House Price Crash Forum

Nokia Siemens To Cut 17,000 Job

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

In the mobile sphere Nokia's Windows Phone strategy is the kiss of death. Why are CEOs paid big money to make decisions again? Windows Phone has been a flop through every version so far and WP7 reviews are mixed - even the 'good' reviews often hint at the fact you'll likely prefer iPhone or Spamdroid.

Meanwhile, a phonegeek friend showed my the Meego based N9. From a few minutes playtime it was like a 'tidier Android' and the 'swipe' gesture to navigate should have been in the iPhone from day 1. It's almost as if Nokia knew they'd made a booboo as the N9 is grey-import only so people don't compare it to WP7.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA444

In the mobile sphere Nokia's Windows Phone strategy is the kiss of death. Why are CEOs paid big money to make decisions again? Windows Phone has been a flop through every version so far and WP7 reviews are mixed - even the 'good' reviews often hint at the fact you'll likely prefer iPhone or Spamdroid.

Meanwhile, a phonegeek friend showed my the Meego based N9. From a few minutes playtime it was like a 'tidier Android' and the 'swipe' gesture to navigate should have been in the iPhone from day 1. It's almost as if Nokia knew they'd made a booboo as the N9 is grey-import only so people don't compare it to WP7.

Nokia and Nokia-Siemens are different companies. Nokia-Siemens makes telecoms infrastructure equipment.

Edited by callaght

HOLA445

I don't see this as being a Nokia WP7 issue but rather the Nokia Siemens network kit being got rid of.

Nokia-Siemens was big in the Middle and Far East but Huawei has made huge strides there - wish I had taken that job that I got offered earlier this year. But I have fears that working for Huawei might make you a target for the CIA - I think their kit is still banned for US companies?

HOLA446

No, Meego is the same as (m)any other 'open' Linux-based OS - i.e. it looks ok on the surface but dig deeper into how well it is supported, what it's like to develop for, what the update cycle is like etc. and it's clear it's not a consumer-grade OS. Motivated hacker/techy geek yes, but consumer no.

To imagine a Meego handset, imagine an Android phone with no app store - it's virtually pointless. Yes it can make calls but then so can Nokia's older operating systems and they run on much cheaper hardware.

Anyway, Nokia Siemens Networks is not the handset part of Nokia (the clue is in the name). It is the network hardware (3G towers and stuff) and was barely breaking even over the last few years despite a turnover in the billions.

I wouldn't write WP7 off just yet either. Once you get past the 'M$' prejudice it's actually ok.

HOLA447

Oops, 'doh' on the fact this is a different division.

Wasn't saying Meego was a finished product or an iPhone/Android killer but still a punt on that looked more worthwhile than Windows. Of course, the real mistake was not responding to the iPhone properly four years ago. If they'd followed up the n900 quickly with a range of smartphones based on that model, even if a little rough and ready at first, their fairly devoted fan base could have seen them retain a position as an independent player.

HOLA448

I don't see this as being a Nokia WP7 issue but rather the Nokia Siemens network kit being got rid of.

Nokia-Siemens was big in the Middle and Far East but Huawei has made huge strides there - wish I had taken that job that I got offered earlier this year. But I have fears that working for Huawei might make you a target for the CIA - I think their kit is still banned for US companies?

24,000 posts on Hpc ?

you're already on their list

:P:unsure:

HOLA449

I wish I understood this post.

Oh hang on. No I don't.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I haven't actually seen a nokia phone since secondary school. I thought they decided to run the company into the ground by selling things no one wants to buy, good on them for employing 17000 people to do it. I can just imagine the crappy phones we'd have if apple never did the iPhone and then others copied, I'd be tapping this post on a crashing screen with a stylus and a 20 minute battery life most probably. I wish apple would now move into televisions, the current tv manufacturers especially sony are some of the laziest companies ever. I have a 2011 panasonic plasma with a remote that wouldn't look out of place in 1988 lol.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

In the mobile sphere Nokia's Windows Phone strategy is the kiss of death.

A very "brave" decision as Sir Humphrey Appleby would have described it.

Nokia and Nokia-Siemens are different companies. Nokia-Siemens makes telecoms infrastructure equipment.

The loss-making venture, owned by Finland's Nokia and Germany's Siemens

HOLA4414

A very "brave" decision as Sir Humphrey Appleby would have described it.

Bit of a Hobson's choice in the end.

Android:

- Forced to compete with cheap clones from bargain-basement manufacturers.

- Brand controlled by Google / phone companies.

- Development controlled by Google (it is *not* open-source if you're making a device, Google works in the dark with one or two preferred companies until it is ready)

- Google control the app store, where there is very little margin anyway.

- IP issues: most companies are paying a license to MS anyway for whatever patents they have that cover stuff in Android.

Meego (or buying PalmOS or some other Nokia-only solution)

- Nokia have already proven they can't do 'platforms' (device, apps, cloud-based stuff) with Symbian why throw more good money after bad?

- Have to compete with iOS, Android, Windows Phone and to some extent Amazon (Kindle). Crowded marketplace!

- Market share is crashing so they need something now, not in a couple of years.

iOS:

- Never going to happen!

Windows Phone:

- Nokia can put some of their own stamp on it.

- MS need Nokia as much as Nokia need MS so better terms.

- 3rd biggest app store + business functions + XBox live features.

It would have been 'braver' to continue with Symbian and try to get Meego up to scratch (it was a long, long way off).

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The BBC are reporting:

Nokia Siemens to cut 17,000 job

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15858081

They are showing a lot of spunk making such big cuts.

They are making lots of cuts having bought Motorola Networks Division and have said in the past that delays in the purchase killed Motorola's WiMAX and LTE business.

I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth!

Edited by RapMan

HOLA4417

Very true.

I looked into getting an N9 as it looks fantastic. Don't see what all the hype about the Lumia is. Needless to say the thing isn't selling well:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2127253/nokia-lumia-800-sales-forecast-chopped

Any markets Windows enters in (apart from PC Software) seems to end in disaster.

Nokia should have gone the Android route or Meego route.