• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I wonder how many people posting on here today during working hours are employed in the private sector ?.

Never mind, day off tomorrow, chance to put my feet up and relax, dreaming of my gold-plated pension.

Sing; if you're jealous & you know it clap your hands :P:P:P

Dreaming is as close as you are going to get.

Enjoy your day off, but remember. That which can't happen, won't.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I know some Welsh uni workers who, doing a recent strike, basically worked from home.

They didn't want to lose a day's wage even though they fully agreed with the strike... but they didn't want to go on strike either... but they also wanted to be thought of as being on strike...

So they worked from home, got paid their day's wage and if anyone asked them about the strike they said that they had been on strike.

Wonder how many across the public sector will do similar on Wednesday?

HOLA448

I know some Welsh uni workers who, doing a recent strike, basically worked from home.

They didn't want to lose a day's wage even though they fully agreed with the strike... but they didn't want to go on strike either... but they also wanted to be thought of as being on strike...

So they worked from home, got paid their day's wage and if anyone asked them about the strike they said that they had been on strike.

Can you see the obvious flaw with this approach ?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

the more an more i see/read/hear about the public sector strikes, their reasons behind them etc, the more i think that its "Spoilt Brat Syndrome".

I fully understand why the public sector is striking, they want more money, they dont want to loose their pension etc. but i dont agree with it.

if you dont like the new terms and conditions go find another job. thats what i'm doing. go an look for a job that is equal or better that YOU could do, then leave. dont be childish.

i havent had a pay rise for 4 years, nor a bonus, ovetime was scrapped and i pay for my OWN pension, out of MY own wage.

other working conditions have changed/not changed who i am not happy with, i have raised all my concerns with my wage, etc and there is nothing he can really do. if i get the rise i want it will reduce the (minimal) proffit they make, as well as put my charge out rate up, which in this ecconomy is not good. our overheads are high, and we are trying to lower them, but all of our consumables have go up by upto 100% in the last 4 years, this squeezes our margins even more.

all the while everything is getting more expensive for me, as a consumer. its costing me mor money to go to work, its costing me more money to heat my home, eat, etc.

then all i hear is the public sector bleating on about how hard doneby they are.

try working for 50 hours + for the last 4 years, and get no over time. being paid for 37.5 hours only

oh its so easy, put the taxes up, and yes you lot pay taxes as well, but you taking out of the system far more than your putting in.

I, as a White male, living with my G/F, no kids, etc both working professionals, get NO handouts from the government in anyway what so ever. we both pay for private health care and private dentists.

yes there are services we use, Bin Collection, but i recycle more than most.

all i see is approx 70+% of my wage being spent on taxes, for what? to have it thrown back in my face by ungreatful children saying its not enough.

I am in one of the highest taxed groups,

i smoke

i drink

i drive

i dont mind paying taxes, its a neccessary evil, but when they keep going up and i actually get less for the money (road surfaces deteriorating faster/getting fixed less etc) when people who are on the receiving end of them should think about the wider world before they start spouting ******

i am FORCED to pay taxes, if i dont i'll get billed, and possibly put in prison, i have no choice, its not like a supermarket, where if i dissagree with their prices etc i'll go to another supermarket, and IF you lot get your way my taxes go up, with no question of if or how i am to pay for it. they just go up. i cant strike from paying tax. i have very little say as to where/how my taxes are spent.

are you willing to pay 100% more for your Coffee at starbucks etc as all starbucks employees want a pay rise, and if they dont they will strike. Oh hang on they cant strike or they'll get sacked.

what about their pensions? they dont get one that paid for them.

how about your local pub putting up all the prices for alcohol by 200% as the staff want a final salary pension? if they dont get it they'll strike. Oh hang on they cant strike or they'll get sacked.

i dont care if you lot strike, stay on strike for all i care, but think about what you are trying to acheive, and how you expect it to be paid for. be lucky you actually have a job,

the ONLY thing that George Osbourne has ever said thati agree with was today, when he announced the pay free and capped 1% rise in 2013 and 2014.

he said " this is to help the people paying the taxes which pay for these wages".

Finally, spot f*uking on.

HOLA4411

if i got my pay rise, and my company put up my charge out rate, we WILL loose business, as my customers will want to save money and go else where, as their overheads are going up too.

i dont have a choice of who i get ot collect my bins, you just tell me how much i have to pay.

i want to see exactly a brake down of every penny in tax i pay broken down to see where its gone, if i put my prices up i have to justify them, so why can the government?

Edited by Monkey

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

What gets me is that the Unions have orderd NHS workers, to strike, not for themselves, but purely to support the F@rkin teachers!!! :angry:

So the people who needed NHS care on Wednesday at the local infirmary will not get it.

[i know this as my Dad who is in his late seventies goes to a physio class with a bunch of other geriatrics. The physio walked in and told them last wednesday, that all of their appointments are cancelled next week, and gave this as the reason]

If someone works and pays tax for over 50 years, you would think, the NHS would be there when he needed them.

Edited by Milton

HOLA4416

I wonder how many people posting on here today during working hours are employed in the private sector ?.

Never mind, day off tomorrow, chance to put my feet up and relax, dreaming of my gold-plated pension.

Sing; if you're jealous & you know it clap your hands :P:P:P

I must confess I was working today while I was posting today

But I must also confess

I started at 6.30

have worked all day without a break (apart from being on here)

am now at home and am still working now and will be handling mails from all round the world til about 11.

I am not bitter about not being in the Public sector, I am not cut out for it and love what I do, just fed up listening to self interested people who don't understand maths or what is going on in the world

I have the day off too tomorrow, simply because I am taking the opportunity to spend a day with my son, not because I have to but because I want to

I don't think I am alone in having little sympathy for those striking

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Oh no, the toys are coming out of the pram. (again)

Suggest you get a life & a job instead of trying to act like a hard man behind your computer screen

Sad boy

Just out of interest, and to take the ad homs out of the discussion, how do you justify your position in supporting the strikes and revelling in the glaring difference between public and private sector pension arrangements?

HOLA4420

Oh no, the toys are coming out of the pram. (again)

Suggest you get a life & a job instead of trying to act like a hard man behind your computer screen

Sad boy

the toys came out of the pram with the strikes, the revelling in others' poverty marks you out as pernicious and nasty

I merely summed this up in a word

HOLA4421

With the exception of the union reps, virtually the entire academic workforce of my institution who don't have timetabled teaching and/or meetings tomorrow (if they do, then they either have to show up or notify the management that they're taking part in the strike, thereby triggering the loss of wages) will be doing precisely that. I'm sure it's absolutely no coincidence that this strike has been called for Wednesday: Wednesday afternoons are traditionally kept clear of regularly scheduled events in universities (to enable students' sports matches to take place and stuff like that), thereby increasing the number of people who will be able to 'strike but not strike'.

I say virtually, because even though I don't have any timetabled sessions tomorrow, I am striking and have notified the management accordingly. This is not because I support the strike in any ideological way, shape or form, but because I could use use time to write up a consultancy report commissioned from me independently of the university.

HOLA4422

Just out of interest, and to take the ad homs out of the discussion, how do you justify your position in supporting the strikes and revelling in the glaring difference between public and private sector pension arrangements?

I don't think many public sector workers are revelling in the poor deal their private sector counterparts get. the unions have been vocal in calling for levelling up rather than reducing all workers to the lowest common denominator.

HOLA4423

I don't think many public sector workers are revelling in the poor deal their private sector counterparts get. the unions have been vocal in calling for levelling up rather than reducing all workers to the lowest common denominator.

In the past week there have been numerous public sector workers interviewed on TV and radio almost gloating about their pensions compared to the private sector.

HOLA4424

How would the government be able to afford to pay 18-22 million private sector employees what they pay public sector employees currently?

HOLA4425