House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Millions Of Families Cut Every Last Luxury To Make Ends Meet... Even Bubble Baths

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2062069/Millions-families-cut-luxury-make-ends-meet.html

Millions of families have been forced to ‘ruthlessly’ change their lifestyles by cutting out every luxury from holidays to children’s activities and even bubble bath.

A major study paints a bleak picture of those in crisis who are having to cut back to all but essential spending.

Published today, the report is one of the biggest investigations into how families are coping in the aftermath of recession.

At a time when the economy urgently needs people to spend, it is ‘clearly a picture of a nation cutting back’.

Families are reducing their spending to the basics by ‘ruthlessly removing luxuries from budgets to not only make ends meet but also provide additional security in the form of savings’, the report says.

I must be a millionaire we've still got bubble bath.

I think they main point is are people starting to live within their means.

When I was a kid we sometimes couldnt buy food.

My mum used to call Wednesdays "The Lord's my Sheppard Day"

Life's tough...get used to it.

You just have to get on with it, its impossible to shop in tiffanys and bvlgari on a Sunday over here but people are resourceful and learn to adapt

I don't think you've seen the worst yet.

Sodding Labour - it'll take many, many years to get the country's finances sorted out.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment and very much so with your prediction, I'm not sure the Tories would have done anything different had they had the reins prior to the crash.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment and very much so with your prediction, I'm not sure the Tories would have done anything different had they had the reins prior to the crash.

I dont remember ANY Tory raising the eyebrow of doubt when in opposition.

:lol:

to be fair Osbourn did highlight to Brown how the UK should of been following the Irish model

I do remember the Tories, and Maggie in fact, encouraging Yuppie culture and a get rich quick and spend flash money culture. Played a big part in it all, keeping up with the Jones'.

Edited for spelling.

I do remember the Tories, and Maggie in fact, encouraging Yuppie culture and a get rich quick and spend flash money culture. Played a big part in it all, keeping up with the Jones'.

Edited for spelling.

yep, I rode that particular boom...to doom.

I don't think you've seen the worst yet.

Sodding Labour - it'll take many, many years to get the country's finances sorted out.

I agree with you neither individuals nor the Government are making the necessary cut backs. Carry on at the present rate and households will default en mass and the Government will too. A case of kicking the can down the road, bury your head in the sands PIIGS-style.

Got to get real we have an economy that produces very little tiered with benefits claimants, the retired and public sector trying to squeeze juice out of a private sector that is producing very little too and trying to support the top three privileged tiers.

yep, I rode that particular boom...to doom.

In keeping with the thread. It would have been a better article had the accompanying photo demonstrated the bubble less bath economy.

Oh my god ... no... not the bubble bath.

The bubble bath we used to buy has more than doubled in price this year (and it was budget stuff then). Have since discovered Sainsbury's baby bubble bath - does the same job, for 70% less of the price.

Indeed - no criticism at all of the out of control credit bubble during the boom years. No-one wants to rock the boat by pointing out awkward truths when things are going so 'well'.

Plenty of criticism of QE when in opposition of course ... until they got into government. Printing money is always going to be the path chosen by politicians when the times get tough.

Anyway, people had better get used to making cuts in their living standards because inflation is going to run ahead of any income increases for most people (bankers, CEOs and politicians excluded of course), for the foreseeable future.

How much is bubble bath anyway???! The economy stuff can't be much more than 40p a bottle. Either the Wail thinks that bubble bath is some kind of expensive luxury, or people are struggling so much that they can't afford 40p, which seems unlikely.

...you could wash your hair in the bath for the same effect, or a couple of drops of washing-up-liquid under running water would do the trick...... ;)

I bathe once a week, but at least I don't have to use my brothers second hand bathwater anymore.

The bubble bath we used to buy has more than doubled in price this year (and it was budget stuff then). Have since discovered Sainsbury's baby bubble bath - does the same job, for 70% less of the price.

Sorry but I find the stuff utterly unnecessary. It goes in the list along with fabric conditioner.

Rather than people call me a stingy git, I'll play the environmental card.

I don't use bubble bath and fabric conditioner because they are bad for the envrionment, and all those that do are evil.

I assume this is the Sun Dried Bubble Bath.....

me Im going to try a toast sandwich for lunch as recommended on R4 this morning

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2062073/Austerity-sandwich-Cheapest-lunch-UK-toast-2-slices-bread.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

How much is bubble bath anyway???! The economy stuff can't be much more than 40p a bottle. Either the Wail thinks that bubble bath is some kind of expensive luxury, or people are struggling so much that they can't afford 40p, which seems unlikely.

You don't think the indebted put Netto no frills in their baths do you, strictly Heathcote and Ivory Vintage collection for them. The Netto brand is strictly for those who like growing their assets.

Indeed - no criticism at all of the out of control credit bubble during the boom years. No-one wants to rock the boat by pointing out awkward truths when things are going so 'well'.

Plenty of criticism of QE when in opposition of course ... until they got into government. Printing money is always going to be the path chosen by politicians when the times get tough.

Anyway, people had better get used to making cuts in their living standards because inflation is going to run ahead of any income increases for most people (bankers, CEOs and politicians excluded of course), for the foreseeable future.

I agree, cutting back and learning to do things differently in new innovative ways and sharing skills and resources has got to be better and far more healthier than ranking up costly debt, debt that lets others get rich quicker off the back of the spoilt or lazy or those with enough money they can afford to waste it instead of saving up for it......if people have less to spend and they refuse to borrow, prices will be forced to stabilize.....no customers = no market. ;)

Two sentences in the article set alarm bells ringing for me:

in the aftermath of recession.

At a time when the economy urgently needs people to spend, it is ‘clearly a picture of a nation cutting back’.

Sounds like twaddle to me. Trying to make people think we're out of recession and that it's peoples' duty to spend. It's a regurgitated press release anyway, from an insurance company presumably trying to stop people cutting back on insurance.