House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Marina

Something To Put The Wind Up Estate Agents

I have noticed increasing desperation on the part of EAs to try to convince people to buy new properties. A block of flats near me has, over the last 6 months or so, had a huge sign outside with a flash along the bottom saying 30% sold, then 40% etc. It's now up to 90%.

I have just checked. No sales are recorded on nethouseprices. 5 cars have been parked in the car park for some time now - I assumed some had been bought. Maybe the developer is renting them?

However, telling lies like this is fraud and an attempt to rig a market. I am going to delve further and report the agent to trading standards.

I urge everyone else to do the same. A few cases making the news in Estate Agency News should inject a bit of honesty.

Another block near me finished for over 9 months now (no lies outside to be fair) but, having just checked, only 4 sales to date.

Dear oh dear, another 42 just being finished directly opposite and another 12 now finishing opposite the ones I first mentioned.

I guess the developer could afford to rent them - as the build costs are massively below the price they are trying to sell them for. Must keep a keener eye on the local market to see if the flats are advertised to rent.

I have just checked. No sales are recorded on nethouseprices. 5 cars have been parked in the car park for some time now - I assumed some had been bought.

It is fairly common for it to take a couple of months for a sale to appear on nhprices, also you will probably find is that lot of the 90% are currently SSTC rather than actually completed hence why they are still vacant

It is fairly common for it to take a couple of months for a sale to appear on nhprices, also you will probably find is that lot of the 90% are currently SSTC rather than actually completed hence why they are still vacant

I realise that - but the same 5 cars have been in the car park for months now. It looks like they had a flurry of sales when they first went on the market - must be over 6 months now - so I would have thought one of them might be on nethouseprices by now.

Likewise another block of 8 flats finished coming up to 2 years ago. On market at 255k - slithered down to 215k. Big sign outside - 8 luxury flats. The 8 got crossed out after a while and was replaced with a 3. Finally, a couple of months ago the big For Sale sign came down. Lots of To Let signs outside all the time.

Looking on nethouseprices - only 3 of them have ever sold.

these will be our new homes..

For whatever reason they thought fit the country at large has built one or two "Luxury flat" complexes..

They are not selling in Exeter either..

Even if prices were "sustainable long term everage" are there still too many..

a new develomnet near me has a row of 8 four bed detached houses I see as I drive past most days..

Now these were finished over a year ago.

and I have seen no sign of habitation in any.. one was rented for a bit.. a few months..

Two are now on the market.

the rest of the new estate had more affordable two bed houses.. a few are habitated.. but the overweight women sat around durring the day and "Rothman" cigarette butts all over the floor combined with screaming and dirty looking kids everywhere does not leave a genius to work out that they are being rented to the social..

How amny areas do we now have too many homes.. regardless of costs...?

This whole "luxury flats" thing gets my goat. It's crap.

Flats used to be a comfortably cheaper option than a traditional terrace or semi, built for young single people and the elderly who have relatively little money.

Now it seems they're building them en-masse, overpricing them spectacularly, and then expecting hoardes of the mythical "young professional" to flock to them.

They're even building them up north and in places where the prices are so divorced from the local economy that taking the piss is an understatement.

These BTL-led developments will crash the most. Who thinks that paper-mache flats are luxury?

The property industry and developers are all a bunch of crooks, who don't give a toss about the real housing needs of the UK.

Hi Marina,

Local Wokingham nosy parker here, which flats are these?

I'm really curious about what's going on where I live. Shops full, restaurants full midweek, can't get staff at work, houses being thrown up everywhere you look... and house prices down according to last LR figures.

Guest X-QUORK

I had a quick look in some EA windows this evening and noticed that Rightmove (this is in Banbury, Oxon) had a big Day-Glo star with REDUCED on every single property in the window! Now I wouldn't want to suggest foul play or anything, I'm sure they're a reputable company and all, but at least it shows prices heading in the right direction.

This whole "luxury flats" thing gets my goat. It's crap.

Flats used to be a comfortably cheaper option than a traditional terrace or semi, built for young single people and the elderly who have relatively little money.

Now it seems they're building them en-masse, overpricing them spectacularly, and then expecting hoardes of the mythical "young professional" to flock to them.

They're even building them up north and in places where the prices are so divorced from the local economy that taking the piss is an understatement.

These BTL-led developments will crash the most. Who thinks that paper-mache flats are luxury?

The property industry and developers are all a bunch of crooks, who don't give a toss about the real housing needs of the UK.

After the crash they will have become tatty and cr@ppy looking. The ones that are poorly located will be bought up by housing associations or, even worse, slumlords. They will be rented out to the poor. They will be the new concrete 60s tower blocks.

It could have been so different.

frugalista

After the crash they will have become tatty and cr@ppy looking. The ones that are poorly located will be bought up by housing associations or, even worse, slumlords. They will be rented out to the poor. They will be the new concrete 60s tower blocks.

It could have been so different.

frugalista

it is a true revolution in UK housing, and changes on this scale haven't occurred since the last of the cheapo Barbicans was finished in the 70s.

They will be regarded as a similarly shameful enterprise in 10+ years from now and "fingered" as the key element in the great HPC of 2005 onward