House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Uk Inflation Expected To Ease Modestly To 5.1Pc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8889496/UK-inflation-expected-to-ease-modestly-to-5.1pc.html

The official measure of inflation - the consumer prices index - is forecast to fall to 5.1pc from 5.2pc in September.

"Fingers crossed, this may prove to the peak in inflation," said Vicky Redwood, economist at Capital Economics.

It's eased lets print more funny money!!!

The official measure of inflation - the consumer prices index - is forecast to fall to 5.1pc from 5.2pc in September.

We're saved!

Fingers crossed?

yes, fingers crossed that Merv is correct about inflation falling back. On a related note about false hope, I see a lot more more bankers doing the lottery now. I am sure there is an index in there somewhere, maybe something like lottery tickets sold in square mile. Does anyone know if Camelot release ticket sales by postcode or similar?

yes, fingers crossed that Merv is correct about inflation falling back. On a related note about false hope, I see a lot more more bankers doing the lottery now. I am sure there is an index in there somewhere, maybe something like lottery tickets sold in square mile. Does anyone know if Camelot release ticket sales by postcode or similar?

Given I always considered the lottery to be a stupidity tax - does that mean the proportion of non-numerate bankers has increased? (Insert your own jokes here)

Given I always considered the lottery to be a stupidity tax - does that mean the proportion of non-numerate bankers has increased? (Insert your own jokes here)

Probably not, like all industries there is a certain amount of dross; just so happens that the consequences of said dross' collective actions vary wildly by industry. But yes, lottery is a stupidity tax, but you have to consider the utility value of that £1 spent on a ticket by someone earning a few hundred grand a year vs someone on JSA; weighted probability of upside far outweighs the downside for the banker but less so for someone living off 68 quid a week.

Inflation is an acceleration.

We are still accelerating...only not by quite as much,

But the BBC told me that inflation is "the cost of living" so things must be getting cheaper now that inflation has gone down? Are you telling me I shouldn't trust the BBC?

Savings going up by 4-5% net per year. Check

Local house prices dropping by a similar amount. Check.

Another few years of this and If I do decide to get a place it should be for a reasonable amount and in cash with lots of change to spare.

Now let's just see if they can avert a total collapse. :lol:

But the BBC told me that inflation is "the cost of living" so things must be getting cheaper now that inflation has gone down? Are you telling me I shouldn't trust the BBC?

I'm telling you that you should consider the information provided by the BBC carefully - especially the news read by the people employed more for their prettiness than their grasp of the world ;)

Peter.

It's eased lets print more funny money!!!

Indeed, let's not forget that our trade deficit hit a record recently. Clearly the medicine is not strong enough. We need an even cheaper pound! People don't understand the threat to our economy and that's why they are out spending and buying all these foreign goods. Something has to be done to prop up domestic demand, cos mark my words, infaltion at these levels will kill it stone dead soon. Germany meanwhile is struggling with a strong euro. Just as well it had an accelerating trade surplus, otherwise think of the mess it would be in.

The only way I can speak so confidently and logically about such things is by listening to government economists and BoE memebers. I suggest you all do the same and open your eyes.

And the third government federal agency I will abolish is .... erm, the epa .... no ... just print more money!

:blink:

Edited by Sledgehead

For those of you getting sick of stories like this:

New buy-to-let boom fuelled by higher rents

Demand for buy-to-let mortgages has increased significantly in recent months as landlords rush to cash in on the continuing boom in rental prices, according to the Bank of England.

Both tenants and first-time buyers, then, face a bleak future: squeezed out of the market by house prices that remain high across swathes of the country, and soaring rents charged by landlords.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/oct/22/new-buy-to-let-boom

...the current 12-month increase in rents as measured by CPI and RPI is 2.9% and 3.0% respectively. The annualised 3-month increase is c. 1.6% p.a.

Over the past ten years housing rents have risen by roughly 2.5% p.a. on average according to the ONS, about the same as the overall CPI and below the rate of RPI.

Of course, ONS could be understating the real numbers. :ph34r:

I'm telling you that you should consider the information provided by the BBC carefully - especially the news read by the people employed more for their prettiness than their grasp of the world ;)

Peter.

What, like Sophie Raworth?

Edited by or in excess of

What, like Sophie Raworth?

I think you need to compare and contrast the cast of non-BBC soaps with the cast of BBC soaps. I assue you, casting directors for both are hiring people they believe the public will fancy.

Indeed, let's not forget that our trade deficit hit a record recently. Clearly the medicine is not strong enough. We need an even cheaper pound! People don't understand the threat to our economy and that's why they are out spending and buying all these foreign goods. Something has to be done to prop up domestic demand, cos mark my words, infaltion at these levels will kill it stone dead soon. Germany meanwhile is struggling with a strong euro. Just as well it had an accelerating trade surplus, otherwise think of the mess it would be in.

The only way I can speak so confidently and logically about such things is by listening to government economists and BoE memebers. I suggest you all do the same and open your eyes.

And the third government federal agency I will abolish is .... erm, the epa .... no ... just print more money!

:blink:

and half of Europe is in the process of defaulting on them.

I just tried out the BBC's personal inflation calculator that they're showing on the news website, and I'm wondering if they're simply incompetent or just a bunch of liars. News to the BBC staff: rent inflation in London is not 2.7% a year (try closer to 6%). The calculator includes wildly low estimates for some big ticket items, so it's going to underestimate real inflation for most people.