House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hectors House

Chocolate Bars

Remember when wagon wheels were massive, when a mars bar filled you up?

Were you a kid in 1976 when Yorkies were invented? big con at the time Mars bar = 10p Yorkies = 40p (how was that allowed to happen?)

In 1976, Eric Nicoli spotted a gap in the confectionery market and used the cheap cocoa from Rowntree's favourable futures market position to launch Yorkie

Wiki - Yorkie Bar

Most confectionery companies claim that its our childhood memories that make us think that choccy bars were bigger, however...

It has fuelled thousands of big hairy truckers and it's definitely not for girls, but Yorkie bars have been losing some of their chunkability.

Nestle Ireland has quietly been shrinking the size of Yorkie Bars and Aeros as the price of chocolate rises.

The giant confectionery company confirmed to the Sunday Independent that Yorkies had indeed shrunk from 68 grammes to 64.5 grammes last February. Back in 2002 Yorkie bars were as big as 70 grammes, so the bars have decreased by around 8 per cent in just eight years. Yorkie King size bars have also had a bite taken out of them.

It's not just Yorkie that has shrunk, as Nestle has also hacked more than 10 per cent off standard Aero bars in the last year, shrinking from 46 grammes down to a measly 41 grammes in 2009. Aero sharing bars were reduced from 125 grammes to 120 grammes. Nestle Ireland declined to comment on whether Irish consumers were paying the same price for these smaller bars.

"Occasionally we make small changes to the size of our products, driven by a number of factors, including anything from a product reformulation to a change in packaging," said a spokeswoman.

Last year, Cadbury directed the "shrink ray" at some of its bars. Cadbury Ireland has also confirmed that Irish consumers will pay higher prices. "We have taken the necessary decision to increase prices across our range due to a number of economic factors," the company said. It declined to give out the price change as it was "commercially sensitive".

It may not be for girls, but Yorkie no longer man-sized

So those wagon wheels may really have been bigger as we all thought!

Wiki says

There have been many debates amongst fans of the biscuit about the size, especially Gary Hall. Wagon Wheels have supposedly shrunk in size as time has progressed, but Burton's Foods Ltd have denied this. It has been suggested that the supposed shrinkage is due to an adult's childhood memory of eating a Wagon Wheel held in a much smaller hand.

I can remember when Wagon Wheels were sold in a multi-pack box, they were definitely bigger

I can remember when a Curly Wurly was the size of a bricklayer's spirit level ;)

I seem to remember they were very long.

Noting shrinking portions on everything from frozen ready meals to bags of crisps - lately I'm feeling like a giant as my hand dwarfs the packs which once just about fitted in my grip

I posted this a few days ago 250g Cadburys bars are down to 230g. The 150g bar went down to 140g about a year and a half ago. In the last month they have gone down to 120g.

Roast chicken legs - 2 in a packet - have got smaller in M&S. I went in to M&S this week to look at some deserts as I am going to a dinner party tomorrow night and I noticed that a lot of their deserts now look noticeably smaller.

550ml and 600ml bottles of beer are down to 500ml.

I treated myself to a chunky Kit-Kat recently (yes, indulgent I know), but I had to chuck the last third away as it tasted like cheap sugary shite. :(

I don't know about these bars getting smaller, but the cocoa content is being reduced to the point where I'm unsure if these should be called 'chocolate bars' any more - more like 'chocolate flavoured sugar and fat bars' (which admittedly isn't quite as catchy).

Yes, I rarely eat chocolate so the change is more dramatic whenever I do, Cadbury's Dairy Milk also seems to have had its cocoa content massively reduced.

Agree that your name is not very snappy, how about calling it "Lardolate"?

I posted this a few days ago 250g Cadburys bars are down to 230g. The 150g bar went down to 140g about a year and a half ago. In the last month they have gone down to 120g.

Roast chicken legs - 2 in a packet - have got smaller in M&S. I went in to M&S this week to look at some deserts as I am going to a dinner party tomorrow night and I noticed that a lot of their deserts now look noticeably smaller.

550ml and 600ml bottles of beer are down to 500ml.

I was in a supermarket today and the pack of 6 tomatoes is now a pack of 5 - except the pack does say 6 (just the one pack had 5)

I treated myself to a chunky Kit-Kat recently (yes, indulgent I know), but I had to chuck the last third away as it tasted like cheap sugary shite. :(

I don't know about these bars getting smaller, but the cocoa content is being reduced to the point where I'm unsure if these should be called 'chocolate bars' any more - more like 'chocolate flavoured sugar and fat bars' (which admittedly isn't quite as catchy).

When I go abroad, I have to take plenty of packs of Kit Kat Chunky and the ordinary packs for people I know there because the Kit Kats there are not as good as Britain's. If what you're saying is correct, check you had a UK Kit-Kat. If you did, it sounds worryingly like they are importing them now.

btw, when over in Poland despite sharing a flight with Cadbury Poland execs I forgot to ask them why I can't find any Cadbury stuff in Polish shops, if anyone knows drop me a line as sometimes I could murder a Flake

Apparently the French (or their counterparties in Brussels) were bang out of order when they made a fuss about that to protect the ignorant english savages from the rapacious corporations...

Iirc The webste anicecupofteaandasitdown did a story about the wagon wheel a few years ago, it seemed to conclude that the original tooling for the production of the larger wheels was sold or moved to Australia where they now enjoy the old sized wagon wheels, under a different name. Maybe someone from Oz can confirm?

Iirc The webste anicecupofteaandasitdown did a story about the wagon wheel a few years ago, it seemed to conclude that the original tooling for the production of the larger wheels was sold or moved to Australia where they now enjoy the old sized wagon wheels, under a different name. Maybe someone from Oz can confirm?

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/previous.php3?item=64

When I go abroad, I have to take plenty of packs of Kit Kat Chunky and the ordinary packs for people I know there because the Kit Kats there are not as good as Britain's. If what you're saying is correct, check you had a UK Kit-Kat. If you did, it sounds worryingly like they are importing them now.

btw, when over in Poland despite sharing a flight with Cadbury Poland execs I forgot to ask them why I can't find any Cadbury stuff in Polish shops, if anyone knows drop me a line as sometimes I could murder a Flake

Hmmm, maybe they're standardising to lowest common denominator then. It was from a large chain grocers, so not your usual suspect corner shop who might be trying to save a few pennies by importing from abroad....

Asda white chocolate - strawberry - not horribly expensive but very nice and nibbly. We have been eeking out a bar for over a week now.

173707.jpg

If it is truly as good as you say, it wouldn't have made it home from the supermarket.

Those where the days...thick slabs of chocolate around a biscuit centre....now you can see the biscuit through the chocolate.

Feck, that was an expensive re-make of the Wizard of Oz film. The Lion guy looks identical to the original actor. I thought it was the original film until I realised it was not Judy Garland - all to advertise a chocolate biscuit.