House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I was talking to the owner of a local pound shop when a young girl came in asking for a job – she was so nervous and to tell her no job was available hurt, we both congratulated her on her efforts and wished her the best.

He went on to explain to me business was bad, profits very low, cause week pound – selling Chinese made goods.

Today the pound shop was not open; its shelves empty – the bailiffs were due today. He must have been very busy last night.

Travelling first class on the train is getting cheaper (or standard getting more expensive or both). There was only a tenner difference last time I travelled from Yorkshire to London. As much tea and biscuits as you can consume and a copy of the Sunday Times. Plus the really obnoxious mobile users seem to be conspicuous by their absence - it is like how you expect a quiet coach to actually be. Highly recommended.

I rarely travel first class - but I may do more often now.

I travelled first class the other day for free, hopped on the train and saw people standing, saw an empty carriage, sat down and enjoyed the journey, I even had legroom! Didn't get asked for a ticket neither. Bliss.

From our local rag, this spun as a JOBS BOOM story:

Worthing debt firm takes on 20 new staff
Debt collectors are being hired because so many people have run up debts they cannot repay.
Business is booming
[woohoo! we're all saved] at Worthing-based debt collection company BCW Group, meaning the firm is planning to hire 20 new staff.
The credit management company has already doubled the size of its office at Ridgeworth House in Worthing this year and in July announced plans to recruit an extra 100 staff over the next 12 months.

...and on that note I'm off out for a few.

But....just the other week he was regaling after a long interlude, in a not too surprised way, at seeing a number of long present ladies on the website he uses now dumping the previous spiel they had written invariably indicating they had very high financial 'expectations' of any prospective partner (either unashamedly 'directly' or 'indirectly' via expecttions of holidays, dining out, cars, etc) - and have now lowered the bar 'considerably'.

Perhaps, just like house asking prices, these ladies had either, (i) come to their senses and come to realise how they must have been appearing to others, and/or (ii) presumably not getting the sort of serious 'long term' responses/success they may have been hoping for?

Bottom line, from what I have had to listen to over the many months, is that female users of such websites invariably start off believing they are going quickly bag themselves a George Clooney clone (or other such Hollywood hearthrob of their own personal taste) - and that only after X number of months do they come down to Earth.

Can some programmers create a "Dating Property Bee"? Would be quite amusing.

CAB advisers getting pissed off with their clients. I know a few who are very reliable, very bolshy against the banks, but even they have had it up to here with people expecting to get off easy with credit pissed away on holidays and tat.

CAB no longer advising people to go for token payments on debt management plans, but to take the IVA/bankruptcy route instead.

Rent arrears for housing associations going through the roof. Debt relief orders as well.

CAB advisers getting pissed off with their clients. I know a few who are very reliable, very bolshy against the banks, but even they have had it up to here with people expecting to get off easy with credit pissed away on holidays and tat.

CAB no longer advising people to go for token payments on debt management plans, but to take the IVA/bankruptcy route instead.

Rent arrears for housing associations going through the roof. Debt relief orders as well.

That is interesting. I am sure housing associations are a disaster waiting to happen. The subsidies probably cover up what a disastrous allocation of capital they represent.

Banks must be taking a huge bath on their loans, which could get a lot worse very soon. There must be huge numbers of mortgages that will default at interest rates of 8% or so.

I ordered some Christmas gifts from Amazon recently. Completed transaction about mid-morning & chose the free delivery option. They all arrived the next morning and not all in the same package. I'm thinking they've taken on extra staff for the Xmas period & haven't got the workload for them. Or they're extremely quiet without the extra staff.

In the past 6 months I have noticed an increase in ladies on dating sites offering, ahem, services or in their profiles pointing out that they like to pampered or spoilt or bought gifts or are seeking generous dates.

Quite sad actually.

Just looked at a profile which reminded me of your post to a 'T' :lol: Had to post it :lol:

http://www.pof.com/member28475167.htm

Do you think if someone wrote back with 'sorry the boat has been repossessed but how about you wear your bikini in my cardboard box' would work the same? :lol:

Edited by mason

I ordered some Christmas gifts from Amazon recently. Completed transaction about mid-morning & chose the free delivery option. They all arrived the next morning and not all in the same package. I'm thinking they've taken on extra staff for the Xmas period & haven't got the workload for them. Or they're extremely quiet without the extra staff.

Can't read too much into this as depends on what's been purchased,

Generally orders aren't shipped as customers buy but held and sorted for the most efficient packing. Fastmoving lines will be segregated and already packed ready to ship so it's just a case of slapping a label on a box. Although, Amazon are, despite their size, actually one of the most backwards logistically.

Not sure that that's Xmas-specific. I virtually always go for the free delivery from Amazon & 90+% of the time the stuff arrives in a couple of days at most.

My bank has just been refurbished. Nice too, real nice. Come to think of it, a number of banks in my area have recently had a nice refurb. New interiors, plush new offices, new roof, new desks, new floors, hot new desk clerks. Sadly, all other shops and businesses in the area seem to have missed out on the most frugal of scraps from the table. But the banks are starting to look real fancy. One gets the feeling they are so plush they might even be holding back for fear of appearing too plush. A number of sinner supremists are living the dream right now. Of course dreams often come to an abrupt end, that's my 2 cents worth.

My bank has just been refurbished. Nice too, real nice. Come to think of it, a number of banks in my area have recently had a nice refurb. New interiors, plush new offices, new roof, new desks, new floors, hot new desk clerks. Sadly, all other shops and businesses in the area seem to have missed out on the most frugal of scraps from the table. But the banks are starting to look real fancy. One gets the feeling they are so plush they might even be holding back for fear of appearing too plush. A number of sinner supremists are living the dream right now. Of course dreams often come to an abrupt end, that's my 2 cents worth.

I like the sound of those 'hot new desk clerks'. Are you sure it's not a misprint for 'new hot-desk clerks'?

They have always done this.

Also related there is consultation on putting a Lidl on the peugeot site. Which for sevenoaks is just incredible and i'm surprised the residents haven't been out with pitchforks. Though they haven't burnt down the pound shop yet.

In Brittany, France the Lidl supermarkets are being frequented en masse by middle class British expats. How things have changed.

'Gold digger seeks sugar daddy' - Do rich fellas honestly go for this type?

Yeah because it's usually the hot ones that are this type!

I live in Asia so it's worse here, but if you want a very pretty girlfriend unless you are very handsome then you are going to have to be able to supply her with a comfortable living. And no girl will advertise themselves or openly state they like money, it's not that girls are materialistic or not but rather it's a scale.... if you can find a moderately materialistic hot girlfriend as opposed to be proper 'gold digger' then you are doing well.

Another thing I've noticed is, the hot girls who are not materialistic are usually the same ones who are more shy/ have less personality. Hot girls with personality have high standards in either requiring a handsome boyfriend, or rich, or both.

I recently dated two girls for a couple of months. One was very pretty but often boring and lacked an exciting/ energetic attitude to life, the other was less pretty (still nice) but had a great personality. No guesses to which one I went with. The second one is bisexual too which is just a great bonus, she's said she's willing to have threesomes in future ;)