast style frugality.

18 days? That is just a lot of stored up trouble waiting to be unleashed.