House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
garfy

Inventories And Disputes

Apologies in advance. i'm sure that this story is a repeat...

We've recently left a rented house and had the inventory checkout sent back to us by the clerk and everything was fine and as expected, a few 'fixes' required but nothing we've admitted to.

The landlord wasn't present at the checkout ( we were, although didn't hang around for the duration ).

The landlord has 'checked' his property since the inventory checkout and made a sizeable list of extra 'damage' to the property, some of which is already mentioned on the inventory check-in anyway, and the rest of which isn't mentioned on the checkout either.

My first question is: why bother with the inventory clerk services at all if the landlord can add damages afterwards anyway

My second question is: if / when we go through the dispute resolution process, is the inventory clerk's report taken into account or does the landlord's list form the basis for his claim?

my initial reaction was to say that the landlord's claims (and photographic 'evidence') are of no consequence, here's the inventory report, i'm only interested in discussing the points raised within that, but now i'm not so sure...

thanks

Apologies in advance. i'm sure that this story is a repeat...

We've recently left a rented house and had the inventory checkout sent back to us by the clerk and everything was fine and as expected, a few 'fixes' required but nothing we've admitted to.

The landlord wasn't present at the checkout ( we were, although didn't hang around for the duration ).

The landlord has 'checked' his property since the inventory checkout and made a sizeable list of extra 'damage' to the property, some of which is already mentioned on the inventory check-in anyway, and the rest of which isn't mentioned on the checkout either.

My first question is: why bother with the inventory clerk services at all if the landlord can add damages afterwards anyway

My second question is: if / when we go through the dispute resolution process, is the inventory clerk's report taken into account or does the landlord's list form the basis for his claim?

my initial reaction was to say that the landlord's claims (and photographic 'evidence') are of no consequence, here's the inventory report, i'm only interested in discussing the points raised within that, but now i'm not so sure...

thanks

I'm not a solicitor, but an after the event claim is unlikely to hold water unless you admit to the damages being claimed. If he didn't turn up for the checkout and it was conducted by ANOther on his behalf then that goes as an official record. He could have done the damage, others in the place since you vacated could have.

Also the discrepancy between checkin and checkout would be in you favour if you simply show the prior damage having been recognised but landlord attempting to claim. Not going to look good for him.

Just be careful what you say and put in writing. Should all work out in your favour. You are right, don't even recognise his unofficial after the event report. Stick with the facts.

Also the discrepancy between checkin and checkout would be in you favour if you simply show the prior damage having been recognised but landlord attempting to claim. Not going to look good for him.

This is correct.

Ive been through the exact same thing as the OP, with the TDS .

The Estate Agent was stupid enough to list the same damages on both reports. The check in and check out reports.

This proof that the damage was already existing when we moved in, showed proof of their fraudulent intentions, which I pointed out to the TDS.

My own landlord, along with the Estate Agent, tried to claim my deposit, and about one hundred pounds more, by listing existing damages. [Damages already listed on the check in report. The original inventory of condition]

I pointed this out to the Estate agent and the TDS.

That many of the damages they had listed were on the original inventory of condition.

They [The Estate agent and Landlord] realised their mistake, and then changed the list of damages, which they then sent to the TDS.

[Luckily, I could prove that the damages on the check out list they sent to me, was different to the list they sent the TDS.]

I realised they had done this, as the TDS are obliged to give you the Estate Agents correspondence, and so, I sent the original inventory check in list of damages to the TDS, along with the moving out list of damages, showing the replication.

The TDS dismissed their claim. [instead of paying about £600, I ended up giving them a platry £30 or thereabouts.

Estate Agents and Landlords are, in the majority, thieving bastards, who almost expect to receive your bond, almost as a matter of course.......

Also, if they have been doing three monthly inspections, get the list of the inspection reports from the Estate Agent. If they have not listed new damage, on those three monthly inspections, then it also aids your case. As it shows no damage has occured.

The industry is completely unregulated. Charlatans, Sharks, Sharp Practice, are par for the course. For Instance, during the dispute, Reeds Rains, were constantly quoting and sending me regulations, they said they had to abide by, from the Association of Residential Letting Agents.

It then transpired that they were not even members of the ARL!

I informed the ARL, who did not give a monkeys. [All the numbers of the residential governing bodies, were basically the same as the NAEA]

Allow them some room to make stupid mistakes. Don't hover over them, when they are compiling the final inventory of condition, pointing out to them that those damages were already there when you moved in. Get it all in writing first.

Ive been renting for 15 years, and this was the first time I got my bond back. I wouldnt have done without the TDS

Post the outcome on here.

Good Luck

Edited by Milton

an update at last!

last week we finally got the balance of our deposit returned to us. they made us wait weeks and weeks for it, but we got back £2300 on a £2400 deposit, the amount we originally offered as compensation anyway, although now i feel that even the £100 we offered was a bit generous on our part.

it didn't even get as far as arbitration ( deposit was held by TDS ), the agent/landlady dropped the compensation figure being claimed again and again in what seemed some sort of bluffing game on their part to get as much out of us as they could, eventually the landlady stopped responding to the agent so they just returned our money. bit bizarre, but frustrating all the same.

another odd thing, once we had handed our notice in, the estate agent said that another property management company would handle everything. yet when we called this other property management company they were actually the same estate agent??? can i give the names of these companies on this site?

one thing we didn't realise when taking on the place was that it was an 'unmanaged let'.. worth checking what this entails when renting somewhere

thanks again for all the useful information on this website