House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vwphil

What Would Things Cost?

Afternoon all,

Just had a thought, was just reading about the proposed increase in the TV licence fee.

But i was wondering how peoples mentality works.

Houseprices rocket and its a great thing, but what if everthing had followed HPI what would we be paying for a MArs bar for example or a pint of Beer??

I dont have any figures to hand but could be an interesting exercise to demonstrate

how mad the HPI has been.

Anyone care to help or am i just being mad???

Phil :blink::blink:;)

Not sure about Mars bars, but if I remember correctly a Mini cost about 600 pounds when my parents bought their house. So if car prices had risen with house price inflation, you'd be paying about 120,000 pounds for a Mini today.

Not sure about Mars bars, but if I remember correctly a Mini cost about 600 pounds when my parents bought their house. So if car prices had risen with house price inflation, you'd be paying about 120,000 pounds for a Mini today.

Thats a great example been trying to find beer price data, no luck so far... :angry:

People always say that "you can't have your cake and eat it", but with houses you can live in it for many years and still have a saleable asset at the end.

The fact that maintenance has to be paid for doesn't negate this aspect of property.

That's why people think about rising property prices completely differently to consumables.

Illogical, but sentiment matters more than logic.

People always say that "you can't have your cake and eat it", but with houses you can live in it for many years and still have a saleable asset at the end.

The fact that maintenance has to be paid for doesn't negate this aspect of property.

That's why people think about rising property prices completely differently to consumables.

Illogical, but sentiment matters more than logic.

Yes.

Slightly digressing, but I've never understood those that complain "If I have a cake I bl00dy well WANT to eat it.". They are missing the point.

The emphasis is wrong usually when the usual quote is given. It should be:

"You can't HAVE your cake AND eat it."

or

"You can't keep your cake and eat it."

but that doesn't sound right.

To me, it's a bit like MEWing:

"You can't HAVE your equity and eat it (or pee it up a wall, or go on holiday with it, or buy a TT/Mini/SUV with it)."