House Price Crash Forum
Guest_ianbe_*

Estate Agents Messing With Rightmove

We've noticed the same thing in our area Bath / Somerset. It has been going on for months but it is getting worse. I just do not take any notice of the newly posted stuff!

Rightmove will need to do something to stamp it out or they are going to look dead stupid.

It is also common for an agent to place an ad for a house on rightmove, then place another one, identical, but the price 10-15K higher. People searching then see both and think the house has been reduced and can get a bargin when in fact both ads were placed at the same time.

These ads just says to me "Do not trust this EA. You will get ripped off".

Over the last few weeks the irritating practise of agents relisting their entire inventory on Rightmove has reached epidemic proportions in my region (Suffolk).

A typical number of new properties in my search area used to be about 100-120 a day. That figure is now usually in the region of 300-400. Up to 15% of all 'new' properties are marked as 'under offer' which just illustrates my point.

Some agents are so adept at relisting that certain properties never leave the search of new properties added in the last 24 hours!

I think I can confidently predict that Rightmove will report a healthy rise in property turnover this month, especially as some properties must have been relisted (i.e. sold in Rightmove talk) at least a dozen times already this month.

Since you have seemed to have exposed these anolomies in their system why not e-mail them with your concerns and see if you get a reply?

Norfolk ea`s are also re-listing anything they may have received an offer on.

Not only are they re-listing these properties as new on in the last 24hours even though they have had some of them on their books for months they are hiking the prices back upto the first asking price, even though they were listed at lower prices prior.

We've noticed the same thing in our area Bath / Somerset. It has been going on for months but it is getting worse. I just do not take any notice of the newly posted stuff!

Rightmove will need to do something to stamp it out or they are going to look dead stupid.

Do they have a contact field on their website - perhaps they should be invited to comment here on our forum ?? !!

:D:lol::D:lol::D

This is exactly the kind of practice/issue that 'begs' to be exposed via letters to newspapers and possibly by contacting freelance journalists to point them in the direction of a 'story'. Also letters to MPs wouldn't go amiss. This would more likely have the effect of stopping Estate Agents carrying out this kind of practice than by contacting them directly. Adverse publicity is the last thing they want when the whole market is turning against them.

surely the easiest way to combat is just to introduce a higher charge for first time listing and a lesser charge to hold the property. like £3 to list on rightmove and then 50p a week. (then the agents would be scared to keep relisting if they arent selling)

A typical number of new properties in my search area used to be about 100-120 a day. That figure is now usually in the region of 300-400. Up to 15% of all 'new' properties are marked as 'under offer' which just illustrates my point.

Ah, that explains it. It's happening in Milton Keynes, as well. Also, I think that rightmove must use an elastic tape measure. I search on MK plus 5 miles, and get houses from much further than 5 miles away (but they also do miss some),

Peter.

Occassionally I get properties in Spain and Cyprus popping up within 15 miles of Bury St Edmunds!

I suspect that it's only a matter of time before vintage cars, fine art and crates of wine start appearing.

I've emailed Rightmove before with my concerns. I've even suggested improvements to their methodology. Never had a reply though.

They've also screwed up big time this morning. Do a search on an area and request changes in the last 24 hours only. So far so good. Now move onto the next page - and you'll find it's forgotten that the search was for the last 24 hours only!

Rightmove are going downhill fast in my estimation.

Following their recent headlines about prices coming down just had a look at the express website to see it their was a contact box rather than me revealing my e-mail address [work and all that!!] but no joy - anyone else able to e-mail them the URL for this string and point out a nice juicy justification for their recent headline????!!!! news.desk@express.co.uk

:D:D:D

They've also screwed up big time this morning. Do a search on an area and request changes in the last 24 hours only. So far so good. Now move onto the next page - and you'll find it's forgotten that the search was for the last 24 hours only!

Just had that too. It also applies to "last 3 days",

Peter.