House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie The Tramp Returns

Bus, Coach Drivers D1 D D+E And Hgv Drivers C1 C C+E

After obtaining their PCV licence passing the Theory and Hazard Perception tests for drivers of large vehicles and then their Practical Test, they then have to go on to pass their CPC ( Certificate of Professional Competence ) this consists of a Module 2 Theory and a Module 4 Practical which they must pass to obtain their CPC and gain a Driver Qualification Card which lasts for 5 years and cannot carry passengers unless they hold this qualification and the card is current. Then they have to attend a further 7 hours CPC training each year for 5 years to get their DQC renewed and the same every 5 year window.

What about those old salts who have been driving for years they have been given Grandfather rights given their DQC but must attend the training modules 7 hours a year for 5 years and so on. Many of them are not happy one said to me they want to teach me to suck eggs. :D

How do I know I just paid out £3k to get my Lad through it after he was unable to get regular employment for 2 years pipped at the post by you know who in Food Retail.

Where does this all come from stand up the European Union. :rolleyes:

Not to worry wait until these highly qualified drivers want the rewards for their Professionalism. ;)

I take it you have a fair amount of savings?

Have you managed to find work, I gather, you were, or are currently unemployed?

Good on you for putting your son through the qualifications, a friend of mine has just got work driving again, and the pay is quite alright. Wouldn't mind getting into it myself to be honest. But didn't you drive before?

Sorry if I am prying, feel free to ignore me.

Must just correct you here, this is not the Certificate of Professional Competence, which is a RSA examination required to hold an Operators Licence, this is a Drivers Certificate of Professional Competence, and although it is broadly as you describe it, it is attendance based and cannot be failed.

I take it you have a fair amount of savings?

Have you managed to find work, I gather, you were, or are currently unemployed?

Good on you for putting your son through the qualifications, a friend of mine has just got work driving again, and the pay is quite alright. Wouldn't mind getting into it myself to be honest. But didn't you drive before?

Sorry if I am prying, feel free to ignore me.

I retired from my Business 8 years ago at the age of 60, Mrs CTT and myself through all the years married, now 42 years invested just to ensure we were financially secure in our retirement.

I put my Lad through it to finally get rid of him as he keeps bouncing back when his relationships break up and he is unemployed. So with this qualification he should always be able to find work even if he has to relocate, hopefully 500 miles away so Mrs CTT and myself can finally find peace in our retirement, hence my profile description which is self explaining. :D

Must just correct you here, this is not the Certificate of Professional Competence, which is a RSA examination required to hold an Operators Licence, this is a Drivers Certificate of Professional Competence, and although it is broadly as you describe it, it is attendance based and cannot be failed.

Correct, slap my wrists for not being explicit but that applies to the follow on when you have initially gained the qualification where you have to pass a Theory and Practical Test.

True but the additional training is to keep you up to date with new regulations and technology as you have already proved you are competent, probably have years of experience and are willing to suck eggs without complaining. :D

I haven't done any of my DCPC yet (I have until September 2014) although I'm doing the CPC starting next week and although that is massively more complex, surprisingly it doesn't count towards DCPC time. People I know who have done the first two modules of the DCPC say they didn't learn anything at all that they didn't know already.

I haven't done any of my DCPC yet (I have until September 2014) although I'm doing the CPC starting next week and although that is massively more complex, surprisingly it doesn't count towards DCPC time. People I know who have done the first two modules of the DCPC say they didn't learn anything at all that they didn't know already.

Nobody has got it yet this has been an exercise in jobs created for the boys ( as normal in the EU), I had it in my Business £30K to comply with QA ISO 9002 and suddenly all these bods appeared inspecting us and charging twice a year for the privilege. Did it make us a better Company? No way, it made us less efficient doing a lot of useless paperwork, we lost the close relationship with our customers, the reason I retired early and got out. :rolleyes:

Does it apply if you're from eastern Europe?

Yes if they obtain a job as a Bus or Coach Driver, my Nephew who is a Bus Driver has Polish Drivers at his Depot who hold the DCPC although he says without prejudice he would not travel on their buses. :D

If it's anything like road transport, one Pole takes the driving test and DCPC, and then eight of them sign up with different driving agencies using the same licences. ;)

I do wonder when the lack of C1 licenses is going to bite. No-one under 31(post 97) can drive anything heavier than a LWB transit, at some point there is bound to be a shortage of drivers for the mid size vans.

I haven't got any modules either but hopefully the clause of driving not being your main occupation should mean I can still drive occasionally if I need/want to.

I do wonder when the lack of C1 licenses is going to bite. No-one under 31(post 97) can drive anything heavier than a LWB transit, at some point there is bound to be a shortage of drivers for the mid size vans.

Don't think it will in a big way tbh - the only incentive to operators to run 7.5 tonners was cheaper driver's wages. Fleet profiles will be more 10/13/18 ton and 3.5ton vans with 7.5t declining. Probably means the public will pay more for furniture and white goods though.

Edit to add I do think DCPC will cause driver shortage though and it'll be interesting to see the govt's response.

Not in favour of DCPC as think it does nothing for road safety (if anything potentially worsens). Was in favour of driving 7.5 tonners on a car licence going and wouldn't have left the grandfather rights either. Totally different driving a 7.5 tonner to a car/3.5t van.

Totally different driving a 7.5 tonner to a car/3.5t van.

Yes, as much as anything, 7.5 tonners have air brakes which are a completely different animal to hydraulic brakes.

you need a degree to be a van driver these days.

Attendance based pass...sounds like being a banker...turn up, collect bonus.