House Price Crash Forum

Austrian Banks

yassen_khan

Have some saving in a Spanish bank account and keen to move them somewhere else. The situation isn't''t looking at all promising in that savers could easily have their accounts blocked and end up loosing their lsavings as happened when Argentina defaulted on its debts. A friend of mine suggested opening an account in Bank Austria (a unicredit group) as it will be safer. Does anyone have any thought on this?

Have some saving in a Spanish bank account and keen to move them somewhere else. The situation isn't''t looking at all promising in that savers could easily have their accounts blocked and end up loosing their lsavings as happened when Argentina defaulted on its debts. A friend of mine suggested opening an account in Bank Austria (a unicredit group) as it will be safer. Does anyone have any thought on this?

unicredit? are you bonkers?

Depending on how much it is - it may be prudent to keep some as cash on hand. Wherever you move it to you should check the rules on compensation should it go t!ts up. You may have to wait some time too, to get it back.

unicredit? are you bonkers?

Depending on how much it is - it may be prudent to keep some as cash on hand. Wherever you move it to you should check the rules on compensation should it go t!ts up. You may have to wait some time too, to get it back.

Thanks SaintJay for your thoughts, might try another bank then.

Article here.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2c35bb1e-1469-11e1-85c7-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1eGt4GAvT

google

Austrian banks told to limit lending to east

One of those three banks is a subsidiary of unicredit.

Thanks a lot Euro for the article but I am not subscribed to FT. I will look for the article somewhere else.

So is there any Austrian bank that is safer?

Somone gave me the followings names but need to find out more about them.

ErsteBank, Raiffeisen, Bawag and Volksbank but don't know anything about them but I am told the Austrian gov guarentees up to 100K deposits!

I have chosen an Austrian because it will be easier for me to open an account with them.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.