House Price Crash Forum

Another Price Rise

Just got a letter from NTL telling me prices are going up. OK only by about £3-4 a month but this is on top of the one I received only last month about higher gas prices. Then the one last week from Barcalycard who are increasing interest (I don't use the card and have nothing on it so that doesn't bother me)... now it's NTL.

Any one else get a letter this morning from NTL?

I only just joined them for internet, there price of 25 quid a month for broadband seemed really good. If it goes up I will just change providers.

So did I but they've been so crap I tried to cancel....forgot that small matter of a 12 month contract though :angry:

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Well myself I will stick to GPO telephones the original and best, or do they call it British Telecom now? :unsure:

Guest rigsby II

Well myself I will stick to GPO telephones the original and best, or do they call it British Telecom now? :unsure:

I remember when me Dad tried to get our first telephone, back around 1970.

There was an eighteen month waiting list to get a line.

Dialling up the speaking-clock really was exciting in those days, as was dial-a-disc for the latest pop-record.

Well worth the wait, those trimphones were brill. Just like on the Golden Shot.

Oh and as for the GPO, made redundant from them as well, circa 1980, all part of the rebranding/reorganisation BT shake-up.

:)

Edited by rigsby II

Well worth the wait, those trimphones were brill. Just like on the Golden Shot.

I thought the one on the Golden Shot was painted gold, though? Don't tell me your family had a gold trimphone? Yuck! :D

Nomadd

I'm sure I heard that BT doesn't even stand for British Telecom now. It's just their name and doesn't really mean anything.

Weren't the Post Office or Royal Mail meant to be reintroducing a telephone service soon?

As for NTL, I'm with them but haven't received a letter, but the post comes after I've left the house. I'm in the process of investigating Freeview (reception, aerials, boxes etc.) to see if I can dump NTL's TV 'service'.

T'Internet is quite good though, although I gather lots of people won't agree with me on that one!

It's the TV service that has increased. I haven't had anything about telephone increases.

I'm thinking of going back to free view too..what with top up and more channels I think this is getting a better option.

Gas & Lecky = Utility Warehouse (they don't pay comparison sites)

Landline rental = one-tel @ £10/month (slightly cheaper than BT for same service)

Broadband = UK-Online £10/month

Landline calls = 1899.com & 18866.com (ridiculously cheap)

mobile = orange but with virgin-equivalent deal, using "orange price promise"

water = only economies I could come up with were a. fix all dripping taps b. fix seal on toilet c. adjust flush volumes on toilets d. instal waterbutts.

Anyone found better deals. I reckon BT has to be the worst deal out there, followed by British Gas.

Landline rental = one-tel @ £10/month (slightly cheaper than BT for same service)

water = only economies I could come up with were a. fix all dripping taps b. fix seal on toilet c. adjust flush volumes on toilets d. instal waterbutts.

Anyone found better deals. I reckon BT has to be the worst deal out there, followed by British Gas.

BT is the one I grudge most. I use my mobile for calls, so only need a landline for my broadband connection.

Use Scottish Power for gas and electricity - all prices are going up, but it is worthwhile having the same provider for both, and making sure you have an online account which usually gives most benefits.

I hope this one-tel isn't in any way related to the company by the same name that operated in Australia. Get ready to pay for a lot of things you don't use (like calls you never made) if they are. They used to send out the bills at irregular intervals too just to make it even harder for anyone to keep track of where their money was going. I signed up for their "cheaper" rates, made about the same number of calls and the bill went up probably 50%! And then they went bust in Oz and there's been all sorts of investigations into the people behind the company so I do hope it's not the same one-tel.

I hope this one-tel isn't in any way related to the company by the same name that operated in Australia. Get ready to pay for a lot of things you don't use (like calls you never made) if they are. They used to send out the bills at irregular intervals too just to make it even harder for anyone to keep track of where their money was going. I signed up for their "cheaper" rates, made about the same number of calls and the bill went up probably 50%! And then they went bust in Oz and there's been all sorts of investigations into the people behind the company so I do hope it's not the same one-tel.

Centrica (owners of British Gas) bought the UK arm of One tel when the business collapsed in Oz - think they sorted out the problems

Yes it's the same one-tel, but in the UK they were taken over by Centrica.

I have been using them for years with no probs at all.

They saved me a fortune (3p/min to Germany when BT were 28p/min) over the years, but now cheaper firms are out there (until recently 1899.com were 0p/min to Germany, with only a 2p connection charge per call), so I just use One-Tel for line rental.

As soon as a cheaper line rental becomes available from another firm I will switch to that.

Basically, most of these services are just a commodity - price is the main reason to choose the supplier.

UK-Online have been excellent since I got set up.

Signed up with TalkTalk last december on a special deal.

Free calls to other people on TalkTalk, so not too bad.

No monthly fee.

Best part was that by signing up in dec was that international calls off peak to US, CA, AU were free, saving a fortune this year (several hundred pounds saved!)

Referred from friend so got £20 credit as well.

Going to cancel if there are any fees once the deal runs out, can do so anytime. Hopefully they offer the same again :-)

Almost a year on and still on about £10 credit, they owe me money!

If it wasnt for the oh so expensive BT landline everyone would be so better off.

im with telewest, and NTL last week bought telewest making it the only cable company in the uk now.

ive been with them 5 years and they have had the fastest best priced service for the home in the uk, had 2mb when people were just starting to get 512k elsewhere.They also just couple weeks ago sent us all out letters saying we will all recieve a speed upgrade before xmas at no extra cost.Im hoping now this offer still stands since theve been taking over.The upgrade is supposed to be to 4mb and 8mb.

Edited by homeless

im with telewest, and NTL last week bought telewest making it the only cable company in the uk now.

ive been with them 5 years and they have had the fastest best priced service for the home in the uk, had 2mb when people were just starting to get 512k elsewhere.They also just couple weeks ago sent us all out letters saying we will all recieve a speed upgrade before xmas at no extra cost.Im hoping now this offer still stands since theve been taking over.The upgrade is supposed to be to 4mb and 8mb.

Well, NTL want to upgrade people to 10Mb in 2006 so you should be even better off!

Biggest rip-off in 'Rip-off UK': paying BT £11 line-rental every month just so I can broadband. In the USA and Sweden (where I have lived) broadband is cheaper AND you don't have to pay this 'line rental' charge. BT must be raking it in up and down the country for doing next to nothing...

Guest Bart of Darkness
as was dial-a-disc for the latest pop-record

Ah, happy memories. I used to ring the "Bedtime Story" line as well (was it Johnny Morris on that?)

As a Telewest customer who is dumping their TV stuff anyway, hopefully I shouldn't see much difference in service or cost (Telewest, in my experience at least, have been pretty good).

NTL and Telewest have almost seemed like the same company in their advertising and packages for a while now.