House Price Crash Forum

Why Are So Many Britons Quitting Australia?

Fancypants

HOLA441

Speaking as a recent (14 months ago) ex-pat from the UK, I feel qualified to answer this.

I see broadly three types of British here;

Backpackers here for a good time not a long time.

People making a move understanding that their quality of life will be changed but not necessarily improved or declined.

People making a move that they think will dramatically improve their quality of life.

The last category are the ones who kick it in and go back.

Possibly, but I think the story's more simple. Although there do seem to be some people who move down here having never even been to the place (that program is testament to that fact), most people know what they're getting in to. I've been down here 10 years, on and off, and the single biggest driver home by a country mile is having kids. About half the people I know who've had kids have left, mostly driven by the Mum wanting to be near family (her Mum). The family thing in general creeps up on you after a few years as well. Mostly I think this is a non-story anyway as I believe the return rate has always been about what it is now.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

A few reasons why Australia is better:-

1. Better Weather

2. Better Environment (Cleaner Steets)

3. Better Economy

4. Better Immigration Policy

A few reasons why England is better:-

1. Greyier Skies

2. More crap on the streets

3. Poor economic prospects

[*]No Immigration Policy

:lol:

Never a truer word spoken.

HOLA443
HOLA444

they are a bit sunk as the cost of living (everything is imported) rockets.

I fail to see how the UK is different then? Probbaly worse since UK only produces 60% of the food it consumes whilst Aus is a net food exporter.Anyway the massive cost of living increase here is due to the insane HPI we have had here over the past decade , food prices have easily tripled over the past decade , just like house prices.Efficiency has not increased at anywhere near that level hence price rises.

HOLA445

because once your out of the tiny city centres, suburban life is miserable. its rife with smack heads and alcoholics. the cost of living is insane and all they do is squabble like drunks. its hard as hell to get a job and most people sit on their drunk asses all day.

if it were so good why would there be a heroin problem in paradise.

i went in april and was totally shocked by the suburbs and general nationalism.

they even dont like the english very much. if your black or dark skinned you get called a wog openly.

i didnt like it and i didnt much care for australians. they are in their own tiny little world.

now china has halted iron ore exports they are a bit sunk as the cost of living (everything is imported) rockets. i once thought about retiring there, but i would prefer to live in the uk or spain. in the end you get bored of the lack of culture and the sea and the cost of living.its not what they say.

also:

when you consider its only 200 years old the first waves of deportees were people of anti social and petty minded people. people who we would regard now as mentally ill. there is a higher than normal % of mental illness thre and this i think is directly because of that early gene pool. there was high immigration later in the 50s, but being there you can tell the fundamental basis of that country is based on people sent their who have challenging behavior.

also, its boom days are over when it could simply raise money by selling minerals to china. thats about all they export other than marmite. their currency is beginning to fail also. all the usual cobber types i was expecting to find are all pushed out into the far suburbs.

heres two vids to express the real australia.

I lived in Australia in the mid-90's and I was going out with an Australian born girl

whose parents were South Korean , I had people come up to me in front of her saying I can't

believe you are going out with a Gook!! And this was in the suburbs of Sydney.

Still wish I'd brought property over there then , a mate of mine did in the hills near Melbourne

and has trebled his money.

Melbourne and Sydney city centres are cool places to live if you can afford it , the rest of it,

forget it.

HOLA446

I fail to see how the UK is different then? Probbaly worse since UK only produces 60% of the food it consumes whilst Aus is a net food exporter.Anyway the massive cost of living increase here is due to the insane HPI we have had here over the past decade , food prices have easily tripled over the past decade , just like house prices.Efficiency has not increased at anywhere near that level hence price rises.

I think these numbers can be misleading. Just because a country exports more food than it imports does not mean that it could be self sufficient or is necessarily better off than another country with a lower % IMO.

It may export massive amounts of a few things and nothing else. Iceland being a good example. I imagine they could be net exporters of 'food' too.

However I would not fancy living there if we all had to feed ourselves - without imports.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Their beef is cheap though! Or so my Brotehr who moved there 3 eyars ago tells me.

About half the price, but beer is twice as much. All goes around really, food all in cost me about the same out there as it does here, you just change what you have more or less of. Pretty much gave up drinking when out there and haven't bothered with a steak since getting back to the UK in February. I know which I prefer :)

HOLA449

About half the price, but beer is twice as much. All goes around really, food all in cost me about the same out there as it does here, you just change what you have more or less of. Pretty much gave up drinking when out there and haven't bothered with a steak since getting back to the UK in February. I know which I prefer :)

A big driver for me, i love pub life, i like a pint whenever and as many as i want.......I can have seven a night here in the UK, at a cost of roughly £130.00 per week, in Oz the same habit would cost me $500.00, about £330.00 at todays exchange rate.......

HOLA4410

A big driver for me, i love pub life, i like a pint whenever and as many as i want.......I can have seven a night here in the UK, at a cost of roughly £130.00 per week, in Oz the same habit would cost me $500.00, about £330.00 at todays exchange rate.......

Beer is cheap here both supermarket and down the pub. Given the shite exchange rate beer here(Birmingham) is not much more expensive than in Thailand on a like for like basis.

HOLA4411

I lived in Australia in the mid-90's and I was going out with an Australian born girl

whose parents were South Korean , I had people come up to me in front of her saying I can't

From this thread it seems a decent proportion of brits emigrating there will take this as a positive....

:blink:

HOLA4412

Beer is cheap here both supermarket and down the pub. Given the shite exchange rate beer here(Birmingham) is not much more expensive than in Thailand on a like for like basis.

Yep have to agree, in Brum i think there are four Wetherspoons, i know a tad lacking in atomousphere, but well make the pubs in Oz, seem like a place of worship, so you can guess what the average Ozzy pub seems like, the only thing missing is the hymns on the dukebox.......But on a Monday night, £2 for a guiness, normal price what £2.80...I had a pint of Guiness two years ago in The Pig and Whistle in Brisbane, and a couple in Waxy's in Surfers Paradise, $12 bucks a pop, do your sums at £1 to $1.5, also the average wage at a guess is $24.00 an hour before tax. So if our UK average wage is say £13.50 an hour, like for like Guiness would cost £6.75 a pint here....

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/132331-looking-forward-leaving-perth-australia.html

I understand how you feel. I have been here for too long because of family commitments and it is destroying my health. I have nothing nice to say about Australia. The people here are disgusting, rude, hostile, xenophobic. It calls itself the lucky country and gives off this white australia immigration PR image of beaches and laid back lifestyles but is bordering on fascist. I cant wait to get back to the UK for good. It is like being stuck in prison. Perth is beyond ugly. I cycle down the street in what is meant to be the groovy cosmopolitan arty Fremantle and rednecks yell abuse at me for not wearing a helmet... People look broken, deformed, like they have totally given up on the way they look, literally shuffling along the boring pavements like they are on psychiatric drugs, massively over-weight, wearing ill fitting clothes, bashing into each other like zombies and stumbling on without apology. Go into a shop an the same zombie feel - it is like people are moving in slow motion, dazed, out to lunch. Look a bit lively and they give you a nasty look or even start abusing you. It is freaky! The state newspaper is full of massive adverts for cars and roasted chickens. Even the 'elite' here are rednecks. I was at a party with a local judge and she said that a newspaper called 'the western suburbs' was fantastic... yes, that is right a newspaper for the suburbs with local gossip, real estate.. aarrhghghgh. I am counting down the days until I leave. People say here 'ooo another day in paradise'... my god... the weather is disgustingly hot, the building are not built for heat or cold, the architecture is very ugly, everything becomes burnt and dry as soon as a bit of violent summer sun blasts everything to death, it is flat, beyond boring, nasty, gossipy, and the people here are so bored and so in denial about the place they turn on each other. think lord of the flies or no exit.. a bunch of zombies in a small red neck town in the worlds most isolated place.. massive desert on one side and ocean on the other. I loath it!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/132331-looking-forward-leaving-perth-australia.html

I understand how you feel. I have been here for too long because of family commitments and it is destroying my health. I have nothing nice to say about Australia. The people here are disgusting, rude, hostile, xenophobic. It calls itself the lucky country and gives off this white australia immigration PR image of beaches and laid back lifestyles but is bordering on fascist. I cant wait to get back to the UK for good. It is like being stuck in prison. Perth is beyond ugly. I cycle down the street in what is meant to be the groovy cosmopolitan arty Fremantle and rednecks yell abuse at me for not wearing a helmet... People look broken, deformed, like they have totally given up on the way they look, literally shuffling along the boring pavements like they are on psychiatric drugs, massively over-weight, wearing ill fitting clothes, bashing into each other like zombies and stumbling on without apology. Go into a shop an the same zombie feel - it is like people are moving in slow motion, dazed, out to lunch. Look a bit lively and they give you a nasty look or even start abusing you. It is freaky! The state newspaper is full of massive adverts for cars and roasted chickens. Even the 'elite' here are rednecks. I was at a party with a local judge and she said that a newspaper called 'the western suburbs' was fantastic... yes, that is right a newspaper for the suburbs with local gossip, real estate.. aarrhghghgh. I am counting down the days until I leave. People say here 'ooo another day in paradise'... my god... the weather is disgustingly hot, the building are not built for heat or cold, the architecture is very ugly, everything becomes burnt and dry as soon as a bit of violent summer sun blasts everything to death, it is flat, beyond boring, nasty, gossipy, and the people here are so bored and so in denial about the place they turn on each other. think lord of the flies or no exit.. a bunch of zombies in a small red neck town in the worlds most isolated place.. massive desert on one side and ocean on the other. I loath it!

Wow...

I'm pretty sure a rant like this says a lot more about the ranter than whatever they are ranting about

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

And it always looks so nice in those holiday programs on the telly.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4420

wow. i couldnt have described it better myself.

"People look broken, deformed, like they have totally given up on the way they look, literally shuffling along the boring pavements like they are on psychiatric drugs, massively over-weight, wearing ill fitting clothes, bashing into each other like zombies and stumbling on without apology. Go into a shop an the same zombie feel - it is like people are moving in slow motion, dazed, out to lunch. Look a bit lively and they give you a nasty look or even start abusing you. It is freaky! The state newspaper is full of massive adverts for cars and roasted chickens."

that made me laugh out loud cos its so accurate and succinct.

aussie aussie aussie heil heil heil !!!

when we flew back from sydney we had to land due to a medical emergency. the guy i think died the rumor was. anyway, we waited to refuled at adelade for 6 hours etc, but when the paramedics first came on the plane and took the guy off, the aussies cheered and whooped and clapped like he was a drunk from an easy jet charter. it was so disrespectful.

Edited by right_freds_dead

HOLA4421

Just a few words on the posts about "culture". Culture is everywhere. To say that Australia lacks it is a poor excuse for not staying there. You can trawl the streets of Colchester, or London, or Oxford, and if you are determined not to find "culture" you won't see it.

Aussie has priced itself out of housing, just as the UK has done. Thousands of Brits emigrated there between 2003 and 2007 having made an enormous tax free profit on their sold houses before they went. But now Australian housing is ludicrously expensive and there HAS to be a major property crash sometime soon. It's just a matter of time, just like it is here.

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA4422

http://www.pomsinoz....-australia.html

Sounds like Dundee

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I lived there for work and I came back because.......

They don't like the English (and I don't like you Aussies - and we are better at Cricket)

Its a million miles from anywhere

No humour except slapstick

Chocolate tastes funny

Cockroaches

No culture

The shops are rubbish

The TV is just terrible - at least we consign TV shows about angling to ITV4.

They all have a chip on their shoulder

They are very pompous - in restraunts I asked for bread and made sandwiches out of their haute cuisine just to wind them up.

On the flip side the food and beer are not bad and most of the local men are so utterly rude, souless, crass and chavenist that, if you are English and thus have some basic manners and conversation getting girlfriends appears to involve no more effort than walking out the door and being polite. I speak from first hand experience - and I am not a looker.

HOLA4425

The grass is always greener.

THE END.

Sometimes it really is though.

Still wish I'd brought property over there then , a mate of mine did in the hills near Melbourne

and has trebled his money.

Melbourne and Sydney city centres are cool places to live if you can afford it , the rest of it,

forget it.

Wow, that's pretty in-yer-face aggressive. How did they expect to develop that ice-breaker?