House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pent Up

Consumer Confidence 'at Record Low'

Indeedy. Admittedly, the survey has only been going since 2004, so caution needs to be excersied in relation to the 'long run average' quoted- I'm not sure that's based on any sort of normality, but nevertheless it seems perfectly logical that the destruction of a person's spending power via QE etc will result in less stuff being sold.

Nationwide found that the downbeat mood extended to the housing market, with consumers expecting house prices to fall by 0.6% over the next six months.

Whoop-de-doo

Still, I don't recall many of these prediction surveys where Joe Public has expected house prices to do anything but grow.

Whoop-de-doo

Still, I don't recall many of these prediction surveys where Joe Public has expected house prices to do anything but grow.

While the mean is interesting, I'd love to see the distribution of answers on that. How many proper bears (expecting >5%pa drops) are there out there now?

Not sure if they will. I was pretty depressed in October with a surge in sales, but they have definitely started to melt away. Maybe October was a one off influenced by the weather and a rebound from a pretty dreadful end of summer.

While the mean is interesting, I'd love to see the distribution of answers on that. How many proper bears (expecting >5%pa drops) are there out there now?

Depends how the question was asked: Do you think your house is going to go down in price / do you think your neighbour's house is going to go down in price