House Price Crash Forum

Where Is This All Heading?

BecksMyCat

HOLA441

I haven't visited the forum here for quite a while now, but with things appearing to be coming to a head, I thought I would look to see what is being discussed.

As I am very behind with opinions on the forum I wondered where HPCers think all this is heading. My somewhat uninformed thoughts are that countries and consequently banks are about to go bust (not just in the euro area), which is going to lead to a lot of money printing and a lot of inflation.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I wondered where HPCers think all this is heading

Nowhere we would willingly choose to go.

The ongoing crisis (4 years and counting) has been marked by a spectacular lack of success by the "Powers That Be" to do anything to address the underlying issues that caused the crisis in the first place. Or indeed anything useful at all.

You can bet that this trend of incompetence/fudging/papering over the cracks will continue until the system breaks down completely.

The controls have been set for the heart of the sun and locked off. You might as well enjoy the ride.

HOLA445

I agree with Bart.. in the wake of the crisis in 2008 Western leaders had an opportunity to make fundamental reforms to address serious issues that had arisen. They either didn't understand the issues, or our political systems are simply not capable right now of serious reforms.. so basically all we got was what you said, printing money to fill in holes as they emerge.

One thing I am impressed with on HPC forum is how many people recognized that this wasn't just an ordinary recession way back in 2008. If this was a typical recession it would have been about 8 months of negative growth as businesses cut back, then once back to growth a few more months to reach the old highs.. then 2 years of strong growth.

Instead we've had a horrific fall, and then skimming along the bottom in and out of recession.

HOLA446

One thing I am impressed with on HPC forum is how many people recognized that this wasn't just an ordinary recession way back in 2008. If this was a typical recession it would have been about 8 months of negative growth as businesses cut back, then once back to growth a few more months to reach the old highs.. then 2 years of strong growth.

Instead we've had a horrific fall, and then skimming along the bottom in and out of recession.

HPC recognised that this wasn't going to be an ordinary recession back in 2004. I really should buy a few of the old posters a beer, as they made me the better part of £100,000.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

That's what I'd say. Unfortunately for the UK the Eurozone crisis is out of its control, and it will affect us big-time... so now they can't quite stop prices from crashing as they'd like to. Inflation, though.... my savings will be worthless.

You'll have to bear with me as I never studied economics, but as someone who certainly hasn't benefited from the house price debacle over the last 10 years, I've been lurking on this forum over the last year and have learnt a little as I've gone along. So guitarman (tend to agree with many of your posts by the way), you reckon that when house prices crash, our deposits we've been holding onto will decrease in value due to inflation. So who will then be able to buy the much cheaper properties? Those who are able to buy with cash outright?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I haven't visited the forum here for quite a while now, but with things appearing to be coming to a head, I thought I would look to see what is being discussed.

As I am very behind with opinions on the forum I wondered where HPCers think all this is heading. My somewhat uninformed thoughts are that countries and consequently banks are about to go bust (not just in the euro area), which is going to lead to a lot of money printing and a lot of inflation.

Obviously hyper inflation wants watching in the medium term, but in the short term we seem to be heading the other way. MOM inflation ground to a halt in October and forward asset indicators such as rightmove asking prices (which suffered a cataclysmic meltdown this month) point to short term deflation in retail inflation as confidence collapses. The annual inflation figures are clearly backward looking for now, and Merv is desperate to print just to keep it at an annualised 1.3% two years out (BOE forecast, and they have got to be right some time surely otherwise we may as well get the PG tips chimps to take over).

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417