House Price Crash Forum
Hopeful FTB

Estate Agent Scum!

Just saw this in the local property mag in Brighton from one of the EA's down here:

"Due to the best august and september since we opened in 2001, we now urgently require your property. Please call now for a free market appraisal"

I have never seen so much property on the market as there is at the moment and a lot of it has been there for a long time!

Unbelievable!

Just saw this in the local property mag in Brighton from one of the EA's down here:

"Due to the best august and september since we opened in 2001, we now urgently require your property. Please call now for a free market appraisal"

I have never seen so much property on the market as there is at the moment and a lot of it has been there for a long time!

Unbelievable!

I know, I've seen it in my local rag too on occassion, right next to the 'reduced/priced to sell' bit. We don't need to analyse what they're trying to do (as we both know). But as mentioned by a lot of people on this forum, some agents are now being realistic about HP and the economy and simply want the HPC over and done with as quickly as possible, so they have a fighting chance of surviving it. This can only be done by talking down the market. Those insistant on still talking it up are simple prolonging the process and therefore risk bankrupcy. Just think if they get all those properties on their books, they also have to pay to advertise them. This money spent on marketing is completely wasted if there is little hope of selling anything.

LG

Good times, bad times, hard times, impossible times - the only thing an Estate Agent needs and wants is more instructions. If you have a couple of hundred houses on your books you can't sell - what is the answer?

The answer is take more properties on. Maybe you'll get the odd one to sell. Its a numbers game now. Noticed some of the local EAs are cutting back on advertising. Property paper is not as thick as it was.

I got a flyer through the door not long ago - on the front in big red letters:

TOUGH MARKET?

TOUGH AGENT!

Thought to myself, hmm, maybe they're offering to beat the buyers into submission and force them to sign on the dotted line....very nearly made a few copies for distribution to the EA's around town....

TOUGH MARKET?

TOUGH LUCK...

Good times, bad times, hard times, impossible times - the only thing an Estate Agent needs and wants is more instructions. If you have a couple of hundred houses on your books you can't sell - what is the answer?

The answer is take more properties on. Maybe you'll get the odd one to sell. Its a numbers game now. Noticed some of the local EAs are cutting back on advertising. Property paper is not as thick as it was.

One day, a few years ago now, someone in the office had brought in a property rag. Another Guy grabed it so he could show us the house he was selling (been on market for 2 months). He got the his Estate agents page and guess what...

It was nowhere to be seen

He was so angry he went to the effort of getting back issues of the paper (yes really). It transpired they hadn't been advertising it for about 6 weeks (or in other words, they had only advertised it for 2 weeks).

Not supprisingly, he moved to another agent straight away.

One day, a few years ago now, someone in the office had brought in a property rag. Another Guy grabed it so he could show us the house he was selling (been on market for 2 months). He got the his Estate agents page and guess what...

It was nowhere to be seen

He was so angry he went to the effort of getting back issues of the paper (yes really). It transpired they hadn't been advertising it for about 6 weeks (or in other words, they had only advertised it for 2 weeks).

Not supprisingly, he moved to another agent straight away.

I just nearly lost my rag with an EA after enquiring on one of his overpriced properties. He asked my status which is STR and then promptly asked me whether I was bored with renting as it is money down the drain afterall. Rather than go into an outbusrst I cooly said the money id made from HPI over the last 7 years was earning enopugh monthly interest to pay my rent so what did he think was exactly "going down the drain". Then he promptly showed me 2 properties that hadnt been moving and said both owners would take a sizeable offer- idiot!!!!

Seeing as prices fell 2% in Brighton in September, and the Argus now say that Brighton is the worst perfoming city in the country w.r.t. property every time it talks about property, I don't think EA ******** will make any difference.

Guest The_Oldie

I just nearly lost my rag with an EA after enquiring on one of his overpriced properties. He asked my status which is STR and then promptly asked me whether I was bored with renting as it is money down the drain afterall. Rather than go into an outbusrst I cooly said the money id made from HPI over the last 7 years was earning enopugh monthly interest to pay my rent so what did he think was exactly "going down the drain". Then he promptly showed me 2 properties that hadnt been moving and said both owners would take a sizeable offer- idiot!!!!

I just tell them that I'm a cash buyer. Nothing to sell, no mortgage required. Anything more than that is none of their business and if they push, I just change the subject. There must be an EA school where they all learn their infuriating little jibes.

TOUGH MARKET?

TOUGH AGENT!

:lol: Oh those hilarious estate agents...! I can see now why they're renowned for their wit... :rolleyes:

On 12/10/2005 at 1:02 PM, FreeFall said:

TOUGH MARKET?

TOUGH AGENT!

Thought to myself, hmm, maybe they're offering to beat the buyers into submission and force them to sign on the dotted line....very nearly made a few copies for distribution to the EA's around town....

TOUGH MARKET?

TOUGH LUCK...

Tough MMR.

Whsts he selling? Ability to reduce sellers price?

15 minutes ago, darwin said:

Shows how desperate they are.

I think a lot of EAs have realised from the growth of the lettings business that by charging the LL commission and the tenant fees, they're able to make money from both sides of the deal, so they're now attempting to apply that same model to sales.

Problem is, they lose sight then of who they're actually working for, and everyone ends up thinking they're *****.

So yes, desperate, short-sighted, and ultimately self-defeating. But I've never yet met an EA with brains enough to see past next Tuesday, so hardly surprising.

4 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

I think a lot of EAs have realised from the growth of the lettings business that by charging the LL commission and the tenant fees, they're able to make money from both sides of the deal, so they're now attempting to apply that same model to sales.

Problem is, they lose sight then of who they're actually working for, and everyone ends up thinking they're *****.

So yes, desperate, short-sighted, and ultimately self-defeating. But I've never yet met an EA with brains enough to see past next Tuesday, so hardly surprising.

I think we got to that stage many, many years ago.....

1 hour ago, juvenal said:

I think we got to that stage many, many years ago.....

Well true, but the vendor side of the equation still felt that the agent was working on their behalf. Now they're going to be thinking that if the EA was able to stiff the buyer for a grand on fees, that's another grand they could have had in their pocket. So people who used to tolerate them will be less inclined to now.

Obvious solution to EA who attempt to charge fees too buyers if vendor is resident is talk to vendor direct and make an offer direct to vendor that is conditional they deal with you direct [not through EA]. Be freindly and helpful to vendor but difficult and stubborn on subject of EA. Talk about the EA as if you're talking about something smelly you trod in and as if it's obvious the vendor will have the same view.

This is what would happen in many EU countries, folk in UK are too timid and polite for their own good.

7 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

But I've never yet met an EA with brains enough to see past next Tuesday, so hardly surprising.

I don't know, I viewed one house about a year ago and said to the EA "this house is £50k overpriced", and he agreed. I said "at the end of the day, the vendor overpaid by that much and is looking for a greater fool to offload onto so he doesn't have to take the loss". And he agreed.

I guess he clocked I wasn't that fool and decided (quite quickly) that keeping up the pretence that it was value for money was counterproductive if he were to have a chance of selling anything else to me.

In my experience, I'd say 9 out of 10 arent clever, and 5 out of 10 actually believe their own ********.

7 minutes ago, Digsby said:

I don't know, I viewed one house about a year ago and said to the EA "this house is £50k overpriced", and he agreed. I said "at the end of the day, the vendor overpaid by that much and is looking for a greater fool to offload onto so he doesn't have to take the loss". And he agreed.

I guess he clocked I wasn't that fool and decided (quite quickly) that keeping up the pretence that it was value for money was counterproductive if he were to have a chance of selling anything else to me.

In my experience, I'd say 9 out of 10 arent clever, and 5 out of 10 actually believe their own ********.

One of these days I hope to meet a clever one myself. Then I'm going to pickle him in formaldehyde and keep him in a jar as a rare specimen. Or I might just set fire to his trousers, for being an EA ;)

5 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

One of these days I hope to meet a clever one myself. Then I'm going to pickle him in formaldehyde and keep him in a jar as a rare specimen. Or I might just set fire to his trousers, for being an EA ;)

Pickling sounds better ?

Maybe I have a small sample size.

One guy thought it was a good sales tactic to carry around a clipboard with a page of all the viewings he had to do that day, and show it to me to demonstrate how massive demand for property was.

It had about 25 viewings on it, so I said "how many sales does that make - one, or two?". I shit you not. I guess all of us here are an EAs worst nightmare.

If the business has dried up for EAs, then surely the correct strategy for them is to start to encourage people to be more realistic on pricing so they can make some sales rather than face redundany. 

2 minutes ago, Digsby said:

Pickling sounds better ?

Maybe I have a small sample size.

One guy thought it was a good sales tactic to carry around a clipboard with a page of all the viewings he had to do that day, and show it to me to demonstrate how massive demand for property was.

It had about 25 viewings on it, so I said "how many sales does that make - one, or two?". I shit you not. I guess all of us here are an EAs worst nightmare.

Lol, I will confess to having been an utter dick to EAs on many occasions in the past. Completely self-defeating and entirely pointless, but there's something deeply satisfying about it anyway. I don't even bother viewing any more, much to the relief of Mrs. FD.

What does a real estate agent use for birth control?
Personality.

I met an estate agent who didn’t know the abbreviation for ‘apartment’. I thought, “that’s apt”.

Two mates wandering round a graveyard when one stops and reads the words on a gravestone.
Here lies an estate agent and an honest man.
Crikey he says to his mate - they buried two people in the same grave!